Colors by Number
By Keith Lovell
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Colors by Number is a color selection tool used by design professionals, visual artists and developers. It is also a teaching tool for introducing students to the nuances of color theory and its application as an immediate, personal experience.
The Colors by Number interface is divided into a central display area flanked by control panels featuring multiple options for viewing, defining, adjusting, managing and sharing selected color sets. Form - follows - function.
Experience the interaction of color through literally billions of unique combinations of four colors displayed in your choice of 10 different geometric designs through a fun, intuitive and customizable user interface.
VIEW / SAVE (center panel)
• Cycle through billions of combinations of four colors generated in either Manual or Auto mode (where colors change every 3 seconds - a progress bar monitors the loading of each new color set)
• Toggle back and forth between 10 interchangeable geometric designs to view colors surrounding, adjoining and / or layered on top of one another
• Each design is comprised of four distinct color areas arranged and identified in numbered, overlapping layers
• Colors by Number is programmed such that no two colors can ever the same within a given four-color combination
• Back and Forward buttons allow you to review your entire session history, one step at a time
• Eyedropper function for sampling and capturing colors generated in the central display - any of the colors in the resulting palette(s) can be selected and dropped onto existing colors in the right-hand control panel
• Option to hide left and right control panels (try hiding both control panels, select Auto mode and see what happens next!)
• Save as many of your color selections as you like – for editing, printing, sharing or exporting for use in other applications
SELECT / ADJUST (right panel)
• All color values are defined in RGB, HSB and Hexadecimal color models plus alpha channel (transparency) values
• Manipulate individual color values by adjusting slider controls or direct text input – changes are reflected in real time in color blocks associated with controls and in the main (center) display area
• Any number of the four colors in a given design can be locked to prevent a color (or colors) from changing – by tapping once on its corresponding small color block; tapping again unlocks the color(s)
• Tapping twice on a small color block in the right-hand control panel brings up a Visual Color Selector where you can choose to edit or replace an eisting color
• Info button provides access to Colors by Number's video tutorial, web site, blog and social network pages
EDIT / MANAGE / EXPORT (left panel)
• View your entire session-specific history recorded from generated color / design selections, slider adjustments, text inputs or saved color palette / design retrievals
• Store an unlimted number of color selections in a Library that can be viewed even after Colors by Number has been quit and restarted; stored selections stored in the Library include dates created and last modified
• Print multiple selections with color data and associated thumbnail images to AirPrint-enabled printers
• Edit: review, add, delete or modify your Saved and Library selections at any time
• Export multiple, saved color selections as Adobe Swatch Exchange (ASE) or Image files through iTunes and email – all selections exported via email include thumbnail images with numbered color areas and color data including aplha channel values
• Share saved color / design selections via message or email, or post them to your Twitter or Facebook pages
What's New in Version 1.3
- Support for iOS 7
- Simplified sharing and export functions
- Enhancements to artwork
- Minor bug fixes