iCab Mobile (Web Browser)
By Alexander Clauss
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
iCab Mobile is a web browser for the iOS. It provides many unique and useful features you won't find in other iPhone browsers.
The Watch App is a remote control for iCab Mobile, so you can navigate, zoom, scroll, open bookmarks, links, the homepage, switch tabs or sitch on/off the fullscreen mode. it is also possible to let iCab read a web site using speech output.
iCab Mobile can upload any files on web pages, like uploading photos on flickr.com or Facebook.com. Due to limitations of the iOS this does not everywhere, but it works fine on many web sites.
iCab Mobile comes with several default search engines you can choose from. You can easily add new search engines. Search suggestions from google and yahoo can be activated on the iPad. It's also possible to search within a web page.
FILLING OUT FORMS:
iCab Mobile can save web forms and restore the form content later (manually or automatically). The saved forms data can be password protected.
There's a built-in and customizable URL-based filter. The default filters block many advertising banners. You can edit, add or remove filters. It's possible to switch off images to save bandwidth.
iCab Mobile supports Tabs, so you can open multiple web pages at the same time. Links can be opened in Tabs (in the foreground or background) manually or automatically. iCab can save the tabs when quitting so these can be loaded even when being offline, the next time the App is launched.
Bookmarks can be organized in folders. You can import/export the bookmarks from/to your PC/Mac browser. Bookmarks can be also saved as "Offline Bookmarks" which can be even opened without an internet connection.
iCab Mobile provides a fullscreen mode where the whole screen is used to display the web page. No screen space is wasted for toolbars.
iCab Mobile has a built-in Download Manager so you can download almost all files from the internet. The downloads can be easily transfered to a Mac/PC/Linux computer but also to other Apps on the device which can open these files
You can create multiple user accounts, each user has its own private bookmarks, filters, settings, etc.
iCab Mobile supports Dropbox. Export/Import bookmarks; transfer downloads, images, files, web pages to your Dropbox account.
- Configurable multi-touch gestures
- QuickStarter feature
- AirPrint support
- Browser ID (UserAgent) is configurable
- iCab Mobile fully supports international domain names (IDN - domain names with language-specific characters).
- Send (smaller) downloads via email
- Cookie Manager, lists all cookies, cookies can be deleted individually
- Private Browsing (no history and no cookies are stored)
- Privacy settings allows to delete all kinds of private data (history, cookies, databases, saved forms, passwords etc.)
- Option to pass the current web page to another App on the device which can open the page
- URL autocompletion based on bookmarks and/or history
- Simple built-in RSS reader
- Save images, whole web pages, PDF files
- Kiosk Mode - a restricted variation of the fullscreen mode for Kiosk environments.
- Addressbook support lets you access the web pages from the addressbook.
- When launching iCab can either open an empty page, the homepage or restore the Tabs which were open the last time
- Page-Compression is supported to save bandwith.
- There are different color schemes and designs
- Document Sharing lets you pass downloads and files to other Apps in the device
What's New in Version 9.2
- Improved "Fill out Forms" feature which will now also support forms defined by invalid or broken HTML code
- Friends of the AdBlock plus/EasyList filters can now directly use these filter lists within iCab Mobile. You need to download your favorite filter lists from one the available AdBlock plus/EasyList sources, then tap on the filters file in the download manager and select the "Import AdBlock/EasyList Filter" menu item. This is all you need to do. iCab Mobile will then import all filters from the filter list it can use (not all filters in those lists can be used) and creates a new filter set in the filter manager. All the filters will be converted into iCab's own filter format, so you can enable/disable and edit them just like any other filters. Please note: it is not recommended to use these AdBlock/EasyList filters on older iOS devices (like the iPhone 4, iPad 2 or iPad mini 1). These filter lists include an extremely large number of filters, which might cause speed and memory issues on these older devices.
- On the iPhone when using the combined URL/Search field, the icon of the currently selected search engine will be displayed at the left of the field while entering the search term or URL. This way you can directly see which search engine will be used for the search. Tapping on this icon will also directly show the lost of search engines where you can pick another one for the search.
- When filling out forms, the keyboard has another button attached which can be used to put the content of the clipboard into the currently selected form field
- When filling out forms on an iPad under iOS 9 and later, it is now possible to move the buttons that are attached to the keyboard (fill form, save form, QR code scanner and paste clipboard)to the left or right using a swipe gesture. So if the buttons overlap certain elements of the web site, these can be moved to the other side.
- New Module added to call the "CamelCamelCamel" service, which lists the price history of a product on an Amazon product page
- Added a workaround for misconfigured web servrs which explicitly ask the browser to download JSON files, that should definitely not be downloaded
- Bugfix: When using the Twin Browser Mode, the fullscreen buttons have to be used twice for the second browser after the fullscreen mode was enabled in the first
- Added a workaround for the case where network connections time out for no reason.
Indispensable browser app
ICab Mobile offers an amazing array of useful functions, tools and features that make browsing the Internet on a mobile device more like a desktop experience.
The degree of customization is incredible, and the developer is not only quick to reply and implement requests, but a very nice guy.
ICab isn't my main browser, but it gets used a lot - particularly when I am in need of more than a quick read.
Private & flexible
This browser has been around for the Mac for a long time. It is so customizable it takes a while to set up to your liking but it is nice to have the ability to do it. Once done it is done.
Additionally it is private. Blocking cookies really blocks them. Turn off cookies in Safari, browse the web for a few minutes and see how many cookies you have collected.
My browser of choice.
This is the best browser
Plain and simple this is the best one. It's got so many ease of use features, little things and things you don't notice at first. My favorite feature is the capability to draw freehand the first letter of a web site. ICab Mobile is easily trained to recognize my penmanship and opens the page immediately.
One really bad feature: it occasionally disappears. Pffft and it's gone. Nothing's visible. Just gone! And it's done this for a few years now.... I downgraded my review because this disappearing act is too frequent.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Jan 15, 2016
- Version: 9.2
- Size: 9.4 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Catalan, Czech, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Alexander Clauss
- © 2015 Alexander Clauss
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.