Boater's Pocket Reference
By Double Dog Studios
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Hundreds of pages of boating information on your iPhone,iPod Touch or iPad! The Boater’s Pocket Reference caters to all levels of boating expertise with a wide variety of content including 800 illustrations and photographs and a myriad of charts and graphs. Boater’s Pocket Reference is a popular and useful printed book and the app is even better.
Handy, Fact-Filled Boating Guide
Boater’s Pocket Reference offers handy, how-to-do-it information and reference facts, figures, formulas, graphs, and tables about boating.
Who needs this book?
New boaters: This app provides an extensive introduction to all aspects of boating.
Experienced boaters: A great reference and memory jogger.
Everyone who wants to make their boating safer and more enjoyable.
* Piloting and Navigation—including the use of charts, GPS, radar, and sonar.
* Communications—VHF, SSB, satellite.
* U.S. and Canadian Coast Guard boating regulations
* International, U.S., and Canadian Navigation Rules (Rules of the Road)
* Understanding aids to navigation
* Understanding weather—air movement, fronts, clouds, weather maps.
* Boat types, design, and construction as well as boating terminology
* The essentials of good seamanship—the basics of operating a boat.
* Marlinespike seamanship—lines and knots—including 50 different knots.
* Mechanical—engines and propellers.
* Electrical—circuits, DC and AC wiring, batteries, chargers, inverters, lightning.
* Boat trailering tips, techniques, maintenance, wiring.
* General reference tables—time zones, holidays, weight and volume of liquids, and more.
* Extensive unit conversion tables
* Boating resources—organizations, phone numbers, web sites, including Coast Guard and Power Squadron.
* Glossary of marine terminology.
* Over 100 boating-related calculators.
No boater can afford to be without this valuable and handy guide.
About the Author
Thomas McEwen is an avid boater and former mining engineer. Tom is also a member of the Boulder Valley Sail and Power Squadron in Colorado.
You might also be interested in our other boating apps:
- Navigation Rules
- Boating Calcs
- Coastal Navigation 5
- Ship Captain's Medical Guide
What's New in Version 4.0
* Updated diagrams and tables
* Improved search and navigation
* Cleaner and faster interface
* Support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
I purchased this as a backup "go to" in case I didn't have Chapman's etc available- however I find myself using this primarily now and it's much more expansive and thorough than I had initially thought. Kudos-- excellent app. Well worth it!
A waste of money. The focus of the app is to present tons of choices, but the information displayed is lacking in contend and detail. There are a lot of other marine apps that are free or less expensive and much better. Some of the functions are found in other apps that are free. The apps best feature is the description in Itunes. I will doubt that I will ever use the app.
A Pocket Classroom
Looks basic until you hit the menu button!
Excellent reference work! A must have for the serious cruiser.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Mar 06, 2015
- Version: 4.0
- Size: 83.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Double Dog Studios
- © 2009-2015 Double Dog Studios LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.