By Richard Wolton
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Zoom and spin your way around the world with this fully immersive 3D Earthquake display app. Earthquake 3D uses animated graphics to show you the "big picture" and visualize large amounts of Earthquake data quickly and easily. Go where no seismogram has gone before with a fascinating and mesmerizing look at the world's Earthquakes.
- Eight different Earth display types that include population and tectonic plate maps.
- Four different custom view 'presets'.
- Solid and wire frame 3D views with transparent Earth ability.
- A Sequencer that shows Earthquakes as they occurred using animation loops.
- Control Speed, Decay, and Sound of Earthquake sequencer loops.
- Includes 4000+ years of Historic Earthquake information.
- Data from USGS, European EMSC, British Geological Survey, and New Zealand Geonet.
- Current worldwide Volcano activity display..
- Includes DEX depth visualization.
- Individual quake indicator 'flags' that show magnitude or depth.
- Tap on individual indicator 'flags' to show details for each Earthquake.
- Earthquake details include Local Maps, Local News, and Advanced Seismic Information.
- Can import up to four external Earth images that are supplied by the user.
- Uses "point and drag" to position and spin the Earth. Uses "pinching" for zoom.
- Filter Earthquakes by magnitude and age with slider controls.
- Earthquake angle indicators.
- Automatic Refresh Timer
- Retina enabled.
- And much more...
In addition to providing several 'live' sources of current Earthquake information, an Atlas database is also included. The Atlas database shows over 4000 years of Historic Earthquake information. This database (updated periodically) is built-in to Earthquake 3D and is available even when you are off-line.
This edition of Earthquake 3D represents a third generation of this very popular computer program. Started in 2003 as a desktop application, it has become a widely adopted standard for video presentations and visualizations of Earthquake information. This latest edition brings new features and updates to this modern classic. Whether you are exploring the geo sciences, or you just want to find out if you felt that last quake, this app will keep you up to date with the latest Earthquake information.
What's New in Version 3.90
- Automatic Refresh Timer.
- Atlas update with the latest significant Earthquakes.
- USGS feed updates.
The amount of data available is staggering.
Change your source feed to change your focus, and level of detail available. Filter by magnitude, and number of days in the past. Set visual indicators to display magnitude or depth of quake. Set globe to indicate tectonic plates, population centers (night view) or hollow globes to view impact on the antipode of site. Click on labels to get time, magnitude and depth and location of quakes, with links to detailed maps. Four "saved settings" views and the ability to step quickly through views.
Historic data available by changing settings, as is volcano info. Absolutely the most flexible app for earthquakes.
Disappointed with its limitations
Very limited compared to the Windows paid version. Infrequent updates, low-res maps even with a Retina display & only a few data feeds is very disappointing. Didn't expect it to have all of the Windows bells & whistles for $7, but it is closer in features to the free Windows version. Three stars only because it is still useful.
This is a really amazing app for earthquake monitoring, incredibly detailed views and so many different ways to watch the Earth in real time with interactive high quality vector views, wireframe, 3D models chowing depth, magnitude and much more. Woth every penny and more. The iPad and iPhone versions are incredible;.