By Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A powerful, complete, and easy to use podcast player that will help you manage and listen to podcasts the way you want to.
Now with CarPlay support!
"Downcast: Probably The Best Podcast Downloader for iPad and iPhone" - Wired Gadget Lab
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts of any size
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically
• Continue podcast downloads in the background*
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-refresh podcast feeds
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected podcasts
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast titles
iCloud Syncing with other iOS devices or Macs**
• Podcast subscriptions
• Episode information
• Video and audio AirPlay support
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x and 3x speed playback
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
• Playback control from external devices
• Bluetooth devices
• Headphone remote controls
• Devices connected via Lightning/dock connector
• View embedded images in podcast episodes
• Gesture support
• Sleep timer
• Google Cast™ Ready
For support, please search our support site at http://support.downcastapp.com or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
For the latest information about Downcast, please follow @downcastapp on Twitter!
* Per iOS restrictions
** iCloud syncing with Macs requires Downcast for Mac, which is a separate purchase from the Mac App Store
What's New in Version 2.9.16
• Fixes issue with table section header indentation on iOS 10
• Fixes font weight issue on episode details view on iOS 10
• Ignoring enclosure URLs when they are youtube links
Still ‘downloads’ zombie episodes that stop playback
A very good app with a problem in last half-dozen versions where sometimes an episode will show up in a playlist as downloaded, but the file will be only 800b long and have no audio. This disrupts the continuous playback of my carefully curated podcast playlists that is the best feature of the app. It is no longer a steady, reliable companion for long drives, washing dishes, or long sessions working in the garden—situations where having to pause and manipulate the phone to restart playback with the next episode in the queue is irritating or outright dangerous. I have given a lot of feedback and still no progress. It should be possible to make sure that such problem downloads, rather than stopping playback and requiring accessing the phone to continue with the next correct podcast in the queue, are simply skipped and the next playable episode continues. This is a design flaw and a safety risk especially while driving—when I count on long periods of uninterrupted hands-free playback.
Still hoping this problem can be fixed, because this app is so much better than the disaster of iTunes and the apple Podcast app.
Buggy, but the power-users only choice
I'm obsessed with podcasts. I'm usually subscribed to 40+, and I must spend at least 20 hours every week listening to them. When you have so many podcasts, you probably want a lot of control over how you listen to them, store them, and organize them. Generally, Downcast is the best in all of these areas, especially the latter two. Unfortunately, the power also comes with a fair share of bugginess and general weirdness: downloads corrupt / mess up more than any other app, I've experienced syncing arrows, and there are semi-frequent crashes. Despite all this, I still use it, because no other podcast app provides the same feature set.
That said: presently, iOS 10 support is pretty much nonexistent. It's so buggy that I have had to switch to Overcast, which is killing me. The GUI seems to be laggy and getting downloads to work is a serious issue.
Love this app for several years (but battery killing me)
I could not give this app anything less than 5 stars for all of the amazing use I got out of it. This app is simple, reliable and has been improved over the years. My only issue has been with the battery drain. Perhaps this is a necessity to get the data to know whether there are new podcasts available to download. But it feels like this just takes my iPhone down considerably.
That said, this is the only complaint and I've used just about all of the major apps including Apple's Podcast app, Instacast, Overcast and others. But I am strongly considering Overcast because of the battery issue. Please address this if you can.
- Category: News
- Updated: Aug 09, 2016
- Version: 2.9.16
- Size: 31.1 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- © 2010-2016 Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Encouraging Tip$2.99
- Motivating Tip$5.99
- Inspiring Tip$11.99
- Galvanizing Tip$8.99