SomaFM's official app, giving you access to over 30 year-round channels of listener-supported, commercial-free, underground/alternative radio, with all music hand-picked our award-winning DJs and music directors.
Lifehacker.com calls SomaFM one of the "Five Best Internet Radio Services" and says "completely user and listener-supported, which means no ads or commercials during your broadcasts, and the channels and programs aired at SomaFM are rarely heard anywhere else."
- No registration required; no additional purchases required!
- View stations by Popularity, Genre or your favorites
- Shows name and artist of currently playing song and history of songs played.
- Bookmark, Share title and search iTunes for the playing song
- Background streaming: use other apps while listening.
- Stream to AppleTV & Airplay devices; Qualcomm® AllPlay™ compatible speakers; Chromecast
- Integration with many car stereo units via Dock Connector or Bluetooth
- Remote control: Pause and restart playing as well as skip between favorite channels from your headphone remote, lock screen controls.
- High and low bandwidth streaming: 128k MP3 and 64-80kb AAC-HE (high); great-sounding 32kb AAC-HE and good-quality 40kb MP3 (low).
- AAC-HE support for highest quality audio even at the lowest bitrates.
Never listened to SomaFM before? Here's our lineup, which are all commercial free:
Groove Salad: A nicely chilled plate of ambient/downtempo beats and grooves.
Downtempo electronica, mostly instrumental. Great for work.
Secret Agent: The soundtrack for your stylish, mysterious, dangerous life. For Spies and P.I.s too!
An eclectic blend of cinematic downtempo, stylish lounge, sambas and easy-tempo with an adventurous flair.
Drone Zone: Served best chilled, safe with most medications. Atmospheric textures with minimal beats.
Fluid: Drown in the electronic sound of instrumental hiphop, future soul and liquid trap.
Indie Pop Rocks!: New and classic favorite indie pop tracks.
Left Coast 70s: NEW! Mellow album rock from the Seventies. Yacht friendly.
The mid/late 70s sound that blossomed out of Los Angeles and spread up and down the west coast.
cliqhop idm: Blips'n'beeps backed mostly w/beats. Intelligent Dance Music.
Beat Blender: A late night blend of deep-house and downtempo chill.
Dub Step Beyond: Dubstep, Dub and Deep Bass. The place for Bass Music!
The Trip: Progressive house / trance. Tip top tunes.
Illinois Street Lounge: Classic bachelor pad, playful exotica and vintage music of tomorrow.
Space Station Soma: Tune in, turn on, space out. Spaced-out ambient and mid-tempo electronica.
Doomed: Dark industrial/ambient music for tortured souls.
Boot Liquor: Americana Roots music for Cowhands, Cowpokes and Cowtippers
Lush: Sensuous and mellow vocals, mostly female, with an electronic influence.
Digitalis: Digitally affected analog rock to calm the agitated heart.
Suburbs of Goa: Desi-influenced Asian world beats and beyond.
ThistleRadio: Exploring music from Celtic roots and branches
Crafted by Fiona Ritchie, award-winning host and curator of NPR's syndicated Thistle and Shamrock radio show.
Underground 80s: Early 80s UK Synthpop and a bit of New Wave, with rarities you forgot you remembered.
Sonic Universe: Transcending the world of jazz with eclectic, avant-garde takes on tradition.
PopTron: Electropop and indie dance rock with sparkle and pop.
Less guitars, more synths.
Metal Detector: From black to doom, prog to sludge, thrash to post, stoner to crossover, punk to industrial.
Mission Control: Ambient and experimental music mixed with the historical sounds of the space program.
SomaFM SF 10-33: Live San Francisco Fire and Police radio with an electronic music soundtrack.
- Fixing bug with AllPlay support
Ratings and Reviews
One of the best music apps in the iTunes Store
This app is still one of my favorite music apps, and I've never once regretted paying for it. I am bothered by a couple of things, though. Sometimes the music from the app keeps playing after I've left the app, and I'm not sure why. And I really wish it wasn't so hard to like a song and then pull up the menu that shows up when you tap a song without not liking it. Otherwise, a solid music app for several years running, and hopefully for several more.
Why can’t we listen to the best streams?
I love the SomaFM network. Love! I have a monthly donations set up and stations like Poptron, Secret Agent, and Suburbs of Goa power my commute. But why is the bandwidth on the official app so low? I have it set to “Always High” but most of the stations play at 64k AAC. I have the same station playing on a generic radio app and it’s 128 AAC. So the stream is there. Even with cheap earbuds the quality difference is enough to skip the app. It seems a shame. This would be one of my most-used apps if it simply played at a higher bitrate.
Needs better highlighting of the music now playing
When you wish to favorite a song it's confusing. Highlight the song playing with an unmistakable presence. You app & website both share this displeasure in common. Scroll the text make the text white, highlight the whole of the tab & information pertaining to the song playing in my opinion. #loveSomaFmSecretAgent&dubstepBeyond
- SomaFM.com, LLC
- 48.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- English, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2016 SomaFM.com, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.