By Word Magic Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
WORKS OFFLINE - Expand your English vocabulary or find just the right word for the assignment, our comprehensive word selection and simple search options will have you using this app every day. With a minimalist display designed for functionality it features visual cues, like usage guides and regional flags, and easy navigation between detailed results.
One of the largest collections of synonyms and antonyms featuring pronunciation, it includes not only single terms but phrases and complete colloquial proverbs. This wide-ranging collection of terminology is intended to be a professional writing aid for native speakers and a reliable tool for those learning the language. Internet connection needed only for voices and spell-check.
What makes this English Thesaurus unique?
• The fact that you may enter set phrases, not only single terms, as valid entries.
• The fact that you may obtain synonyms of parts of speech usually not included in other thesauri, such as exclamations, prepositional phrases and idiomatic verbs. Even proverbs have their synonyms!
• Vast database; no less than 1,767,000+ synonyms and 361,000+ antonyms.
• 349,000+ English words and 25,000+ pictures.
• Meaning Descriptors to help distinguish between the different word meanings.
• Strict coherence of each synonym set. Transitive verbs yield only transitive synonyms. Intransitive verbs yield intransitive synonyms. Meanings and connotations of words are never mixed.
• Phonetic transcription following IPA standards in American and British English.
• Sync your favorites among your devices with Dropbox
• You may now enter plurals as valid entries.
• Customize using available themes, background color, and font.
• Fuzzy Search: Detects misspelled words and offers close suggestions.
* Please note this is a Thesaurus and therefore includes only English synonyms, no translations nor verb conjugations. Our General Reference Dictionary includes all those.
Voices powered by iSpeech.
What's New in Version 7.4.0
Thanks for using our dictionary. New in this update:
⁃ NEW NOTES! Now you can add personalized notes to each meaning of a word.
⁃ Small fixes.
Best iOS Thesaurus that I've found
I didn't purchase every thesaurus available in the App Store when I bought my first iPad, but I did buy five. And for those five that had in-app purchases for legal, medical, etc., upgrades, I purchased all of them.
Of all of the thesauri purchased, though, this is the best that I've tried. There isn't another that I would honour with five stars. If you only need one, rock-solid thesaurus, you can't do better than this gem from Word Magic.
While using this thesaurus application, which is so, so except that it does not always show antonyms, a nice nagging "Rate Me!" window pops up. It offers three choices, "Okay", "Maybe Later" and "No Thanks."
I, of course, choose "No Thanks" because I am not going to be badgered into giving an app compliments. Yet, right after I hit this I immediately receive the exact same nagging pop-up asking me to rate the application again. Well, you want to annoy me into rating and reviewing your application, here you go, enjoy.
If an app is great on its own merits you would not have to try and badger users into rating and reviewing said application. The fact that you utilize this unethical tactic really speaks volumes about the quality of the program in my opinion. That or the developer's insecurities about his application.
iPad Air 2/ iOS 8.3
Useful and comprehensive
There may be a more expensive Thesaurus out there but this is comprehensive enough for all but the most sophisticated use. It is quick and easy to access the synonyms and to follow a thread. This is one of my most useful apps.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jun 13, 2015
- Version: 7.4.0
- Size: 64.2 MB
- Languages: English, Spanish
- Seller: Word Magic Software Ltda.
- © 2015 Word Magic Software Ltda.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.