It’s your TV. Take it with you. Download the DIRECTV app, a companion to your DIRECTV service, and enjoy a world of entertainment. Watch Live TV and recorded shows, catch up on the latest movies and shows with On Demand, and schedule recordings on your DVR—no additional equipment needed, at no extra cost. Plus now stream DIRECTV data-free on AT&T.
• Watch thousands of your favorite movies and shows, Live or On Demand
• Data Free TV lets you stream DIRECTV on your devices, anywhere—without using your data
(Requires eligible DIRECTV & AT&T data services. Excl. & restr. apply. Content varies and must be streamed through the DIRECTV App. Use subject to wireless service terms including those related to data speed. Streaming may not work at reduced speeds.)
• Stream or download your home DVR recordings to your devices!
• Enjoy the latest releases from premium channels!
• Switch screens! Watch your favorite show on one device then tap a button to send it to the big screen!
• Record your favorite movies and shows from anywhere!
• Content running long? Add extra time to your recording and don’t miss a second of your favorite content.
• See what’s playing on your TV, control playback, set your DVR, and more with the DIRECTV remote widget*
• Have an Apple Watch? Use it to control your TV!
Before using your iOS Widget or Apple Watch, make sure your receiver is set up properly. Go to your receiver’s MENU, select Settings & Help > Settings > Whole-Home > External Device. Make sure “External Access,” “Current Program” and “Recordings” are set to Allow and “Recently Watched” is set to Share.
• iPhone® 4S or later, iPod touch® 5th generation running iOS 9+
• DIRECTV customers must have a residential home account registered on DIRECTV’s website to access DIRECTV for iPhone
•Core app functionality requires use of your location data and Public IP address
• Watching select Live TV Streaming channels outside the home requires an active Wi-Fi or mobile network connection. For best performance, connect to a strong Wi-Fi signal
• Available content is based on your current programming package and premium service. Not all content is available to stream at this time
• Live TV Streaming in-home only channels and remote control requires a Wi-Fi connection to your home network and a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (models R22, and HR20 or higher) connected to a broadband Internet connection. Remote control also works with HD receivers (models H21, H23 or higher) connected to a broadband Internet connection
• DVR streaming and downloading requires Internet-connected Genie HD DVR model HR44 or higher and compatible mobile device. To download, must be in-home on same Wi-Fi network connected to DVR
• Data Free TV requires DIRECTV & AT&T Mobility postpaid data service or an eligible prepaid monthly plan. App download, advertisements and non-streaming app activity may incur data usage
• Scheduling a recording requires a Wi-Fi, or mobile network connection and a DIRECTV Plus® DVR or HD DVR
• Receivers do not require phone or Internet connection to schedule a recording
In rare instances, scheduled recording(s) may not be recognized. Only available on certain receivers.
For complete details on technical requirements, please visit: https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3426
For more information on the DIRECTV App, please visit: http://directv.com/appfaq
Bug fixes and stability enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
This app is needs an entire makeover. Let’s start with the fact that it takes FOREVER to load. no other tv app on my phone is like that, then sometimes the tv shows I was watching will disappear from under the continue watching section. Like it’s 2018 my shows should NOT be disappearing, then when I go to rewatch the show that disappeared it sometimes won’t let you fast forward to where you left off at, so I have to rewatch the entire show again.🤦🏾♀️ (which I won’t do). also sometimes when you binge watch shows back to back the app will let you skip commercials and guess what instead of just jumping back to the tv screen it’ll basically hop to each commercial but don’t play it & THEN the show will come back on. Y’all do realize when it does that it takes as much time as a commercial does. Also what’s the point of having tv shows up there that I can’t watch ? And I’m not talking about premium channel shows either. The entire saved by the bell show was listed but I couldn’t watch it. hmmm let’s see oh yea and STOP PLAYING THE SAME COMMERCIALS. NO ONE WANTS TO WAYCH THE SAME COMMERCIAL OVER AND OVER AND OVER. You all also need to fix the FOX channel because it doesn’t work on my phone/app with none of my devices. I had to download the actual fox app. This app also freezes too much and I think that’s about it. You all need some serious help if you want me to come to corporate I’ll be more than happy to help make you all become more efficient and effective.
DIRECTV’s Television Interface
Not only is that app for your phone or iPad extremely glitchy, but DIRECTV’s new television interface is horrendous. I have DIRECTV wired directly from my Satellite dish to a Mini Genie, and am appalled at the menu changes. Currently, though “prettier”, One can no longer Mark a position in a playback or live show with the push of one button in order to return to it at a later date; the bottom area of the screen is blacked out for quite a few seconds if one pauses, backs up, or rewinds, etc. This is particularly distressing when watching sports channels, where one might want to continue to see the bottom 1/4th of the screen And view the “crawl” for the score, or continuing updates of other games, etc. The previous interface, largely analog, with a simple menu across the left-hand side, very intuitively allowed one to “Search“, “Record“, “settings” “manage recordings”, etc., without all of the pretty pictures, and repetition which now takes up over 75% of the right-hand side of the interface which use to freeze the show one was actually watching. Whatever happened to testing with real life people and keeping the ergonomics simple??. A thoroughly outrageous and Horrendous interface.
GO BACK TO THE PREVIOUS INTERFACE DIRECTv !!! Or, we all go to another carrier . We expect much better from DIRECTV and from AT&T.
No longer mirrors when tethering to HDMI TV
I used to love this app. We live in Alaska and travel South every winter. I would tether my iPhone using an Apple HDMI Adapter and could stream HDMI on my TV in my RV. Since upgrading to OS 12 I am no longer able to do this. In spite of the fact that we still have service in Alaska that isn’t being used when we are on vacation. My husband’s phone which runs OS 10.3.3 still is able to tether his phone to the TV and stream. We don’t have home internet because it is so expensive here so we depend on our phone account for data. I don’t really understand why Direct TV doesn’t use the same app for those who wish to stream and those who have a subscription. Instead of Direct TV Now, it seems like a no brained. I have to place a hold on my account with Direct TV when we go on vacation now and sign up for Direct TV now in order to tether to our TV when we are on vacation. It seems ridiculous that we have to place our service on hold and add a new service temporarily just to tether our TV to our phone. I hope Direct TV hears all of us who are complaining about this issue and works with Apple on the black TV screen issue or consolidate the two apps into one that streams to TV. Come on AT&T don’t be greedy, we pay for this service to take our TV with us but we really can’t. Who wants to watch TV on a tiny iPhone screen? Certainly not me!!!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.