Audiobooks from Audible
By Audible, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Not enough time for all the books you want to enjoy? Download the app by Audible, an Amazon company, to listen to audiobooks on the go.
Immerse yourself in a great story anytime, anywhere, by downloading from a breathtaking range of 180,000+ titles to your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad—from best sellers to classics, and everything in-between.
Now you can turn on a good book even when you can’t pick one up—on your way to work, at the gym, while folding laundry, or any other time your eyes and hands are busy.
• Transfer books to your device over wi-fi
• Chapter navigation, bookmarking, sleep mode, variable narration speed, button-free mode
• Multitasking for background downloading and listening
• Earn badges and keep track of your listening habits
• NEW! Switch between reading and listening with Whispersync for Voice (compatible Kindle app or device required)
• Connect to Facebook and Twitter to let your friends know what you’re listening to
• Get insider information about author events and more with the Audible Newsfeed
Supports Audible.com, Audible.co.uk, Audible.de, Audible.fr, and Audible.com.au
Listening with Audible is always time well spent. Download the free app now and discover a smarter way to use your smartphone.
Let us help you at www.audible.com/help or get in touch on Twitter @audible_com
What's New in Version 2.5.1
• Fixes crash on pause from external controls for iOS7 users
• Includes fix to prevent people from getting into the state where their downloaded books disappear (and other bad things happen). Unfortunately, there's not an upgrade to get you out of that bad state and back to where you were. The only way to totally fix is delete and re-install the app (and you will still lose your "Finished" status). VERY sorry.
TIP: If your downloaded books got removed, but it's working now, you still might be better off deleting and re-installing the entire app. There still may be residual problems.
Updates from 2.5
• CarPlay is now available for Audible!
• Lock Screen/Control Center – Previously, the Lock Screen/Control Center buttons were always chapter forward/back, even if your settings were for 30-second forward/back. Now, your lock screen/Control Center will feature the correct icons.
• Sleep Timer – There is now a “Reset Timer” option after the sleep timer ends, reducing the number of taps from 4 to 2.
• Sleep Timer – The fade-out returns.
• Discover – On iPhone, we’ve updated the visual design by removing the dark overlay and going to a grid.
• Discover – On iPad, we’ve replaced “Discover” with a true browse experience (it used to just be search). It should now mirror the iPhone version.
• When you sample a book from a book detail page in “Discover” or search, it now plays in the player. This allows you to leave the detail page and still listen to the sample.
• New Tab Bar – We moved Settings into the main navigation and created an overflow menu (on iPhone) for the items that no longer fit on the main tab.
How can an app be this bad?
I've been using this app off and on for a few years, and though it was bad (would crash immediately upon loading, would lose all my place in the audiobook) I stuck with it, because it was better than iTunes about keeping my progress.
I didn't think it could somehow get worse. I was getting ready for a 6 hour drive to my parents house, and decided an audiobook would be needed. I downloaded it through the app, double checked it played correctly (I've been burned before) and went on my way. About two hours into the drive I decided to listen to the audiobook, only to find I had been signed out of the app. I was no where near 3G service, let alone a wifi spot to sign in. Apparently when this happens it deletes the book from your phone. Eventually I stopped for gas, and waited 20 minutes for this book to download again. It worked fine for the rest of the drive. The next day I tried continuing my audiobook, and was signed out once again, and my book deleted, again. Which means I'm probably going to lose it again before my return trip home.
Seriously, how can an app be this bad for this long?
You’d think an audio book player would keep your place.
I just did what I often do, select “Update All” on my iPhone without paying much attention. Then, while walking my baby and using that precious 20 minutes to try to do something intelligent (because cleaning banana goo off of tiny fingers is not, but listening to George Washington, A Life, is) I discovered when the Audible application updated it erased my place. You’d think priority ONE of rolling out an application update on an audio book player would be to save the place of those listening to the books. The book I was listening to is 42 hours. I probably listen to 4-5 hours a week, BECAUSE THATS ALL THE TIME I HAVE BECAUSE I HAVE A TINY BABY. So that means I should refrain from updating the application for months. Oh, and there are those other books I had started, and stopped and started and stopped over the past year, which now I will probably never listen to because I couldn’t possibly find where I left off. So, now I am taking another precious 20 minutes to skewer you, oh dreaded Audible application, to the wall for making my life temporarily miserable by failing to do YOUR ONE JOB.
Do not update!
I used to love audible. I still love the idea of audible... I've been a paying subscriber for over a year. I purchase at least one additional book each month. I use this app every single day. Since the update two days ago this app has become completely useless. I have deleted the app and downloaded it again and it does nothing to fix the problems. When the app opens it attempts an "update" this update fails every time, but allows the app to open nonetheless. Once the app opens you can see that all the books have been deleted from my device. In addition placement, bookmarks, notes, etc. all are gone (this was before I was forced to delete and reinstall the app because I didn't know what else to do). I tried downloading the book I had been listening to and that playback fails due to an error. I can not listen to any of these books I have paid for. I can not use this app at all. What's amazing to me is that this has been going on for three days and audible has yet to offer any kind of solution. In the future I will wait several weeks and read reviews before downloading any so called updates.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Books
- Updated: May 21, 2015
- Version: 2.5.1
- Size: 72.0 MB
- Languages: English, French, German
- Seller: Audible, Inc.
- © 2015. Audible, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.