By John Miller
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
What's a geom-e-tree?
From its trunk up through its branches, a geom-e-tree (or Tree) is a geometric figure that has the same structure repeated throughout:
• Starting from its trunk, a geom-e-tree has the same number of branches at every node. This is the Tree's branching factor.
• Branches at each node are separated by the same angle.
• The lengths of branches vary from one level to the next according to a common ratio.
Trees have many surprises! Geom-e-Tree 1.3, The App, provides an entertaining, educational, immersive experience of geom-e-trees. We invite you to relax and enjoy all the brain-stimulating patterns Geom-e-Tree has to offer.
What's New in Version 1.3
Geom-e-Tree has some really wild new themes to chose from!
We've made the branching factor easier to change — A two-finger tap in the upper or lower half of the display increases or decreases the number of branches at each node in the Tree.
The double-tap gesture now toggles the Perfect Common Ratio Mode on or off.
• A Two-finger tap was introduced as the gesture for changing the branching factor up and down. The previous multiple-finger taps are no longer recognized. The new gesture makes it easy to see the effect of changing n while holding the angle and common ratio the same. (The kids' app, Geom-e-Twee, still uses just two or three fingers to directly set the number of branches to two or three.)
• We increased the maximum number of Tree branches to nine. The new gesture for changing the branching factor made it easy for us to allow 8 and 9 branched trees. Previously, a five-finger tap limited the number via gestures. We had 7 and 8-branched Reference trees in the arboretum that could be used to get a Tree of those degrees, but that was a hack.
• The double-tap gesture now toggles the Perfect Common Ratio Mode on or off. A narrow green border is displayed when a Tree is in PCR Mode.
• We added not just new themes, but new /kinds/ of themes: themes that vary line width as well as line length, themes that draw 1000's of dots at the nodes of the Tree instead of drawing branches, themes that draw nodes and branches, themes that draw nodes that vary in size, themes that draw circles at the midpoints of invisible branches, plus several other kinds of themes!
Minor changes and bug fixes:
• Tree line widths now appear (relatively) the same on all devices, and in thumbnail images, email messages, and photos. Previously, lines were not scaled consistently based on the image size. Dots (new in this version) are also scaled to match the image size.
• A red border previously was indicated when the common ratio was being constrained. Now, red prohibition signs appear in both upper corners.
• We tweaked the Rainbow theme colors, rounded the end caps, and changed the light blue background to neutral gray. We added pivot rivets to the Pop Stick theme.
• The Arboretum was enlarged to hold 384 Trees.
• We updated our code for iOS 6 and retina devices, and improved performance.
• When sending a Tree in Email, the attachment is given a useful name. For example "2-180-1.618.jpg" means it was a 2-branched (binary) tree at 180° with common ratio 1.618.
• Geom-e-Tree's Help and Geom-e-Tree.com were updated to reflect changes, and to give you better information.
Good times for me, friends, and kids
I keep Geom-e-Tree in my small folder of toys "for when I need calm and comfort." I have been playing with it for more than a year now - when I am waiting, when I want a few minutes of beauty in my life, or when I want to create an example of a fractal for illustrating something.
I also share it with friends as an example of accessible, deep math toy. It's a good conversation piece!
And finally, kids. It works great as a smart toy that delights, occupies, and teaches kids - as young as toddlers, and all the way to teens. When we meet with other parents, I often give my phone with Geom-e-Tree to their kids to explore. It's very engaging.
Amazing geometric concept
I'm surprised about the absence of reviews for this particular version of geom-e-tree, but in my humble opinion it is one of the most fascinating and beautiful app that I have. I've had it for quite a while. Recently they added color and that made it more beautiful. It deserves 5 shining stars.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Apr 22, 2013
- Version: 1.3
- Size: 2.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: JOHN MILLER
- © 2013, John E. Miller -- All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.