By Robert Chin
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Accessing Wikipedia has never been faster and easier than with Wikipanion, designed for easy, search, navigation and display of Wikipedia entries. Streamline your browsing with history grouped by visit date, and bookmarking that not only bookmarks individual entries, but individual sections within an entry. Featuring intelligent features such as:
- Table of contents browser that knows where you are in the page
- Multiple search methods including Smart completion with entry preview, Google searching and a full text Wikipedia search
- Dual language searching and language switching (hiding languages you don't care about)
- Bookmark, including bookmarking individual sections of pages
- History, grouped by last visit date
- Full in-page searching
- Wiktionary dictionary term looking without leaving the current page
- Table based category browsing
- iCloud syncing
- Image saving to the Photo library
- Ogg vorbis audio playback for dictionary pronunciations and other audio content available on Wikipedia
- Contextual knowledge for sending links to specific sections in a Wikipedia entry
- Easily turn on automatic focusing of the search field on launch
Tip: To scroll to the top of a Wikipedia entry, hit the title bar at the top of the iPhone's screen (this works in Safari too).
Second tip: Click into the search bar to cancel a page load request.
See the Wikipanion web site for more details about all of the available features.
Wikipanion is advertisement free.
What's New in Version 1.9.7
- iPhone X support
- Playback of ogg files with oga extension
- Corrected issue saving images
Convenient and functional app. I use it to access all my frequented wikis.
One note: on the iPhone X, you can't click links in footnotes when you bring up a footnote. It's too close to the bottom of the screen.
Best wiki app
I’ve been using this app since around 2010, when there was no other wiki app. This is definitely the best one. Intuitive and simple to use.
Benefit of the doubt
Okay, so I deleted bulbapedia, as it was an issue with the website itself. I don’t know if this new update fixed anything, but there’s now a bug with the app. If you’re in landscape and you go to Wikipanion, the search bar disappears.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 27, 2017
- Version: 1.9.7
- Size: 7.3 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian
- Seller: Robert Chin
- © 2009-2016 Robert Chin
Compatibility: Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch.