The Civil War Today
By A&E Television Networks Mobile
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
150 years after the start of the American Civil War, HISTORY presents The Civil War Today, an award-winning app created exclusively for the iPad. For less than one penny per day you can experience the war as it unfolded, one day at a time, with daily updates that let you live the events in “real-time” over the course of four years.
***Member of the iTunes App Store Essentials Hall of Fame***
***iTunes App of the Week selection***
The Civil War Today leverages the iPad multi-touch interface to enable app users to feel and explore thousands of original documents, photos, maps, diary entries, quotes, and newspaper broadsheets like never before.
The Civil War Today includes:
• Daily Civil War updates from April 12, 2011 through April 26, 2015. The app content updates ONE DAY AT A TIME, precisely mirroring the events of 150 years ago
• “In the Headlines” featuring newspapers from every day of the war.
• Running tallies of the North and South casualty counts.
• “A Day in the Life” with personal letters and diary entries from 15 individuals including Abraham Lincoln, Horatio Nelson Taft, and Mary Boykin Miller Chesnut.
• Photo of the day and photo galleries.
• Quote of the day.
• Articles and video on featured topics.
• Authentic period maps from key battlegrounds.
• Daily North-South quiz.
• Detailed background scenes that put you in the time and place of the Civil War. (Northern city, Southern plantation, Western frontier town, military camp).
• Twitter integration to send a telegram via morse code.
• Airplay integration for viewing of app video via Apple TV.
• Advanced multi-finger gesture functionality and custom toolbar for deep navigation.
Witness the Civil War play out 150 years later, one day at a time, in this first-of-its-kind app.
What's New in Version 2.0.1
***This update fixes a problem some users experienced with the date not advancing past April 6, 1865***
The war is (almost) over! This new update continues with the daily content updates until April 26, but also makes the 4+ years of daily stories, video, photos and maps easily accessible:
• A date picker for quickly jumping to a specific day
• A timeline that shows cards for the 30 most important events of the war
• A timeline slider to easily browse periods of the war
• The app has been fully re-engineered for better performance, numerous bug fixes and iOS 8 compliance.
• Big thanks to all the folks who have been checking out the CWT app for the past 4 years! HISTORY salutes you!
• We welcome your comments: firstname.lastname@example.org
I wake up every day and read news from 150 years ago, it's all new to me, really puts you in the moment. Thank you so much for this update! I can now read the newspapers I used read until all the iOS updates and equipment updates, I started out on an iPad 2 and now I'm own an iPad Air. The papers download wonderfully. Thank you so much for so much information and entertainment for 4 years! New update to correct problems some were having was a very nice gesture.
App is even more beautiful now
Even easier to navigate, and no more crashing! I like being able to browse through the years or find a specific day in history easily.
New problems with the app
At last, a working update! I'm finally able to read beyond April 6, through Lee's surrender.
It's been a memorable 4 years of reading the history, personal thoughts, and emotions of those who lived through the war. I'm not sure how I'll spend my mornings.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Apr 10, 2015
- Version: 2.0.1
- Size: 70.2 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: A&E Television Networks Mobile
- © 2015: A&E Television Networks, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.