AutoPad is the easiest way for your band to run background pads!
AutoPad is a tool for musicians that helps you easily run ambient pad loops. Simply tap a key to start a pad, and AutoPad will provide a tasteful soundscape that plays for as long as you desire. Natural crossfades between keys are handled automatically.
- AutoPad has two modes: LIVE mode gives you instant access to all twelve keys, while SETLIST mode allows you to create a custom list of songs.
- AutoPad comes with 10 carefully designed pad sounds. Each one provides a unique atmosphere in all 12 keys.
- AutoPad's menu gives you control over crossfade time, two filters, reverb amount, pan, and volume.
- AutoPad features a built-in metronome. Keep your band locked in without needing to lug around a tracks rig.
- AutoPad works with Audiobus 3 and Inter App Audio (IAA) so you can run your pads alongside your other IAA-enabled apps using Audiobus 3, AUM, and others.
- AutoPad responds to MIDI! Plug in a MIDI controller or use a MIDI-enabled app to control AutoPad.
- AutoPad features a dark color scheme that is easy on the eyes and performs well on the stage.
- For iPhones SE and 6S and older, AutoPad may only work with Audiobus 3 and IAA while headphones are plugged in. This is a known issue and is unavoidable at this time.
New in AutoPad 1.6.1:
- Minor improvements and bug fixes.
- Update for iOS 12.
Ratings and Reviews
Great Foundation, Needs more Development
Some huge pros:
• the app is STABLE, no crashing, audio is seamless, even when switching between apps
• it's straightforward in its layout, which is a big plus when working on stage
Honestly seeing that this is v1 makes me extremely excited for what it could become. Autopad already is set to be one of the most useful tools in my arsenal. A couple of recommendations:
• add volume control within the app: pads are a bit quiet compared to other apps like Bebot and GarageBand
• add minor chords
• create a way to cycle through a setlist, allow users to create their own grid with what they will need
• also definitely create a way to mess with some of the Pad timbres, such as add more motion or movement, swells, brighten/dampen with low pass filters, etc.
I showed a friend of mine this, and we both agreed it's a great start. It's just the tones, although they're well designed, are rather plane without any kind of background melodic movement like synth swells and chorusy delay/verb chains.
Great idea for an app! A cool future feature would be to have the ability to blend in additional intervals (2nds, 5ths, 7ths). Having the ability to fade those intervals in and out would give this so much more character and make it a more musical tool. I found that I can tap two pads at the same time—sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. However, fading in specific intervals would be better. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.
Functional and great idea with room for improvement
This app has been a lifesaver for weeks when a live keys player is not available. It helps keep the band glued together especially during transitions and underscore moments.
A few suggestions for improvement:
**An in-app volume control - it's cumbersome in a live setting to adjust the volume using the iPad volume button. Would be much better to have a volume slider or knob in the interface itself.
**As far as I know it's not possible to have this run in stereo. An option for stereo would be helpful.
**Clearer visual cue if the pad is fired--Right now it's really difficult to tell visually if the pad is fired--it's only a faint outline around the key selected. Maybe if the whole button is lit up in a different color would be helpful?
Overall, good app. A few tweaks here and there would make it really stellar!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the feedback! So glad the app is useful for you. I've just updated AutoPad to v 1.1 which has a new, clearer button animation. The sounds in AutoPad are stereo and the app does send a stereo signal out the headphone jack. If you run into any issues, feel free to get a hold of me through my support page, thanks! I am working on in-app parameter controls for the next update!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.