By Sonoma Wire Works
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Known Issues: StudioTrack does not currently work with iOS 7 and later. As of iOS 7, if a user opens StudioTrack in landscape mode and then selects a recorded song, the songs GUI fails to load all the way and none of the buttons work. Also as of iOS 7, selecting a recorded song will sometimes present with no audio play back - plugging in headphones or input device and then unplugging seems to restore the audio until user changes songs. Fixes for iOS 7 are coming soon. StudioTrack works well with iOS 6.
StudioTrack is a multitrack recorder and songwriting tool for musicians who want to capture musical ideas and record songs on their iPad. StudioTrack works with the iPad built-in microphone and headphones and most iPad audio interfaces (GuitarJack Model 2 recommended). WiFi sync allows StudioTrack recordings to be downloaded to any desktop computer with a browser. Tracks can then be loaded into any recording software (DAW) to continue working on songs.
• Multitrack Recording: 8 tracks plus bounce
• Re-arrangable tracks with FX Bypass, Reverb Send, Pan, Gain, Mute, Solo, Record Arm and Track Icon
• TrackFX: Tempo-synced Delay, Compressor, Parametric EQ and Reverb Send on every track
• Calibrated Meters: Accurately monitor record and playback levels
• Calibrated Faders: Accurately adjust playback level of each track
• MasterFX: Sweeten the sound of your recordings with a compressor-limiter and a 4-band parametric EQ
• Output Compressor-Limiter: Fatten sound of the output mix
• Master Channel with Reverb Return and Stereo Output meters
• Metronome: Select tempo by number or tapping - includes pro drum recordings
• Bounce: Mix song to track 1 and 2 of a new song to record as many tracks as you want
• Mix: Save the mix as a stereo file
• AudioPaste: Paste audio to StudioTrack from over 90 AudioCopy compatible apps
• AudioCopy: Copy a track or a mix in StudioTrack. Name a copy to identify it in the AudioCopy history list of up to 12 items (includes audio previews). Paste to another track in StudioTrack, to another song in StudioTrack, to any AudioPaste enabled app, and to apps that support Apple's general pasteboard.
• Slide-to-Record: Prevents over-writing tracks
Latency Compensation: Accurate to within 1ms
• Recording Quality: 16 bit, 44.1 kHz
• Supports both portrait and landscape iPad views
• Input Monitoring: Enable/disable input monitoring using the settings tool. Input monitoring is enabled when a track is armed and in either Pause or Record mode. Playback of existing tracks overrides input monitoring. When input monitoring is on, sliders on armed tracks are enabled and control the monitor mix.
• Bass Response Correction: When set to AUTO, this will boost the bass response of the recorded signal when using the built-in mic and headset jack, but will not affect devices connected via the dock connector.
• Monitoring through FX: MTrack your vocals and instruments with reverb, delay, eq, and compression non-destructively
• WiFi sync mixes or individual tracks to a computer, and import into any software that imports WAV files
• File Import/Export: Import by opening an audio email attachment or by dragging audio files into StudioTrack's File Sharing area under Apps in iTunes. Supports wav, mp3 and aiff. StudioTrack's Sessions folder can be dragged out of iTunes to the desktop. Requires iOS 4.0 and iTunes 9.2 or above.
What's New in Version 1.5
• GuitarTone Amps & Effects: Interpretations of essential vintage and custom amps and pedals. GuitarTone includes three free amps ('60 Slant, Custom and Tweed Blues) and three free effects (UltraPhase, Drive+ and Va-Room), with additional tones available for $9.99 per 12-pack. Amp and effect packs purchased in the GuitarTone app will be activated soon in FourTrack and StudioTrack. GuitarJack Model 2 activates $19.98 worth of GuitarTone amps and effects while connected.
• Free High Visibility Tuner: Fast, accurate tuning
• GuitarJack Model 2 Control Panel - Adjust input settings of Sonoma's GuitarJack high quality audio I/O interface for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Select 1/4-inch line in, stereo 1/8-inch line in, or use both inputs simultaneously to record onto two tracks at once. GuitarJack's 1/8-inch stereo line/headphone output offers increased drive for headphones. GuitarJack features Lo-Z and Hi-Z modes, 60 dB of continuous level control, a 12 dB pad for 72 dB of adjustment and a 24-bit AD/DA converter.
• TaylorEQ: Sonoma Wire Works teamed with Taylor Guitars to create an input EQ for enhancing the FourTrack and StudioTrack recordings of Taylor Guitars or any acoustic instrument. Select from a range of Taylor body styles in basic mode, or select the Advanced tab to adjust the 6 band parametric equalizer manually.
So far so good
I was at first a bit skeptical that an app could turn the ipad into a recording studio...but having used a few of its features Studio Track seems to deliver exactly what they claim. Make no mistake this not a garage band app where you just push a button and it makes the music for you. It's literally an 8 track recorder so it will capture YOUR performance and allow you to mix your tracks. Hence you'll have to ensure you are recording your sounds in a controlled environment to get the best from your recordings..Ultimately this can be a powerful tool for anyone who has experience in home or professional studio recording.
I did some research on this before in bought and I could of swore I read you could do track editing but you can't. It basically a track recorder. If you want to add to a track you have to bounce from another which makes it frustrating after a while. Bouncing works but after about 30 mins of work and bouncing I noticed a slight pop in one of tracks so I had to start over. Reminds me a lot like the old school multitrack recorders of the early nineties. The compression, eq and delay work well so this could be a nice final mixdown app. It looks nice and controls work smooth but until there is some way to edit tracks this app is pretty much useless to me.
version 1.5 - great update
Much improved app after 1.5 update - now has a real chance to become the overall best guitar app available (especially if you have GuitarJack 2 which is a phenomenal piece of hardware).
Can be further significantly improved by implementing some type of integration with Sonoma InstantDrums apps (currently standalone apps), and also looping which is currently the most glaring missing feature (especially if you compare this app to GarageBand or AmpKit).