By Robert Chin
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Accessing Wikipedia has never been faster and easier than with Wikipanion, designed for easy, search, navigation and display of Wikipedia entries. Streamline your browsing with history grouped by visit date, and bookmarking that not only bookmarks individual entries, but individual sections within an entry. Featuring intelligent features such as:
- Table of contents browser that knows where you are in the page
- Multiple search methods including Smart completion with entry preview, Google searching and a full text Wikipedia search
- Dual language searching and language switching (hiding languages you don't care about)
- Bookmark, including bookmarking individual sections of pages
- History, grouped by last visit date
- Full in-page searching
- Wiktionary dictionary term looking without leaving the current page
- Table based category browsing
- iCloud syncing
- Image saving to the Photo library
- Ogg vorbis audio playback for dictionary pronunciations and other audio content available on Wikipedia
- Contextual knowledge for sending links to specific sections in a Wikipedia entry
- Easily turn on automatic focusing of the search field on launch
Tip: To scroll to the top of a Wikipedia entry, hit the title bar at the top of the iPhone's screen (this works in Safari too).
Second tip: Click into the search bar to cancel a page load request.
See the Wikipanion web site for more details about all of the available features.
Wikipanion is advertisement free.
What's New in Version 1.9.6
- iOS 10.3 compatibility
- Fixed an issue trying to save images
- Better SSL certificate support
- Bug fixes
Wikipanion is one of the original Wikipedia apps that has withstood the test of time without being abandoned by its developer. To the contrary, it's improved with age and contains more functionality than the official app. An added bonus is it's ability to act as a front-end for other wikis as well.
Nearly 10 years of superb functionality
Been using this app since I had my first iPod touch back around 2008 or 2009, and it has been consistently clean, intuitive, and perfectly functional. I've never had a single complaint. This app has stood the test of time and is a mainstay on my device.
Programming is 5 years behind
Still no simple sliding animation when swiping forward and backward through pages. Apple introduced this feature in iOS 4 I think it was? It's too hard to navigate by swiping without this simple feature. And why does my review keep getting deleted? Stop censoring me. Garbage app.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Mar 09, 2017
- Version: 1.9.6
- Size: 7.4 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian
- Seller: Robert Chin
- © 2009-2016 Robert Chin
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.