By Robert Chin
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Accessing Wikipedia has never been faster and easier than with Wikipanion, designed for easy, search, navigation and display of Wikipedia entries. Streamline your browsing with history grouped by visit date, and bookmarking that not only bookmarks individual entries, but individual sections within an entry. Featuring intelligent features such as:
- Table of contents browser that knows where you are in the page
- Multiple search methods including Smart completion with entry preview, Google searching and a full text Wikipedia search
- Dual language searching and language switching (hiding languages you don't care about)
- Bookmark, including bookmarking individual sections of pages
- History, grouped by last visit date
- Full in-page searching
- Wiktionary dictionary term looking without leaving the current page
- Table based category browsing
- iCloud syncing
- Image saving to the Photo library
- Ogg vorbis audio playback for dictionary pronunciations and other audio content available on Wikipedia
- Contextual knowledge for sending links to specific sections in a Wikipedia entry
- Easily turn on automatic focusing of the search field on launch
Tip: To scroll to the top of a Wikipedia entry, hit the title bar at the top of the iPhone's screen (this works in Safari too).
Second tip: Click into the search bar to cancel a page load request.
See the Wikipanion web site for more details about all of the available features.
Wikipanion is advertisement free.
What's New in Version 1.9.4
- Crash bug fix
- iOS 9 support
Overall, this app is awesome. much better layout and navigation versus the Wikipedia app. I have used this app since it first came out for iPhone 3G.
i am on 64bit iOS 9.3.2.
I would like to see "Open in Wikipanion" option for Safari links for Wikipedia. Also, with the latest version, the autoscroll is broke for 'jump to section' links in the table of contents menu. It acts like it's going to scroll but doesn't move, and then if you try to scroll, it autoscrolls back to the top of the page. hopefully they'll have a bug fix for this soon.
Better then Wikipedia
I have used Wikipedia in the past and it's no where near as great as wikipanion. This app shows more info and better ability to save what you read.
I love this because of its simple, uncluttered, and readable design. But it does have some issues, the biggest in my opinion that back/forward navigation will lose position in an article and return to the very top quite frequently. I now use the official Wikipedia app due to this.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 16, 2016
- Version: 1.9.4
- Size: 7.4 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian
- Seller: Robert Chin
- © 2009-2016 Robert Chin
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.