iCarbs is one of 10 iNutrient apps based on the USDA National Nutrient Database. The others include:
- iCholesterol (Dietary Cholesterol)
- iFiber (Fiber)
- iKals (Calories)
- iPotassium (Potassium)
- iProteins (Proteins)
- iSatFat (Saturated Fat)
- iSodium (Sodium)
- iSugars (Sugars)
- Vitamin K (Vitamins K1, K1D & K2)
As of version 3.0 this app allows users to record their intake of the nutrient The information is maintained for one year and is presented in reverse chronological order grouped by day, so the latest data is presented first in the list. Editing allows for: 1) changing the number of servings; 2) changing the date; and 3) deleting records.
If you are either a bodybuilder or have diabetes this is an app you will truly make use of on a regular basis.
The iCarbs app provides information about foods and how they are rated for carbohydrate content. This is provided as a means to assist in deciding which foods to eat. If you are a bodybuilder, you probably want to have a high intake of carbohydrates, but on the other hand if you have diabetes you need to make sure you don't exceed your recommended daily amount of carbohydrates. The food servings are rated from EXTREMELY LOW in Carbohydrates all the way up to EXTREMELY HIGH. The following colors help readily identify which is which:
- Black = Rated EXTREMELY HIGH in Carbohydrates (Carbs) (45.01 - 166.46 g)
- Dark Red = Rated VERY HIGH in Carbs (30.01 - 45.00 g)
- Red = Rated HIGH in Carbs (15.01 - 30.0 g)
- Orange = Rated MODERATELY HIGH in Carbs (12.01 - 15.00 g)
- Yellow = Rated MODERATE in Carbs (9.01 - 12.00 g)
- Yellow-Green = Rated MODERATELY LOW in Carbs (6.01 - 9.00 g)
- Green = Rated LOW in Carbs (3.01 - 6.00 g)
- Cyan = Rated VERY LOW in Carbs (0.01 - 3.00 g)
- White = Rated EXTREMELY LOW in Carbs (0.00 g)
Essentially, the cooler the color, the lower the amount of Carbohydrates, with white being the coolest color and black being the hottest (think burnt).
There are eight tables listing food servings:
- All Foods
- Fast Foods
- Fruits & Vegetables
- Meat, Fish & Shellfish
- Dairy & Egg
- Cereal Grains & Pasta
The All Foods list allows you to search by any word or partial word from all the Food Titles.
Selecting a food in any of the tables will display pertinent information about the selected food serving:
- Food Title
- Weight (in grams)
- Common Measure (serving size for weight)
- Protein Content (in grams)
- Percentage of Protein by Weight (if at least 1%)
- USDA Description
- USDA Food Group
- USDA Nutrient Database Number
Information is derived from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference: Carbohydrate Content of Selected Foods per Common Measure. There are currently over 1,100 different foods included, searchable using more than 2,500 names (some foods are known by different names or how they are prepared, e.g., "Egg, Fried" and "Fried Egg"). A few these have as many as six searchable names.
The iCarbs Info screen provides access to additional information pages:
- What are Carbohydrates?
- Carbohydrates & Diabetes
- Highest Protein Foods
- How to Use this App
- iNutrients Custom Food Definitions (another app with more features and data for 10 nutrients)
- Other Important Info. (includes allowance to 1) Report a Problem; 2) Ask a Questions; and 3) Make a Suggestion)
Fixes annoying problem where bottom half of tabs weren't tappable.
Appearance changes to accommodate newer versions of iOS.
"Other Important Info." selection tells iNutrient users how they might have savings available to them when they upgrade to one of our app bundles.
Ratings and Reviews
Not worth it.
This app is difficult to navigate, and doesn’t look like it’s been updated for two or more years. I paid for it and the first four foods I tried to research were not listed, like Greek yogurt. Refund, anyone?
Fantastic Help for Keeping Track of My Carbs
Not only can I keep track of my carbohydrate intake, but if I forget to record the information one day I can enter it when I remember and then change the date. Also a nice facelift for the Info portion of the app.
Very well done and packed with boat loads of information. A lot of work went into this app and having it all consolidated in one place is great. Great work!
- James Hollender
- 30.7 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2010 - 2016 James Hollender
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.