By Robert Chin
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Accessing Wikipedia has never been faster and easier than with Wikipanion, designed for easy, search, navigation and display of Wikipedia entries. Streamline your browsing with history grouped by visit date, and bookmarking that not only bookmarks individual entries, but individual sections within an entry. Featuring intelligent features such as:
- Table of contents browser that knows where you are in the page
- Multiple search methods including Smart completion with entry preview, Google searching and a full text Wikipedia search
- Dual language searching and language switching (hiding languages you don't care about)
- Bookmark, including bookmarking individual sections of pages
- History, grouped by last visit date
- Full in-page searching
- Wiktionary dictionary term looking without leaving the current page
- Table based category browsing
- iCloud syncing
- Image saving to the Photo library
- Ogg vorbis audio playback for dictionary pronunciations and other audio content available on Wikipedia
- Contextual knowledge for sending links to specific sections in a Wikipedia entry
- Easily turn on automatic focusing of the search field on launch
Tip: To scroll to the top of a Wikipedia entry, hit the title bar at the top of the iPhone's screen (this works in Safari too).
Second tip: Click into the search bar to cancel a page load request.
See the Wikipanion web site for more details about all of the available features.
Wikipanion is advertisement free.
What's New in Version 1.8.90
- Improved universal access
- Citation display fixes
- Bug fixes
Several years since it was introduced, and we still don't have a simple swipe effect when swiping forward and back through pages. The delay in loading makes me think I missed the swipe so I swipe again. It can't be that hard to add. Every single other app has it.
Best Wikipedia app I have found. I did use wikiamo but it quit working after trying several others this is the one I'm going to keep
FWIW, Wikipedia app is a Wikipanion wannabe.
Wikipanion provides fast, straightforward access. Nothing in the way, no stems no seeds that you don't need.
I can't imagine what the paid version would do for *me* so I'm sticking with the freebie. But each time I for the heckuvit look at the Wikipedia app again, I remain convinced Wikipanion is the one.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 07, 2015
- Version: 1.8.90
- Size: 5.5 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian
- Seller: Robert Chin
- © 2009-2013 Robert Chin
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.