By Robert Chin
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Accessing Wikipedia has never been faster and easier than with Wikipanion, designed for easy, search, navigation and display of Wikipedia entries. Streamline your browsing with history grouped by visit date, and bookmarking that not only bookmarks individual entries, but individual sections within an entry. Featuring intelligent features such as:
- Table of contents browser that knows where you are in the page
- Multiple search methods including Smart completion with entry preview, Google searching and a full text Wikipedia search
- Dual language searching and language switching (hiding languages you don't care about)
- Bookmark, including bookmarking individual sections of pages
- History, grouped by last visit date
- Full in-page searching
- Wiktionary dictionary term looking without leaving the current page
- Table based category browsing
- iCloud syncing
- Image saving to the Photo library
- Ogg vorbis audio playback for dictionary pronunciations and other audio content available on Wikipedia
- Contextual knowledge for sending links to specific sections in a Wikipedia entry
- Easily turn on automatic focusing of the search field on launch
Tip: To scroll to the top of a Wikipedia entry, hit the title bar at the top of the iPhone's screen (this works in Safari too).
Second tip: Click into the search bar to cancel a page load request.
See the Wikipanion web site for more details about all of the available features.
Wikipanion is advertisement free.
What's New in Version 22.214.171.124.1
- Bug fixes
- MIDI File Playback
Great looking and smart Wikipedia frontend
This is the Wikipedia app I've been looking for. It's tasteful and gets out of your way so you can search Wikipedia without distractions. It's one of the few apps I've found that add to the Wikipedia experience over the browser. Offline saving is a huge plus. Articles look like they were meant to. Also, I personally love the new icon.
One _super_minor_ request to the developer: could you please add the ability to either copy a link to the clipboard or send via text. Send via email exists, but it's not the most convenient way of sharing articles. Thanks for the incredible app!
Excellent - Best App Ever
The way Wikipedia is edited in this app is excellent. They've done a great job at taking full web pages and neatly organizing them quickly on a phone.
Having Wikipedia on my phone allows me to lookup virtually anything, and learn about it in seconds. I have this as the second app on my phone, right after google. I use it just as frequently as google.
Really quick and snappy. I enjoy using it. However, I cannot find the option to play an article's audio, despite it having an audio version of the article. If this option can be made more clear, I'll gladly give 5 stars.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Mar 08, 2014
- Version: 126.96.36.199.1
- Size: 4.8 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian
- Seller: Robert Chin
- © 2009-2013 Robert Chin
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.