SkySafari 3 Plus
By Simulation Curriculum Corp.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
***SkySafari has been upgraded! Copy and paste the link below into your browser for the NEW SkySafari 4 Plus***
"The best of all the star chart apps for iOS..."
- The Mac Observer
"Revolutionary and a game-changer..."
- Sky and Telescope
Spaceflight has never been so easy! With SkySafari 3 Plus, you can turn your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch into a 21st-century telescope controller. SkySafari is your celestial travel guide!
SkySafari 3 comes in three versions. Plus adds a hugely expanded database, wired or wireless telescope control - and the ability to fly into orbit around other objects in our Solar System - to our basic version.
What you can do with SkySafari 3 Plus:
• Point and hover your mobile device at the night sky to identify constellations, planets, satellites, stars, and other sky objects from your location.
• Search for any object in the sky, and follow the arrow on screen to find it!
• 2.5 million stars, 31,000 deep sky objects including the entire NGC/IC catalog, 4,000 asteroids, comets, and satellites with updateable orbits.
• Telescope Control – Point your GoTo or “Push-To” telescope anywhere in the sky using your device’s WiFi and our SkyFi or SkyWire!
• Over 800 images from NASA space missions, the Hubble Space Telescope, and the world's foremost astro-photographers.
• 1100 encyclopedic descriptions of sky objects written by professional astronomers.
• Accurately shows you the sky from any place on Earth, at anytime up to 1 million years in the past or future.
• Displays the Solar System's major planets and moons using NASA spacecraft imagery.
• “Night” button to preserve your dark adaptation as you're exploring the night sky.
• “Time Flow” Feature - follow the motion of sky objects as SkySafari compresses days, months, and years into a few seconds.
• SkyWeek - interactive sky charts for each day of the week, and links to more articles on Sky and Telescope's website.
• Includes all major sky events: eclipses, conjunctions, good meteor showers — miss nothing!
***TOP NEW FEATURES IN SkySafari 4 Plus***
• Completely reinvented scope control panel with new telescope equipment settings.
• Animated Meteor Showers – with complete viewing information and spectacular graphics!
• New and Updated Descriptions – for HUNDREDS of objects!
• Log observations of objects directly from the Object Info view.
• Apple Maps Integration: Choose your location from a built-in Maps view!
• Advanced Search – find objects using properties other than their name, results sortable by name, number, magnitude, RA, and many other properties!
• Dozens more tweaks, bug fixes, and additions we don’t have room to list here!
***Copy and paste the link below into your browser for the NEW SkySafari 4 Plus***
Please Note: there is no upgrade pricing from SkySafari Plus to Pro. Make to get the version you want!
What's New in Version 3.8.5
1) Fixes problem with predicting the position of comet ISON after perihelion (and other objects which pass very close to the Sun).
2) Locations in Arizona, USA now never observe daylight savings time.
3) Restored labels under the toolbar icons in the SkyWeek screen.
4) Fixed cosmetic problems on iOS 7: center coordinates and field of view labels now update quickly while panning/zooming; the blinking selection marker doesn't get left in its old location when panning the chart.
5) Fixed centering bug when starting time flow from orbit around a solar system object.
6) Ecliptic and Galactic longitude are now parsed correctly when entered in the Coordinates settings screen.
7) Fixed problem where the “Add to Observing List” and the “Make Observing List” buttons were sometimes white in night vision.
8) Changed the default setting for "Send Time & Location" under (Scope Setup) to OFF
9) Fixed problem where the screen showing an observing list wouldn’t get a Done button in some cases on iOS 7.
10) Fixed failure to apply alignment offset to GoTo commands for ServoCAT telescopes.
Look for the 4 versions, this is being replaced!
UPDATED:UPDATED: You should buy an app from this company, BUT don’t buy this one because they have an upgraded version called sky safari 4 plus. After enjoying this app so much I found out the company that made it is very grass roots-ish. So even though it costs more than your typical app, its profit is going to a small group of guys, not a mega corporation. They also respond to emails like you’re a customer and not just a number, I was expecting a copy/paste response when I wrote to tech support about an issue. It was a pleasant surprise.
PS: I have since upgraded to Sky Safari 4 Pro, check that one out, it’s cheaper than a Playstation or Xbox game and you’ll play(/learn) with it for way longer.
PPS: The differences between plus and pro. Pro gives you so many more stars than I really need, but what makes me like pro so much is the much higher picture quality in the app. The moon and mars has much better quality pictures.
PPPS: No in-app purchases which is nice
So much information...It took me a few days to choose between the pro and the plus version. I'm happy I chose this one, because this app has waaay more stars than I need. Built well, I have lots of astronomy apps and this def feels worth $15, even for App Store standards.
I would like a section in the app that will say all the satellite flybys occurring in the next few hours/today.
Great help when using a non-goto telescope and stargazing in general
I have used this app for a couple of weeks. I love the fact that it gives great information about every object you can see. Just tap the object and then hit the info icon. It even gives RA and DEC information for planets (which another app I tried did not). This makes it much easier to find the harder to find planets when using just setting circles on my non-goto telescope. There is an incredible amount of information to help any level of astronomy buff.
Lastly, I had an issue with a setting. I emailed the developers and within 24 hours I recieved advice on how to solve my issue. Not only is the app great, the service and commitment to their customers is just as good.
Makes it easier
I use Sky Safari with a Celestron telescope on a CGEM mount through a SkyFi box. I can just point at an object on my iPad or iPhone screen and send the telescope there. It works. It's particularly great for star parties because I can be away from the instrument showing the participants information about what they are about to see while the scope is slewing.
Away from the scope I use it on my phone just to enjoy learning about the night sky and answering the eternal question, "is that....?"
A great app that can grow with you.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 18, 2013
- Version: 3.8.5
- Size: 232 MB
- Languages: English, French, Spanish
- Seller: Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- © 2009-2014 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.