BirdsEye Bird Finding Guide
By Birds In The Hand, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
BirdsEye is a unique and power tool that helps you learn about the birds near you and find the birds you want to see. See more birds with BirdsEye!
BirdsEye is a great for birders of any level, naturalists and educators. The free version of BirdsEye also includes stunning and detailed photographs from many top birders, bird photographers and guides.
"Best invention for birding since binoculars"... Kenn Kaufman, author of the famed Kaufman Field Guides to Birds of North America
"A landmark in birding"… John Fitzpatrick, Director, Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology
The free version of BirdsEye is great for beginning and intermediate birders. It shows you the 100 most common birds near you (or for any spot on earth), which is fantastic for birders who want to learn about the birds you are most likely to see in your yard or the local park.
Paid subscriptions options are available to give you access to every countable species in your region or worldwide.
INSTANT BIRD LISTS
• See customized lists of birds reported recently near you, at birding hotspots, or any random point on earth!
• Sea seasonal abundance for each bird for that location
• View recent eBird sightings and get driving directions to each one
INCREASE YOUR LIFE LIST
• See a list of “needs” - species recently reported nearby that aren't on your selected life or year list
• Reports of rare and notable birds in your area and across the ABA region
• Automatically sync your life or year lists with eBird for the ABA area, world, country, state or even county!
• Find additional content in the Bird Guide Store for other continents, including sounds, images and bird-finding tips from local experts.
• Set Favorite Locations for your destinations to scope out recent sightings
• Get driving directions right to any hotspot or sighting
• Support for bird names in several languages
We have partnered with Birdsounds.nl, the premier online store selling bird sounds packages for many regions around the world. Access these extensive collections of bird songs from right inside of BirdsEye.
Currently available sound packages include:
Bird Sounds of Costa Rica, Brazil, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Mexico, Northern Siberia, Sri Lanka, Australia, Peru, Colombia, Belgium and Holland with more coming soon!
Most BirdsEye functionality is available to all of our users. Certain premium features require a regional or world membership to unlock their full potential. These membership features include:
• More checklists for species on the Rare Bird Alert (vs 3 for free users)
• List of recently reported ABA rarities
• Search for Notables up to 250 miles from current location (vs up to 50 miles for free users)
• Unlimited Favorite Locations (vs 5 for free users)
• Select Months view (only Recents for free users)
• Downloading content for offline usage
A NOTE ON MEMBERSHIPS: In addition to regional versions, we offer a full membership that gives you access to all of the birds on earth and several other features. Your membership helps pay for our ongoing efforts to create the most innovative and powerful birding apps in the world. We do not and have never earned a profit on the sale of this app, but do it to support the birding community. Memberships, donations and the contributions of photos help us keep making BirdsEye better.
To get your membership, just launch BirdsEye and go to the Store. You'll see a membership option. The first monthly payment will be charged to your iTunes Account when you confirm your purchase.
Your BIRDSEYE memberships and subscriptions renew each month and your iTunes account will be charged automatically. You can turn off auto-renew at any point from your iTunes account settings. See birdseyebirding.com/privacy for more information.
We are committed to supporting the birding community and bird conservation through the eBird project. Our goal is to encourage participation through BirdsEye.
What's New in Version 2.2
MAJOR UPGRADE. Please read!
We are excited to introduce a brand new model for BirdsEye. Going forward BirdsEye will offer basic functionality for free so everyone can see the most common species around them. Advanced features will be offered through in-app purchases.
We appreciate those of you who have been supported us over the years. Existing BirdsEye users will not have to pay more to continue getting the great features you are used to. Plus this upgrade will be bringing you some new features like searching by month and more favorite locations. If you have questions or are unsure about whether you're getting full access, please contact customer support for help. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Here's a more detailed summary of changes:
You asked for an easier way to explore just the birds you are interested, and now you can! Browse all Species is now 'Region Lists', and lets you filter the lists to show just those species that are included in any specific product in our store. Browse just the list of species in your Bird Sounds of Venezuela collection, or limit it to exploring birds found in North America.
Another one of the most requested features, searching for birding locations by name. On the Browse by Location screen there is now a search icon in the upper right. Tap that and you can search for cities, parks, rivers and more. You can even narrow the search down to just your state or country for more accurate results.
SET A MONTH FOR FAVORITE LOCATIONS
You can now select a month for each of your favorites. Use this to create a favorite for your spring trip to Magee Marsh, or your summer vacation to Paris, and you will know exactly what to expect before you even get there.
Great effort, but...
I have had this app from its initial release several years ago. While there is a general trend towards a better app, good features (and vital ones) come and go in spurts. The introduction of searching by month is great, allowing one to look for expected birds, and not just actually observed ones.
However there are many features this app could benefit from, including some that previous versions have had:
1. BirdseyeHD. Where did this go?? This data-heavy app screams for the big screen that iPad support would bring. A universal iPhone/iPad app would be best.
2. Bird lists/maps: More particularly, lists of sightings are only visible on the rare birds page, and maps of sightings are only visible on the non-rare birds page. How about getting both views on both sections?! This used to be possible in previous versions.
3. Hotspots: In the old BirdseyeHD, hotspots with many ‘needed’ bird species would show up with gold stars in browse view, allowing one to plan a birding trip and identify spots with a high density of desired birds. This was a great feature and I am sad to see it has gone.
4. Clutter: I personally don’t need bird photos or songs in this app, as I have them on my device in other, more dedicated apps. The ability to remove downloaded data like this inside the app is a plus, however.
Subscriptions will only make this app better!
The NEW BirdsEye gives the serious lister everything he or she needs in their pocket. Really, what more do you need? This app keeps getting better. As a subscriber, I have access to all of the features the app has to offer. Non-subscribers have access to
a portion of the species to get a feel for the app. If you pay for a monthly subscription, it will only help make the app better. The app is very complex and probably takes hours (and loads of cash to pay programmers) to build and make better. So, if you really like the fact of having an all-in-one app on your phone, bite the bullet and pay the subscription fee. It's only a few bucks a month and well worth it. BIRD ON.
Indispensable for serious birders in North America
BirdsEye is my go-to app for finding birds when I travel. This most recent upgrade just made it better.
I feel the need to disagree with the reviewer who said that they took away features ... huh?! The features have expanded tremendously over the last year. There have been frequent upgrades each with new features.
There are a bunch of things I would like to see improved, including: The app is designed for iPhone. It works fine on my iPad, although the screen resolution is not optimized for iPad so it looks a little rough in this format. Also it doesn't rotate.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 19, 2014
- Version: 2.2
- Size: 9.1 MB
- Languages: English, Spanish
- Seller: Birds in the Hand, LLC
- © Birds in the Hand, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- BirdsEye World Membership$4.99
- BirdsEye US and Canada$2.99
- BirdsEye US and Canada$29.99
- BirdsEye World Membership$39.99
- BirdsEye Supporting Membership$9.99
- BirdsEye Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean$1.99
- BirdsEye Eastern North America$9.99
- BirdsEye Africa Membeship$1.99
- BirdsEye Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean$19.99
- BirdsEye Western North America$8.99