By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• Translate between 103 languages by typing
• Offline: Translate 52 languages when you have no Internet
• Instant camera translation: Use your camera to translate text instantly in 29 languages
• Camera Mode: Take pictures of text for higher-quality translations in 37 languages
• Conversation Mode: Two-way instant speech translation in 32 languages
• Handwriting: Draw characters instead of using the keyboard in 93 languages
Translations between the following languages are supported:
Afrikaans, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chichewa, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Corsican, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Frisian, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Khmer, Korean, Kurdish (Kurmanji), Kyrgyz, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Mongolian, Myanmar (Burmese), Nepali, Norwegian, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Scots Gaelic, Serbian, Sesotho, Shona, Sindhi, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Sundanese, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh, Xhosa, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zulu
What's New in Version 5.2.0
Several bug fixes and usability improvements
Offline translation in 52 languages
Instant camera translation: English to/from Chinese (Simplified and Traditional)
13 new languages
YOU GUYS DON'T GET IT!!!
Okay so first of all, google translate is an amazing app. Muy impresionante. But I've been seeing reviews on how it's not translating some phrases correctly. I wanted to point out that Google translate translates your phrase into a literal translation. I am currently taking a Spanish class and most people that are also know this: Most languages say things differently from us. In Spanish, they use their wording differently and that's why Google translate does not translate 100% correct. It only translates what you put in. Not corrections, conjugations, verb placing.. It does not do that. And that's what you guys have to understand. This app is amazing but you can't expect it to make perfectly typed sentences that's gonna get you that A on your test. Google translate is more of the app you use just to check if what you wrote/saw/spoke, was correct. Learn the language instead of thinking Google translate is gonna do it all for you. Thanks.
Decent translation but terrible UX
Whoever is in charge of UX has never used this app him/herself. Google is trying to be all "cool" with trying to pick up when a person stops speaking but it ends up being a terrible design choice. People don't speak in unbroken sentences...they stop midway to think or to remember something or they repeat what they said or paraphrase it all. There are natural pauses that the app totally butchers.
The point being: push-to-talk is sorely missed in this app.
Another thing missing is the ability to correct voice recognition before it is translated. Google has no hope in the world of capturing all proper nouns and locations correctly so the biggest misrecognition comes from the translator trying to fit something totally different when the speaker named a place or person.
Pretty decent translation app, of course it can't do all the work for you but it does the job. Suggestion: instead of putting the languages at the top in order of most recently used, I think it would be better to change the order to most frequently used. Sometimes I need to translate a phrase into a language that I'll rarely ever have to use and it's frustrating to have to scroll down all through the many languages again to find the ones I use the most in order to knock the rarely used one off the top list.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 01, 2016
- Version: 5.2.0
- Size: 32.0 MB
- Languages: English, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Georgian, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Korean, Laotian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © 2016 Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.