NAVIGON North America
By Garmin Wuerzburg GmbH
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
With NAVIGON you can turn your iPhone or iPad into a fully functional mobile navigation system. Thanks to a faithful adaptation of the menu functions, the app fits in seamlessly with the iOS operating concept and can be installed on any iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 or iPad (the navigation function is only available on the iPad WiFi+Cellular).
"All told, Navigon is a solid app that's worth its price, even next to free apps like Google Maps, our Editors' Choice for free iPhone navigation apps, thanks to Navigon's more extensive feature set, innovative optional plug-ins, and more informative display while driving." (PC Mag, Winner of the Editor's Choice Award)
"NAVIGON is currently the best turn-by-turn navigation app for
iPhone for anyone who needs world-wide options and offline support." (iMore)
"If you really want to step up your navigational game…then you should download Navigon." (CNN)
*** Range of functions ***
- Simple, intuitive user interface
- Can be used in portrait and landscape format
- Precise spoken announcements
- Intelligent address entry
- Lane Assistant Pro
- Real Road Sign
- Speed Assistant with adjustable audio-visual warning
- NAVIGON MyRoutes - Day and night modes for map display (automatic switching)
- 2D and 3D map display (bird’s-eye view)
- Route planning function
- Text-to-Speech (voice playback of street names)
- Extended Pedestrian Navigation using the iPhone’s internal compass
- Local Search
- Reality Scanner for POI searches with Augmented Reality
- Coordinate entry
- SOS Emergency Help
The latest HERE maps (formerly Navteq) map material with coverage for:
USA (incl. Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands), Canada
Furthermore it's now also possible to receive regular, quarterly map updates through Fresh Maps XL.
Latest Map Guarantee:
NAVIGON’s new Latest Map Guarantee provides customers the latest HERE maps (formerly Navteq) map available when purchasing NAVIGON 2.0 for iPhone.
NAVIGON FreshMaps XL:
The in app purchase option FreshMaps provides quarterly map updates for at least two years. The service uses trusted, field-verified, and quality-controlled map and points of interest updates from NAVTEQ® to make sure the NAVIGON app provides the most accurate and reliable directions possible. This saves you time and headaches on the road.
NAVIGON MyMaps allows you to carry only the country maps you currently need. Meaning you have more memory space for photos, music and other apps.
Please note the following:
Positioning your iPhone correctly in the vehicle is very important to ensure optimal GPS reception! We recommend that you use the NAVIGON Design Car Kit for the iPhone, which includes both a designer suction pad holder and a car charger, enabling you to charge your iPhone during the journey. Available from specialist retailers or from the NAVIGON shop directly at www.navigon.com!
Should you experience GPS reception problems with your iPhone, please refer to the FAQ on our website:www.navigon.com.
Allowing GPS to run in the background for extended periods can lead to a significant reduction in battery life.
Whether in the car, by bike or on foot, NAVIGON hopes you have fun navigating.
What's New in Version 2.7
- Enhanced Urban Guidance functionality: We expanded the coverage of our public transport navigation to more cities and metropolitan areas. In addition to that you have now the choice of up to three different routing alternatives.
- Various stability improvements and bug fixes.
Navigon was once was a favorite app...
Update! Looks like the "Local Search" feature no longer works. When using it now reports: "Service no longer available: this service is not supported by Google." Grrr!!! Come on Navigon! Your credibility as a company is diminishing rapidly. Please do the right thing and fix both the lingering and newly occurring issues with your app.
...however, the quality has degraded over the past year or so. Some of the issues:
- Directs me to get on freeway and then tells me I have arrived at my destination.
- Graphic shows a left turn and voice command says to turn right, and vice versa.
- Navigation takes me several miles in the wrong direction and then tells me I have arrived at my destination. Launch Google Maps and it tells me my destination is 3.5 miles in the opposite direction, and it's correct.
- What happened to the warning triangle that used to show up on the speed limit sign if going too fast? Please bring it back.
- Please add a simple direction heading indicator.
Hopefully there will be a maintenance release soon to fix, bring back, and add the items listed above. Thanks!
All swell here
I don't understand all the issues everyone is having, this app works fine with me. It has improved with every update in my opinion. I will say that the more features they add, the more room for user error. Yes, I believe most of he issues are people not knowing how to work all the features. I've made it a habit to do a "clean install" each update. I do this with most of my apps. Perhaps an unnecessary step, but I am not someone who feels entitled to have everything work perfectly. Put in some effort. Delete what you have, clean install, restore purchases, then try. Instead of being quick at a negative review.
Voice disappears during multitasking
Update* 3/14 finally had to delete this POS app. Sound just doesn't work and it is so buggy that it is not worth using it for the good features anymore. I'm Sticking with the freebies and continuing to look for a good replacement.
*Old review 1/12
If you start a route and hit the home button isn't it supposed to still give spoken directions? Well mine doesn't. And even worse.. When you go back to the app the voice still doesn't come back. If I go into options and drill down to sound it say "sound not available". I have to hard close app and start my route over again.
Bottom line... If your thinking about buying this app I would wait till the next version. Oh and customer service is non existent so don't bother.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Dec 05, 2013
- Version: 2.7
- Size: 50.2 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Garmin Wuerzburg GmbH
- © 2012 Garmin Würzburg GmbH
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- NAVIGON Traffic Live$19.99
- Panorama View 3D$10.99
- USA Speedcams$4.99
- FreshMaps XL NorthAmerica$19.99
- Urban Guidance$4.99
- ZAGAT Content$7.99