Happy Birthday to The Very Hungry Caterpillar! Celebrating 50 wonderful years, your app now includes special bonus content, including a special message from author Eric Carle himself!
#1 Education app in over 25 countries!
Hungry Caterpillar Play School is certified by the kidSAFE Seal Program. To learn more go to www.kidsafeseal.com.
"This is a marvelous learning app for toddlers to kindergarten-age kids because of its range and content." - Common Sense Media.
Your little caterpillar deserves every chance to succeed. Eric Carle's Hungry Caterpillar Play School is specifically designed to give young children every advantage they need in math, spelling, reading, writing, science, nature studies & creative arts. Help your child get ahead and school-ready with internationally recognized early learning goals.
Learning should be fun! We've made sure your child's experience is filled with wonder and humor, as well as leveraging the most up to date best practices in children's education.
EVERYTHING YOUR PRESCHOOLER NEEDS IN ONE APP:
• SHAPES AND COLORS: Prepare children for understanding math, art, reading & writing.
• ABC SECTION: Establishes the building blocks for reading success. Learn about the letters of the alphabet & how they join together to make words.
• 123 SECTION: Guides kids through every concept they need to learn to set them up for math proficiency. Repetition is key, so we’ve specifically designed this section to be different every time.
• ART SECTION: Expand your child’s imagination and encourage artistic expression. Budding artists can draw, paint, color, design & create in unique ways: Paint or cut out collages. As little fingers play & explore they’ll discover all sorts of fun features.
• PUZZLES: Age appropriate puzzles are so important in childhood development. Jigsaws teach children to use their own minds to figure out how to solve problems. Plus they're fun!
• One of the best ways to encourage your child to read, is to read to them. LEARN ABOUT THE WORLD BOOKS are engaging non-fiction titles specifically tailored for young children. These books are read aloud to your child & feature themes of nature, science & art.
• LEARN TO READ BOOKS are a tailored reading experience guiding children through the early reading levels. These titles are designed for independent reading but if your readers encounter a word they don’t know, they can tap on that word & it will be read aloud. These interactive books encourage kids to learn at their own pace.
• NEW SPECIAL 50th ANNIVERSARY SECTION: A very special book featuring Eric Carle's most beloved characters. 10 Little Rubber Ducks video. A special message from Eric Carle.
• Subjects are supported & enhanced by SONGS & VIDEOS to deepen your child's learning. Songs are a proven learning tool used by teachers all over the world.
Marvel as your child grows, and takes off — just like a butterfly.
If you're experiencing any issues email us firstname.lastname@example.org
**This app is optimized for iPad 4 and above, iPhone 5S and above, iPad Mini 2 and above.
To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the first publication of The Very Hungry Caterpillar we've cooked up some extra special treats!
- Now you can feed the caterpillar: Earn rewards for him by doing activities. Watch him grow!
- Bonus new book WHO IS HERE? (Featuring Eric Carle's most beloved characters)
- Watch the amazing 10 LITTLE RUBBER DUCKS video. Perfect for a bedtime story.
- Special animated message from author Eric Carle outlining where the idea for The Very Hungry Caterpillar came from.
Ratings and Reviews
Looks pretty good so far but FIX TYPOS, please!
We just started our free trial, as our three year old loves Eric Carle (and quite frankly, the limited content was way too limited to get a real sense of the app). We are enjoying the bright colors, familiar characters, and variety of games/subjects.
Since the book section wasn’t available in our limited content exploration, we went to read one—the one about the frog. The pictures are cute, the information is age appropriate and the animations, though limited, are fun (the sound effects are especially appreciated by my preschooler). BUT! Imagine my surprise to find a typo! Yes it’s a common mistake —“its” incorrectly is spelled “it’s”—but COME ON!!! This is a LEARNING APP and there are grammar errors?!! Not cool. Not appreciated. And definitely NOT what I expect from anything Eric Carle-related (he’s a Big Deal in our household).
For the money that we are expected to pay with the auto-renewal, I expect better editing and proofreading. Please look over AND CORRECT the text of the books and other sections of the app as part of the next update!
Developer Response ,
Hi ShiGold. Thanks for your feedback, and well spotted! We will of course correct this as soon as possible. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Great app! Please don’t let Mickey ruin it again!
Update 1/3/19: I appreciate the apology. Have revised from 1 to 5 stars. It’s a great app provided Mickey Mouse stays far away.
Original 12/25 review: This has been the only app I’ve ever let my 2.5 year old use. I’ve paid more for this app than any other. After using the free trial, we subsequently paid for the subscription and it has helped my kid learn letters and numbers. I’ve appreciated the relative simplicity and the lack of flashiness when compared with similar educational apps. Until this morning.
This morning, Mickey Mouse Disney ads started popping up every minute. It’s ruining the experience and is infuriating. We’ll be cancelling if this isn’t eliminated. Please fix this and apologize for what was essentially a bait-and-switch move. Even if the frequency of the ads was an unintentional bug, its still unacceptable to try to sneakily show advertisements to my child.
Developer Response ,
Please accept our apologies. It has come to our attention that a pop-up advert appeared in Hungry Caterpillar Play School over the Christmas period. This should not have happened and occurred as a result of a technical error. We are very sorry for this happening. It was completely unacceptable.
Unfortunately over the Holiday period our team did not spot the error and it remained until January 2nd 2019. We have now removed this message entirely from the app.
As an extra measure to our unconditional commitment to our users we have implemented precautions which will prevent such errors in the future.
Please always share your feedback with us. We strive to keep learning and improving your experience
Bugs and stops, a couple UI suggestions
In the blocks-to-holes game, my daughter will trigger an offscreen event like Siri or the camera and then when I bring this app back up, she can’t move the block; it’s locked it the coordinates where she’d placed it when the event was triggered.
Also, she often wants to just start over when painting the letters rather than painting the whole thing white. I’ve worked around this by going back, then forward, but a quick-erase and confirm option (so kids don’t accidentally erase their painting) would be good so I can just cook while she and her sister race to destroy my iPad.
Thanks, and overall, great work!
Developer Response ,
Hi The Mattness. Thanks for your feedback, it's very much appreciated. As this is a brand new app, we hope you'll excuse some teething problems. We're working hard to perfect Hungry Caterpillar Play School, and greatly appreciate constructive feedback from our customers. We'll certainly take your suggestions on board.
Update: We're having difficulty reproducing the offscreen event trigger. In order to help us resolve this issue, could you tell us the device model and OS you're using, the activity where the issue happened and how it happened (what particular action triggered it)? If you could email email@example.com, or answer here, we'd be most grateful. Thanks.
- StoryToys Entertainment Limited
- 234.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.3.5 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © StoryToys Entertainment Ltd, 2019
- In-App Purchases
- Annual - Best Value $49.99
- Monthly Membership $5.99
- Limited Offer $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.