Play Snake like it is 1997. This is a remake of the original Snake, complete with dot-matrix display and monotone sounds.
Rewind time and get a dosis of nostalgia that is as addictive (and frustrating) as the original.
Play Snake '97 and be prepared to lose some productive hours.
Simply launch the app, touch a button and start!
Snake '97 features:
- old school controls
- dot-matrix display
- original monotone sounds (bleep bleep)
- 9 original and 3 extra difficulty levels
- Snake 1 and classic Snake 2
- 7 classic game modes (5110, 3210, 8210, 8850 and 3310, 3410, 7110 with Snake 2)
- bonus creatures (Snake 2)
- go through the walls! (Snake 2)
- 5 original and 2 extra labyrinths (Snake 2)
- a high score that cannot be reset (just like the original)
The story behind this game is that my smartphone got damaged, requiring me to revert back to an old phone. Suddenly I knew the smartphone was missing something and the idea for a accurate Snake remake was born.
Snake '97 is an homage to the classic mobile phone game programmed in 1997.
By carefully analyzing the classic gameplay, timing and controls, this Snake '97 remake is one of the most accurate available.
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, feel free to contact me.
Have Snake fun!
Best regards from Amsterdam,
Big update, featuring:
- 5 original and two new larger game modes (3410 / 7110)
- optimized graphics (including iPhone X and Plus models)
- greatly improved responsiveness of the touch controls
- feel the gameplay thanks to vibration feedback (if your device supports it)
- play in wide screen (entire screen is a button)
- pause anytime by touching the center of the virtual screen
- support for hardware (iPad / Bluetooth) keyboards
- iPad split screen support
- world wide highscores and ranking (all platforms)
Please leave a review to let me know if you like this update, thanks!
Ratings and Reviews
Pretty good for free
As the other reviewers have noted, there are a few glitches in it. My biggest issue is that there doesn’t seem to be a reliable way to pause the game in progress when you switch out of the app; sometimes it will resume when you com back, sometimes it’ll be a new game.
I’m not against adds after each game; however, be aware some of the adds are video adds, which are very annoying and intrusive. The audio of one add continued playing even after I dismissed it, and would continue to play every time the app was opened. I had to restart my iPhone to finally get it to stop.
I’d happily pay a little for an add-free version.
Other than that, it’s enjoy and just as addicting as it was in the 90’s.
I'd usually give this game 5 stars; after all, it plays well, it's relatively glitch-free, and it's fun. However, I encountered two things today that made me knock it down a star. First is the score glitch, where, after losing one game to accidentally entering settings (I'll get back to this), I kept seeing the game over screen while playing, or see two at the end. The second thing is that more often than not, I'll end a game by entering settings by accident. On the last phone (I don't know which brand) I realized just today, this will cause your game to reset. While I know why it happens, it's mildly annoying. Other than these (and the constant ads), it's a great app. Get it.
I work for Verizon Wireless, and have been selling phones since 1998. I've witnessed the birth of the smartphone, text messaging, mobile internet, color screens, etc. I was always a massive fan of Nokia, and their products. I miss the days when T9 input was considered cutting edge tech. This app brings back good memories. Works great, and the option to use different phone models is a huge bonus! Sure, you get a fairly simple advertisement after each game, but the app costs nothing, and app development isn't free, so there's really nothing to complain about. Whoever had the idea to bring this game back, I tip my hat to you. Thank you!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.