Audiobooks from Audible
By Audible, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Not enough time for all the books you want to enjoy? Download the app by Audible, an Amazon company, to listen to audiobooks on the go.
Immerse yourself in a great story anytime, anywhere, by downloading from a breathtaking range of 180,000+ titles to your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad—from best sellers to classics, and everything in-between.
Now you can turn on a good book even when you can’t pick one up—on your way to work, at the gym, while folding laundry, or any other time your eyes and hands are busy.
• Transfer books to your device over wi-fi
• Chapter navigation, bookmarking, sleep mode, variable narration speed, button-free mode
• Multitasking for background downloading and listening
• Earn badges and keep track of your listening habits
• NEW! Switch between reading and listening with Whispersync for Voice (compatible Kindle app or device required)
• Connect to Facebook and Twitter to let your friends know what you’re listening to
• Get insider information about author events and more with the Audible Newsfeed
Supports Audible.com, Audible.co.uk, Audible.de, Audible.fr, and Audible.com.au
Listening with Audible is always time well spent. Download the free app now and discover a smarter way to use your smartphone.
Let us help you at www.audible.com/help or get in touch on Twitter @audible_com
What's New in Version 2.5.3
We’ve resolved issues experienced by a small portion of our customers who had upgraded to version 2.5. This version includes:
• Fixes for crashes and other anomalies, such as the “low storage” error that prevented downloads.
• Improvements in VoiceOver mode for the volume and position scrubber.
• Seamless playback for multi-part books.
• Additional performance improvements for the iPod and the “Book info” pages.
If you were among those affected by one of these glitches, we thank you again for your patience.
Can't Make Purchases
I only use this app for iPad occasionally, but I have never experienced any of the problems I saw in other reviews (2stars are for that). My big problem with the app is that you can't make purchases from within it. The same is true of the iPhone app. That makes the app nearly pointless for me.
Generally speaking, I just load purchased audio books to my iPhone through iTunes. Because the apps makes me go through the website to purchase anything, I have no reason to to use the app. Even when I don't load to phone, I avoid the app because I may as well go through the website, so I can make a purchase (which is not uncommon in my case because I frequently want to listen to publications that are mentioned in the audio for the original publication).
The only time I could envision using the app is if I have only my iPad (unlikely as my phone is always with me, though I suppose it could die), I am somewhere without wi-fi available to me and I have by chance loaded an audiobook to my iPad (because I have a wi-fi only iPad, I would not be able to access anything in the cloud).
Latest update has fixed my problems!
6/29 Update: the app is no longer stopping inexplicably! I have no problems with the app performance and I love it again. Now only if I could purchase books from the app...I would give it that last star!
Update on the 6/3 update: Same thing still happening--when I open the app it reverts to Cloud mode (previous versions started in the mode when closed) and automatically refreshes. I switch to Device mode, app continues to refresh, start a book, my phone goes to sleep before the refresh completes and the app crashes. I still love this app but these bugs prevent me from changing my rating. Please fix this and I will re-rate! I have an iPhone 6+, Verizon is my carrier.
Otherwise I love this app...lets me listen to books on the go. The only thing I would change would be to allow concurrent downloading and purchase of books from the app.
While functional, not the best app
In this day and age, especially from a company like amazon's audible, I expect most people expect a better app. As a dyslexic and busy grad student, audiobooks are my favorite way to "read". While there are some amazing features, and a decent amount of customization for an audiobook app, some of the biggest features are flat out missing. Others are honestly not as functional as they should be.
Let's start with the pros-
1. I like that you can make bookmarks, and now you can keep playing the audio while you type the bookmark. You can customize light/dark mode, how much your rewind goes back by, etc. making that part very user-appealing.
2. The badges and hour-following makes it really fun and a kind of challenge to keep reading more.
3. You can search for titles on the app.
Now the cons-
1B. Cannot find bookmarks without being in that book, so I have to play it again to get to bookmakers? That's inefficient at best.
2B. The badges and my listening level never update. I'm frozen as a newbie even though I've listened for actual days. Days. Where's the fun in that?
3B. While you can search for titles, you can't see the deal of the day, you can't purchase books, and download on the go. You have to open audible up on your browser and then purchase and then send to your app. So so silly.
I will keep listening regardless. But cmon Amazon/audible, you can do this. I believe in you.
- Category: Books
- Updated: Jun 29, 2015
- Version: 2.5.3
- Size: 72.1 MB
- Languages: English, French, German
- Seller: Audible, Inc.
- © 2015. Audible, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.