By Monterey Bay Aquarium
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Seafood Watch recommendations help you choose ocean-friendly seafood at your favorite restaurants and stores. Our app brings you the most current recommendations for seafood and sushi along with complete information about how each item should be fished or farmed. Our new Project FishMap feature lets you contribute to the app, adding the names of restaurants and stores in the U.S. where you’ve found sustainable seafood and locating what other users have found at businesses near you.
• Provides free, up-to-date recommendations at your fingertips with detailed seafood information
• Uses your phone’s GPS to load the right regional guide for your location
• Enables you to search for seafood quickly and easily by common market name
• Allows you to sort seafood by "Best Choice," "Good Alternative" or "Avoid" rankings
• Sushi guide lists fish by Japanese name as well as common market name
• Provides alternatives to seafood on the “Avoid” list
• New Project FishMap feature lets you contribute to the app by adding the names of restaurants and stores where you've found ocean-friendly seafood and locate businesses where others have found sustainable seafood
• Highlights our list of “Super Green” seafood that’s good for you and the oceans
What's New in Version 3.0.15
• iPhone 5 compatibility
• Optimized for Retina display
• General maintenance updates
Lacking a critical angle
The app seems pretty easy to use, but exceptionally lacking in one critical aspect: it completely ignores the health of people who eat seafood. It is equally important to consider increasing levels of contamination from nuclear disasters and oil spills, as well as mass farming practices that compromise the health of people who eat fish and other seafood. Yes, we want to protect the natural environment, but we need balanced information that takes human health into consideration, too, in order to make informed choices about what we put into our bodies. In other words, help me understand which fish and seafood contain toxins or depleted nutrition and which fish and seafood I can consume with confidence that I'm doing something beneficial for my body.
While the app could conceivably have more personal-health info (as others have noted), it is not devoid of it, either. Still, to have such a helpful and humane rating system so available for shopping or dining is simply great – that it is well-designed and well-written is a bonus. Useful, usable app.
LOVE the app, but...
Absolutely love this app. However, I agree with another reviewer... those of us going above and beyond to protect biodiversity and the environment, also deserve the ability to protect ourselves. Updates and info on heavy metals, radiation and other contaminants would be wonderful! Keep up the great work on this app and add a support/donate link to it as well.
- Category: Lifestyle
- Updated: Aug 21, 2013
- Version: 3.0.15
- Size: 7.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Monterey Bay Aquarium
- © Monterey Bay Aquarium
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.