By Chicago Transit Authority
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Ride CTA, Metra & Pace with Ventra: Manage your fares, buy Metra mobile tickets, get arrivals.
Use transit in and around all of Chicago: It's easy to manage and pay your fare on CTA, Metra and Pace buses and trains with the Ventra app. Find all the features you're used to on the Ventra website and more, including mobile ticketing for Metra trains!
With the Ventra app, you can:
• Check your balance and available passes in your Ventra Card's transit account.
• Instantly load value or passes to your Ventra Card's transit account.
• Switch autoload for transit value or passes on and off.
• Buy and use Metra mobile tickets to ride any Metra train.
• Use transit value you've loaded to buy a Metra ticket.
• Get real-time account notifications so you know when it's time to load more fare or buy more tickets.
• Get real-time arrival/departure information from CTA, Metra and Pace all in one app—by picking a stop, using favorites or looking at service near where you're standing.
What's New in Version 1.3.1
We’ve added a NEW Multiple Riders feature in My Metra Tickets to make it easier to launch multiple Metra tickets at once for whenever you’re traveling with friends & family!
Other good stuff:
• Added option to switch to nearby stops from Transit Tracker favorites listing
• Added directional information to Pace bus services in Transit Tracker
• More intuitive payment selection options when paying for a Metra Ticket or transit pass with Ventra transit value
• Improved Metra weekend ticket display
• Shows more complete validity info for monthly CTA Link-Up and Pace PlusBus passes (these special passes are available only to people with a corresponding Metra monthly ticket)
• Accessibility improvements
• Performance improvements and bug fixes
I have no complaints with connectivity... I have great service provider to thank for that! And I haven't had to reset my password or anything like that, so this is good! CTA (bus and train) estimates are pretty accurate, which is a major plus! I also love how I can add value to my card via app, and not have to physically go up to a ventra box, this makes my commute so much easier. Especially when I'm running behind schedule.
My troubles come in with the PACE buses. The tracking isn't accurate at all. In fact, it's set and stone with the times. It'd be much better if it was tracked by GPS, similar to the CTA. (Ex. There's a stop at my job scheduled for 5:36 - EVERYDAY, EVERYTIME I check it around 5pm it says the same thing) and the bus is RARELY there at 5:36. Usually within ten minutes before or after.
Secondly, I have a card that I can't register on this app, apparently because it's registered somewhere else. It'd be nice to register the same card on multiple accounts for shared users.
Metra tickets useless without a signal
Even though Metra tickets are stored on your device so that - to quote directly from the Ventra Chicago website - "your tickets are still available even if you need to use your ticket in a place where you don't have an Internet connection", the app won't let you do anything if you don't have an internet connection because it gives you an Alert that says "you must connect to our servers before proceeding" that you can't close.
Worse, you can only move monthly passes between devices once. My iPhone died recently and I had my monthly pass moved to my iPad so I could still access the ticket while I got my phone fixed. Turns out, since I don't have cell access on my iPad, I can't access the ticket at all. Now I'm out $171. Thanks, Ventra.
This application is horrible!
I have the application more than a year ago. I went to website and updated my info, including my phone number, result application crashed and don't have access to my storage Metra tickets! And other things. I contacted Customer in service by email and by phone. In may last contact by phone the smart idea from the representative was to erase my phone to factory levels and reinstall the fabulous Ventra app. I said I won't do that because I wouldn't risk to lost all the info I have in my phone, her answer: "then you have to go and buy your tickets on paper" amazing answer, isn't it?
Well now I have to deprive myself to ride Metra because I won't pay more for a ticket when I buy it on paper and thank you very much to the customer unserviceable representative!