By Guardian News and Media Limited
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
NEW for Apple Watch:
Dip into a personal feed of stories, features, reviews, and live news and sport specially created for Apple Watch.
Get the whole picture the whole time with the free Guardian app.
Specially crafted for iPhone, iPad, and now Apple Watch, this app brings you breaking news and full access to all of the Guardian's award-winning content. Tailor your home screen with the sections that matter most to you, follow your favourite writers and stories for personal alerts, keep reading when you're offline, save content for as long as you like, and get personal, compelling content at any time on your Apple Watch.
• Stay up to date with live news and sport
• Enjoy the full range of Guardian content, beautifully designed for iPad and iPhone
• Keep reading offline
• Make it yours by choosing the sections and topics that appear on your home screen
• Be informed with breaking news alerts on your iPhone, iPad, and optimised for Apple Watch
• Follow your favourite stories, series, writers and football teams for personal notifications
• Browse award-winning audio, video and interactive content, as well as full-screen galleries, with stunning Retina-quality images
• Save any content you want to keep
• Read comments on articles and share your own thoughts
• Search by keyword, topic, series, section, or contributor
• Upgrade to the premium tier for our daily crosswords, specially curated content, extracts from Guardian Books, and an advert-free experience
Please note: this app is totally free to use. If you choose to upgrade to the premium tier - £2.49 / $2.99 (USD) a month or local equivalent - your payment can be taken immediately and processed by Apple.
• Terms and conditions: http://www.theguardian.com/help/terms-of-service
What's New in Version 3.4
NEW for Apple Watch
Use glances, expanded views, and optimised alerts to dip into a personal feed of stories, reviews, live news and sport, specially created for Apple Watch. Combining your personal homepage and our award-winning journalism the app gives you an engaging and always fresh view of the world.
This release includes:
- Further modifications to search
- Improvements to front pages
- More important bug and crash fixes
Very Good, One Star Short of Great
I have come to rely on The Guardian as my primary source of news. It gets first screen status on both iPhone and iPad.
Two things keep me from a 5 star.
First, is that the phone app lists a limited number of top stories even when you click "View More Stories". I can go to other sections, but would prefer the lineup of "top" stories to be a little longer.
Second, I JUST read the article on Peabody Coal. It was the top story, which I questioned as I read the article and felt the twist was more of an embarrassment for Peabody, then a hard news story. That questioning made since when I read IN THE STORY that The Guardian supports the divestment in coal (which I personally think is good as well.) To me this "taints" the impartiality that I wish for in a news organization. I respect their admission of viewpoint, however, it brings up some questions of credibility (think Consumer Reports, they don't accept any advertising.)
All and all I still like the Guardian and the app. To me it blows away the other major news organizations out there in terms of content, coverage, and the structure of the app.
* I also like the UK terms and spellings amongst the text of the stories. Adds a certain "ambiance" or "flavor" if you will, to the reading.
News: great; app: meh
The Guardian is just a fantastic news source: incisive, well-researched, all that news should be... But this app is really not up to the same standard: the stories are a small subset of those the main webpage (not to mention the print paper), the interface is overly devoted to images, the images fail to load incessantly, the "live" stories that often dominate the headlines are rambling, cable-newsish annoyances (rather than deep or relevant commentary) that, running in reverse-time, give very little of the whole picture. I really wish they would focus a little more on providing their excellent content rather than abridging it within a second (if not third) rate user interface.
Biased internal reviewers
Part of the enjoyment of this app was to be able to comment along with many others on some of the news items.
Unfortunately their internal reviewers seem to be very biased. You may comment on a story and have zero religious, sexist, racial, or political words to say, but if your comment does not fit the internal reviewers current thoughts they delete it. It appears that any story supported by the guardian that you disagree with with will only have a comment published if the comment extols the guardian.
If not they just delete it. Ways of time and effort for anyone that wants to actually have meaningful dialogue about any story with anybody else.
- Category: News
- Updated: Apr 20, 2015
- Version: 3.4
- Size: 21.5 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Guardian News & Media Ltd
- © Guardian News & Media 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- Premium tier subscription$2.99
- the Guardian App$0.99
- the Guardian App$4.99
- Premium tier subscription$15.99
- 12 month subscription to the Guardian iPhone app $6.99
- six month subscription to the Guardian iPhone app $4.99