Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Skype you know and love has an all-new design, supercharged with a ton of new features and new ways to stay connected with the people you care about most.
What can I do with Skype?
• Messaging made awesome: More than just text. Send photos, videos, voice messages, emoticons, Mojis and more. You can also respond to any message from your contacts with reactions.
• Great for groups: Add your favorite people and start chatting. Use groups to plan together, play together, for staying in touch or just for hanging out.
• Call everyone - Skype, mobiles and landlines: Free* video and voice calls make it easier to stay connected with friends and family. You’ll also enjoy low calling rates to mobiles and landlines worldwide with Skype.
• Never miss a moment with quick capture: Quickly swipe to capture photos and videos. Make them your own by adding emoticons, stickers and annotations.
• Share Highlights: Keep others updated with Highlights from your day. React to any highlights with awesome emoticons or send a private message about that highlight. Your highlights only stay visible for 7 days to your followers.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
Upgrading to the new Skype may result in the deletion of content from older conversations.
To save photos and videos that were previously sent or received in an older version of Skype, save that content to your camera roll/photo gallery before upgrading to the new Skype.
What's New in Version 8.8
We're listening to your feedback and working hard to improve Skype. Here's what's new:
- General performance and reliability improvements.
I’m a longtime skype user since 2010. Please don’t ever stop working on this.
A lot of people switched to other programs. And I can see why. But those programs don’t cut it for me. They’re not the same as skype, such as the 1 on 1 personal conversation feel. And unlimited file sending.
The things I’d improve skype are: voice quality. This is really important. We are moving into a new age of technology and to have better voice and video quality is key. Next, is on the computer (I use windows 10) and for the phone. Have it take up less resources and CPU hogging. And on my phone, have it take less battery without losing any features.
Have message sending be faster. Some of my friends experience delayed messages and they didn’t notice. I want message sending to be instant, because sometimes it could lag up.
Skype has a big team and is backed up by Microsoft. C’mon I know you guys can make skype better!!
Edit 9/10: Doing good job skype team. I see you guys are polishing up the desktop skype so it’ll take longer to release, but I bet it’ll be worth it. I love how skype is much much faster now. One complaint though is the highlights. Following glitches out and I prefer it if I can just see my friends and family’s highlights without needing to follow them and them following me. It’s much less hassle and it’s because I have them added as a friend in he first place.
Update: The app is still awful. I still have a strong dislike for the new interface. It doesn’t show how long it has been since the person was last online, there are no notifications when a new message is received when the phone is locked, you cannot see video that someone recorded for you in the chat screen...you have to go through the media settings instead of just seeing the message in the chat screen. With each update, this app gets worse and worse and I am incredibly disappointed. Please fix this for your loyal users.
This is a complete and utter eyesore. You can't see readily who is online, if messages have been sent or seen, it is generally an awful update. Why mess with such a workable interface and implement this? My young daughter and I use(d) Skype frequently to text and message now she can't figure out how to know when I am online and can text her back. Please fix this to where it is easy to use again.
WIth Every New Release Skype Gets Worse!
If it were possible, I would give Skype a zero!
Since Microsoft took it over, Skype has done nothing but go downhill. If Wire were to add a feature like Skype Number, I'd delete Skype forever.
Besides the excessively annoying new interface that deleted nearly all the functionality I use daily -- such as bulk delete of calls, or swipe to delete a call or chat. (You now have to make a minimum of 5 presses to delete a single item in your history!) They have also wiped feature after feature, such as custom voice mail message, email notifications of voice mails, and seemingly dozens of other very useful features.
Plus, they have yet to do ANYTHING about multiple device support -- if you make or delete a call or chat on one device, it never gets propagated to other devices. If I delete something on one device, it should disappear EVERYWHERE. It is also clear that nothing actually ever gets deleted in Skype, either: Just delete all your messages, then delete your app, reboot your iPhone, reinstall your app, log back into Skype, and all your "deleted" contact is now back!
I am SO ready to ditch Skype, I can't stand it. I'm just looking for something equivalent to replace it! And this latest version only makes me want to ditch it even more.
And don't get me started on all the other privacy issues Skype has... Skype and privacy are oxymorons.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Oct 10, 2017
- Version: 8.8
- Size: 96.9 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © 2003 - 2017 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up$4.99