OverDrive: eBooks & audiobooks
By OverDrive, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Borrow eBooks, audiobooks, and streaming video from your library using OverDrive on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. More than 30,000 libraries worldwide offer titles from OverDrive, so download the app and find your next book today!
Having problems with font size in some books on iOS 10? See http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/2574801 for help.
• Available 24/7, now the library comes to you.
• No more late fees. Titles are automatically returned.
• Place holds, create wish lists, and return titles easily.
• Sync libraries, bookmarks, and recent positions across mobile devices.
• A valid account with a participating library, school, or other institution is required.
• Each library builds its own collection of titles. Contact them directly to let them know that you’re using OverDrive and to share any suggestions for books you would like to see them carry.
What's New in Version 3.7.1
• Updated streaming video player.
• Fixes a bug that prevented some books from being removed from the bookshelf.
Good, Needs Usability Upgrade
Overall, the app seems to perform well. I have had a few delays with audiobook downloads, but nothing major. All of my (numerous) eBook downloads have worked without issue. However, this app is in desperate need of a usability study. It is not very intuitive, and does not focus on the key areas I think most users look for. Also, the bookshelf/loans/files process is clumsy and confusing. I'd much prefer that all items appear in one place, and that actions could be taken from a main menu by drilling into the checked-out item. Overall though, it's a great app. I have high hopes for its future.
For selection, there are quite a few interesting titles. However, I would like to see a greater selection of less current works. Perhaps it's only me, but I'd love to be able to pull up a comfy old book from the past. Don't t me wrong, I appreciate the effort to keep up with current trends, but I'd like to see some more old favorites added as well.
Back to four stars
We are back to four stars after a temporary decline. Bugs fixed. Still can be a bit confusing. Books I've recommended have never been added though they are typically NYT best sellers. And they simply need more books!
In the past I would have given this app a four but recent changes did not enhance usability or helpfulness. Importantly it has a known bug that no long allows the app to remember your login, meaning one has to insert a very long library card number every time. Is that so hard to fix? Yeh I'm stuckwith but if I wish order books through my library system. I also miss being able to get some old favorites that I still can get from the brick and mortar library. Finally it needs an easy way to rate s book when you add find reading it and before you remove it from your device--like every other reading app I have.
App is only good for listening
I do love the idea of this app for listening, but some areas need improvement by the developers:
1. When users are finished with a book, it should be taken back into the Que for others to use. No just sitting until the borrow period expires. Days even weeks could be lost waiting for a book to expire and come back into the Que.
2. I have chosen books that seem to have chapters out of order, no sure if when it downloads it gets mixed or what happens.
3. The should be a mechanism for adjusting the speed that the book is read. Now it's slow or fast, I have found depending on the readers accent, speak cadence, and tone it is often difficult to tolerate hearing them speak. Being able to adjust more acutely would be greatly appreciated by this listener.
4. This one is for the library not the developer... WE NEED MORE BOOKS to listen to. Please😊
- Category: Books
- Updated: Oct 05, 2017
- Version: 3.7.1
- Size: 31.4 MB
- Languages: English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: OverDrive, Inc.
- © 2016 OverDrive, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.