pCAM Film+Digital Calculator
By Thin Man Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• Originally developed in 1998 for the Palm device, this award-winning app has become a time-tested industry standard. The developer’s a working Camera Assistant who understands that calculations must be done quickly, simply, and on the run.
• 62nd Primetime Emmy Awards, 2010. Won an Engineering Plaque for Outstanding Achievement in Engineering Development from the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
• 2013 Technical Achievement Award from Society of Camera Operators. “For outstanding contributions to cinematography through the design and development of the pCAM Film+Digital Calculator.”
• A Cinematography and Still Photography calculator for Photographers, Directors of Photography, Camera Operators, Camera Assistants, VFX Supervisors, Script Supervisors, Gaffers, Grips, Motion Picture Editors, Production Designers, Art Directors, Film and Photography Students.
• Calculates: Depth of Field - Hyperfocal – Image Circle - Splits/Aperture Finder - Field of View (Picture Sizes) - Field of View Preview (with images to size shots) - Angle of View – Relative Sizes (compares sensors) - Focal Length (lens) Matching – Triangulate - Exposure - Running Time to Length - Shooting to Screen Time - HMI Flicker-free - Color Correction (choosing color correction filters) - Diopter - Macro - Time Lapse - Underwater Distance - Scene Illumination (beam intensity) - Light Coverage (width/distance) - Mired Shift (with suggested color correction gels) - Conversion calculator - Siemens Star (Focus chart) - Insert Slate - Reference (Technical charts, lists and tables: Cine Film stocks, Cine Lens Manufacturers, Miniature Shooting, Safe Panning Speeds, Zone System).
• Differs from other Photography apps because it has a hi-res graphical interface that is both easy to use and helps the user understand how each calculation is applied. It was designed specifically for professional photographers and filmmakers and has the correct Still, HD Video and Motion Picture Camera manufacturer’s specs for Image Size and Circle of Confusion.
- Works on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
- Graphical interface with retina screen High Resolution.
- Calculates instantly and automatically as each entry is changed.
- Saves entries until you change or reset.
- Quick Gestural finger changes to Depth of Field’s Distance and Aperture inputs.
- Customizable, user-defined Camera Formats, CoC and Filters.
- Easy Picker wheels for Aperture, Camera Formats and Light Sources.
- Quick Buttons for Camera Formats; Jumps to “Film,” “Video,” “Stills,” or “Custom.”
- Global settings for Feet & Inches or Metric - EI or ASA - Foot-candles or Lux, Exposure defaults, Depth of Field nudging increments.
- Built-in User Guide on each screen.
- Motion Picture formats: 8mm - 16mm - 35mm - VistaVision - 65mm - 70mm - IMAX.
- HD Video formats: 1/4”, 1/3”, 1/2”, 2/3” HD CCD - 35mm Still Lens Adapters - Digital HD SLR’s, Super 35mm-sized HD - 65mm-sized HD.
- Still Camera formats: 35mm Standard - 4/3 - APS - Panoramic - DSLR - Digital backs - 6x6 cm - 6x7 cm - 4x5 - 5x7 - 8x10.
• A PDF version of the complete User Guide is available on the pCAM Film+Digital Calculator website.
What's New in Version 4.6.1
• Added Video Camera Format: Radiant Image’s Novo GoPro 1/25” sensor (Extracted 1.78, 1.85, 2.40) – Radiant Image’s Novo 2K 2/3” sensor 1.78 (Extracted 1.85, 2.40) – Red Dragon 3K to 6K (FF – 2:1 – WS – HD)
• Added Still Camera Formats: Hasselblad H4D-200MS – Hasselblad H5D-50 – Nikon Df (FX, DX) – Nikon D3300 – Sony Alpha a7 – Sony Alpha a7R – Sony a99 – Sony a500 – Sony Alpha NEX-5/6/7.
• Renamed some camera formats to better fit on screen.