Boater's Pocket Reference
By Double Dog Studios
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Hundreds of pages of boating information on your iPhone,iPod Touch or iPad! The Boater’s Pocket Reference caters to all levels of boating expertise with a wide variety of content including 800 illustrations and photographs and a myriad of charts and graphs. Boater’s Pocket Reference is a popular and useful printed book and the app is even better.
Handy, Fact-Filled Boating Guide
Boater’s Pocket Reference offers handy, how-to-do-it information and reference facts, figures, formulas, graphs, and tables about boating.
Who needs this book?
New boaters: This app provides an extensive introduction to all aspects of boating.
Experienced boaters: A great reference and memory jogger.
Everyone who wants to make their boating safer and more enjoyable.
* Piloting and Navigation—including the use of charts, GPS, radar, and sonar.
* Communications—VHF, SSB, satellite.
* U.S. and Canadian Coast Guard boating regulations
* International, U.S., and Canadian Navigation Rules (Rules of the Road)
* Understanding aids to navigation
* Understanding weather—air movement, fronts, clouds, weather maps.
* Boat types, design, and construction as well as boating terminology
* The essentials of good seamanship—the basics of operating a boat.
* Marlinespike seamanship—lines and knots—including 50 different knots.
* Mechanical—engines and propellers.
* Electrical—circuits, DC and AC wiring, batteries, chargers, inverters, lightning.
* Boat trailering tips, techniques, maintenance, wiring.
* General reference tables—time zones, holidays, weight and volume of liquids, and more.
* Extensive unit conversion tables
* Boating resources—organizations, phone numbers, web sites, including Coast Guard and Power Squadron.
* Glossary of marine terminology.
* Over 100 boating-related calculators.
No boater can afford to be without this valuable and handy guide.
About the Author
Thomas McEwen is an avid boater and former mining engineer. Tom is also a member of the Boulder Valley Sail and Power Squadron in Colorado.
You might also be interested in our other boating apps:
- Navigation Rules
- Boating Calcs
- Coastal Navigation 5
- Ship Captain's Medical Guide
What's New in Version 3.2
* Improved navigation
* Bug fixes
* Search term highlighting
New to Boating
I took a boat safety coarse and like most things learned they are lost when not applied. I used this app to give me some refresher. It helps point out the areas you need to practice and learn before they become habit. The layout is well thought out and easy to use.
Job well done and well worth the money!
All at your fingertips
This app puts so much useful boating information on your iPad. It is probably the best boating app out there. Covers all aspects including navigation, weather, rules of the road, and boat systems. As a new boat owner and after talking to several veterans, this is the app to have!
I purchased this as a backup "go to" in case I didn't have Chapman's etc available- however I find myself using this primarily now and it's much more expansive and thorough than I had initially thought. Kudos-- excellent app. Well worth it!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Mar 25, 2013
- Version: 3.2
- Size: 82.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Double Dog Studios
- © 2009-2013 Double Dog Studios LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.