WeChat is a messaging and calling app that allows you to easily connect with family & friends across countries. It's the all-in-one communications app for text (SMS/MMS), voice and video calls, Moments, photo sharing, and games.
WHY USE WECHAT:
• MULTIMEDIA MESSAGING: Send video, image, text, and voice messages.
• GROUP CHAT & CALLS: Create group chats with up to 500 people and group video calls up to 9 people.
• FREE VOICE & VIDEO CALLS: High-quality free calls to anywhere in the world.
• WECHAT OUT CALLS: Make calls to landlines and mobile around the globe at low rates (in certain regions only).
• STICKER GALLERY: Hundreds of free, fun, animated stickers to express your feelings from some of your favorite cartoons and movies.
• MOMENTS: Share your best moments on your personal photo stream.
• BETTER PRIVACY: WeChat gives you the highest level of control over your privacy. It's the only messaging app to be certified by TRUSTe.
• MEET NEW FRIENDS: Use “Friend Radar”, “People Nearby” and “Shake” to meet others.
• REALTIME LOCATION: Instead of having to tell others where you are, just use real-time location sharing.
• LANGUAGE SUPPORT: Localized in 20 different languages and can translate messages to any language.
• WeRun-WeChat: Access HealthKit data and challenge friends to beat their scores via the "WeRun-WeChat" Official Account.
• AND MORE: Desktop app, custom wallpapers, custom notifications, and Official Accounts.
- Use your phone camera and record Selfie Stickers
- Long-press the text input bar in a chat to insert a new line in your message
- Voice Input now supports instantly transcribing English, Mandarin Chinese, and Cantonese Chinese to text
- Directly browse articles from Subscription Accounts
- Use “Floating Window” to save an article for reading later
Ratings and Reviews
Long way to being international
WeChat and this app is really only a Chinese thing. They have made some attempts to make functions in other languages, like English, but way too many times you end up with only Chinese characters communicating to you. You would think they tested this but apparently not. Good example is your their feedback function, only Chinese. So no help to non-Chinese! Many functions send you to third party sites that’s only in Chinese. No translation function for that and no cooperation with third party sites to have a English language selection like all other international websites. Also, what a joke and probably a security issue is they let you register your international credit card and debit card, but afterwards you find out it can’t be used for ANYTHING! You would think they would not let you register if it does not work. I’ve had strangers in China helping me with WeChat who told me it’s not safe to give them this info. WeChat should not allow. WeChat is wonderful if your Chinese but has a long way to go to be an international platform and App. Eventually I hope they get there.
I’ve been sitting here for almost an hour trying to unblock my WeChat account because it’s been inactive for roughly six months. I understand having a two-step verification for increased security, but then I get to a page that requests someone else’s phone number who has a WeChat to verify me as a legitimate user, apparently. I use my account to communicate with a small number of people at home while I travel internationally (cheaper than an international phone plan), so this second phone number business really doesn’t work for all people. Does a chat platform like WeChat really need this level of security? I mean, it’s a chatting app, not encrypted CIA documents or something to truly keep under lock and key. Anyway, I’ve done research and found that it’s nearly impossible to unlock an account once this happens. It’s very frustrating that I’m permanently locked out because of this. I’ve just downloaded WhatsApp and will use that for all of my upcoming travels. Just thought I’d share to prevent anyone else from using such a poorly designed system, too.
Great improvements since I originally downloaded
I’ve seen a drastic improvement in the overall app since I began using it 7 months ago. The English version is getting great attention - which I appreciate.
I only have one suggestion and hope for a future update. As someone who is still learning Chinese, the in-chat translate option is a dream. As I find myself in multiple group chats for work where all conversation is in Chinese, I use this feature quite a lot. I do find it annoying having to tab across every time to reach this feature as it is the last option. If there was a way to re-arrange the options when selecting a message/text (for example translate would appear first and be the largest icon rather than copy or multi select(which I rarely ever use).
Overall great app - hope to see the continuous improvements in the future.
- Tencent Technology (Shenzhen) Company Limited
- 325 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Chinese (Hong Kong), French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- Copyright © 2011 - 2018 Tencent Inc. All Rights Reserved
- In-App Purchases
- WeChat Out Top-Up Card $0.99
- WeChat Out Top-Up Card $4.99
- WeChat Out Top-Up Card $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.