This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
With HBO GO you can watch big premieres as they air—plus every episode of HBO's addictive series such as Game of Thrones, Westworld, Big Little Lies, and so much more.
In addition to getting new movies every week, you also get news, comedy specials, smart talk shows, thought-provoking documentaries, and the special events everyone's talking about.
You can watch HBO GO on your favorite screen—phone, tablet, computer, connected TV or gaming device.
HBO GO® is only accessible in the U.S. and certain U.S. territories. Some restrictions apply. ©2017 Home Box Office, Inc. All rights reserved. HBO GO® and related channels and service marks are the property of Home Box Office, Inc.
For help, please visit help.hbogo.com.
Terms of Service: http://play.hbogo.com/terms
What's New in Version 10.1.0
- Chromecast Improvements and Bug Fixes
Good Sh... Stuff! Kinda...
It does what I needed to do, looks nice, and functions as well as the PS3-version of the app. More than satisfied when watching on the device that launched the app.
The functionality with Chromecast, however, is quite poor.
1. Why is the little carrot-arrow the ONLY part of the minimized controls that will maximize to the full control screen?
2. Why do items that are hidden or obstructed visually by the minimized control bar, seem to always have touch preference? I tap any of the mini controls, especially that nearly untappable carrot-arrow, and the app starts playing whatever happened to be underneath. And, when that happens, what I was trying to watch is not available under "continue watching", so I must find it again; restarting from the beginning.
3. Why do the 10-second skip controls persist while casting? Have you ever used other casting apps? The rest convert their 10-second skip controls to 30-second skip when casting. Every control executes after a buffering delay, except pause and (resume) play. So, it takes about 5 seconds to execute a 10-second skip OR a 30-second skip. To put it in perspective, a 30-second skip would be equally frustrating if it takes 15 seconds to execute. And, if a 10-second skip takes 15 seconds to execute, your app should either have a drug habit, or be traveling near the speed of causality (a.k.a. the speed of light).
HBO phoning it in...
HBO Go is a half baked attempt at making a mobile app so some overpaid executive can say “we have a mobile app” and nothing more. The iPad version of the HBO Go app lacks even basic search functionality severely limiting the content you can access. This means that you can only access the titles they put in the section scrolls and banner. Good luck watching some of the acclaimed older series such as The Sopranos. Thye have a section to view classics, but those work intermittently at best, more often than not they display no content at all, especially under iOS 11. To make matters worse the “watchlist” function that is present in the Roku and SmartTV versions of the application is curiously absent making it extremely tedious to pick up where you left off in the living room, if you even can find the show you were watching to begin with.
With all the resources available to HBO, this sad excuse for an app is ridiculous. I am guessing the CMO got their bonus anyway though. Pathetic.
Updated as of June 1: Casting completely broken
Update (June 1): After updating, chromecast functionality has been fixed and I am a happy camper, on to the Silicon Valley marathon.
Chromecast functionality is completely broken, every time I try and connect, about 50% of the time it works, and the other 50% of the time it crashes and isn't able to connect at all. And then, in the short list of times it does connect, as soon as you leave the app to go view something else on your phone, the button functionality completely breaks and I can't even stop the episode I'm watching, let alone change it to continue the series I'm watching. Come on guys, please fix this.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Jun 01, 2017
- Version: 10.1.0
- Size: 41.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Home Box Office Inc.
- © 2017 Home Box Office, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Apple TV: Yes