The Civil War Today
By A&E Television Networks Mobile
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
150 years after the start of the American Civil War, HISTORY presents The Civil War Today, an award-winning app created exclusively for the iPad. For less than one penny per day you can experience the war as it unfolded, one day at a time, with daily updates that let you live the events in “real-time” over the course of four years.
***Member of the iTunes App Store Essentials Hall of Fame***
***iTunes App of the Week selection***
The Civil War Today leverages the iPad multi-touch interface to enable app users to feel and explore thousands of original documents, photos, maps, diary entries, quotes, and newspaper broadsheets like never before.
The Civil War Today includes:
• Daily Civil War updates from April 12, 2011 through April 26, 2015. The app content updates ONE DAY AT A TIME, precisely mirroring the events of 150 years ago
• “In the Headlines” featuring newspapers from every day of the war.
• Running tallies of the North and South casualty counts.
• “A Day in the Life” with personal letters and diary entries from 15 individuals including Abraham Lincoln, Horatio Nelson Taft, and Mary Boykin Miller Chesnut.
• Photo of the day and photo galleries.
• Quote of the day.
• Articles and video on featured topics.
• Authentic period maps from key battlegrounds.
• Daily North-South quiz.
• Detailed background scenes that put you in the time and place of the Civil War. (Northern city, Southern plantation, Western frontier town, military camp).
• Twitter integration to send a telegram via morse code.
• Airplay integration for viewing of app video via Apple TV.
• Advanced multi-finger gesture functionality and custom toolbar for deep navigation.
Witness the Civil War play out 150 years later, one day at a time, in this first-of-its-kind app.
What's New in Version 2.0.1
***This update fixes a problem some users experienced with the date not advancing past April 6, 1865***
The war is (almost) over! This new update continues with the daily content updates until April 26, but also makes the 4+ years of daily stories, video, photos and maps easily accessible:
• A date picker for quickly jumping to a specific day
• A timeline that shows cards for the 30 most important events of the war
• A timeline slider to easily browse periods of the war
• The app has been fully re-engineered for better performance, numerous bug fixes and iOS 8 compliance.
• Big thanks to all the folks who have been checking out the CWT app for the past 4 years! HISTORY salutes you!
• We welcome your comments: firstname.lastname@example.org
I wake up every day and read news from 150 years ago, it's all new to me, really puts you in the moment. Thank you so much for this update! I can now read the newspapers I used read until all the iOS updates and equipment updates, I started out on an iPad 2 and now I'm own an iPad Air. The papers download wonderfully. Thank you so much for so much information and entertainment for 4 years! New update to correct problems some were having was a very nice gesture.
Great App but...
The content is amazing and ever-changing. My only complaint is how the app was programmed to draw maps and photos and to redraw them when zoomed in. When zooming in on the very high resolution maps, it feels like the app is trying to redraw the entire map, even the parts that are outside of the viewable area, which takes forever. It often then crashes mid-redraw.
App is even more beautiful now
Even easier to navigate, and no more crashing! I like being able to browse through the years or find a specific day in history easily.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Apr 10, 2015
- Version: 2.0.1
- Size: 70.2 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: A&E Television Networks Mobile
- © 2015: A&E Television Networks, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.