USA TODAY® Crosswords
By Andrews McMeel Universal, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Two for one value: The crossword puzzle from America's #1 newspaper PLUS fast play Quick Cross. Play on the run, in the air, or just killing time. The intuitive and easy-to-use interface makes solving your favorite puzzles easier than ever before!
Daily Crossword is the same 15x15 puzzle featured in USA TODAY®, America's #1 newspaper. New puzzles automatically download daily or search archives and download from hundreds of puzzles.
Quick Cross is a fast action 8-clue crossword puzzle in a 4x4 grid that plays ACROSS and DOWN at the same time. Every answer is a four-letter word, acronym, name, prefix or abbreviation.
Puzzles get more challenging as the week progresses. Track your scores, beat your best times, and engage your word power.
* Solve the same puzzles that appear in USA TODAY®
* Intuitive and easy-to-use interface
* Tilt Daily Crossword screen sideways to display clues in the right or left margin
* Track your progress with organized list views that organize puzzles by date or when you last played them
* Track your Quick Cross scores and keep track of the number of moves it takes to complete the puzzle
* Solve Quick Cross puzzles in less than 90 seconds, ideal for quick bursts of fun
* Sort, read and solve puzzle clues while keeping your eyes on the grid
* Access to networked calendar archives with hundreds of puzzles save and play puzzles offline
* Beautiful, uncluttered layout with letter and full word hints as well as word and puzzle solver features
What's New in Version 1.6
Fixes a problem where the keyboard doesn't work correctly when playing the puzzle in landscape mode.
Hasn't had an update in four years
Great app when I purchased it six years ago (if I remember correctly). User friendly navigation, and two new puzzles every day. That's why I paid for this app ($10, I think) over choosing from the countless free options. I didn't even mind that the graphics and screen size wasn't optimized when the larger iPhone 5 was released, because it still worked.
However, with no updates with the recent iOS upgrades, the app is now extremely "buggy". Freezes at the end of a puzzle, and freezes when you try to use a help function.
USA Today, I'm disappointed. Please keep this app current!! Fix this and I'll happily edit/improve my rating/review.
This game has great features; however, it freezes constantly. If I hit the backspace button to delete a misspelled word it freezes, if I ask for a hint it freezes, if I try to solve it freezes... It's too bad this app doesn't seem to have more consistent support that reads the problems users are facing so they can solve them. I feel bad for people who paid for this app if it is causing them the same problems with no support to fix things. In short, this app is buggy and crashes (like everyone else says...so yes it will be buggy for you too).
USA today no longer supports. However, I have discovered tricks to allow use without the App hanging up.
1) only use the menu when you check for errors.
2) when you check puzzle for errors make sure there is one, change an S to a Z for example. It only freezes when all letters are correct.
3) #2 applies to finished puzzle, so insert an error early and when you finish use menu to check.
4) if it freezes close and reopen, it will come back to where you left off.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Sep 13, 2010
- Version: 1.6
- Size: 1.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: ANDREWS MCMEEL UNIVERSAL, INC.
- © 2008 UCLICK LLC & USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.