Mumble - High quality, low latency voice chat
Mumble is a free group voice chat application. It allows you to talk to your friends on the go, and has finally arrived on the iOS platform. Simply find a public server and join it to chat with your friends!
Mumble requires a connection to a server to function. Servers can be rented from commercial hosting companies. The Mumble server software is also available free-of-charge under and open source license, so individuals are free to create their own servers, without limitations. See https://www.mumble.info for more information regarding Mumble servers.
Mumble provides the following features:
• High quality, low latency voice chats via WiFi or 3G using state of the art codecs
• Access to thousands of public servers -- free for you to use when chatting with friends
• Ability to chat with hundreds of thousands of regular users of Mumble around the world
• An easily accessible list of all of your favorite servers
• Connect to and list available Mumble servers on the local network
• SSL/TLS encryption of connections to remote servers; voice data encrypted using OCB2-AES128
• Strong and flexible authentication with remote servers using either passwords or X.509 certificates
• Advanced audio configuration, allowing users to configure the quality and bandwidth
requirements of their transmitted audio (perfect for 3G connections with slow upload)
• Push-to-Talk and Voice Activated audio transmission modes (for hands-free operation)
• Flexible user-to-user and user-to-channel text messaging system for sharing links or images while talking
• Basic user functionality on Mumble servers (server administration not possible)
• Push-to-talk transmission mode.
• Echo cancellation for the built-in microphone.
• Bluetooth headset support.
Mumble is open source software, developed collaboratively on the Internet. Mumble and its server software are available for free, for anyone to use. For more information about Mumble, please visit our website at http://www.mumbleapp.com.
- Mumble has been updated to display properly on newer iOS devices.
- Mumble now works in 64-bit mode.
Ratings and Reviews
Mumble is a great VoIP client, and while I mostly use it on the desktop; being able to use it occasionally on my phone works out great!
My only minor complaint is I don't like to have to leave a server, just to quickly adjust my settings.
64-Bit support! YES!
Not amazing for iPad
The app is designed for an iPhone’s resolution and screen size, thus making it awkward to run on an iPad. Basically all of the features work (which is why 4 stars), but 1 star off for not being fully compatible with an iPad :(
Very happy this app is still supported. Thank you for taking the time to release a much needed update for compatibility sake.
Would be awesome to have an auto reconnect option.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.