Colors by Number
By Keith Lovell
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Colors by Number is an advanced color selection tool used by design professionals, visual artists, educators, developers and color specialists – to complement the ongoing discovery and use of color in the mediums, applications and interests of their choice.
Colors by Number offers a robust selection of intuitive tools for viewing, saving, editing, printing, exporting, managing and sharing selections from billions of unique color combinations displayed in your choice of 10 distinctive geometric designs.
Colors by Number defines all colors in alphanumeric values (A-F, 0-9) through standard color models (RGB, HSB and Hexidecimal) to enable and encourage the articulation, replication and sharing of unique color combinations.
The Colors by Number user interface is divided into a central display area flanked by control panels featuring multiple options for viewing, defining, adjusting and managing selected color sets. Form - follows - function.
VIEW / SAVE (center panel)
• Cycle through billions of combinations of four colors generated in either Manual or Auto mode (where colors change every 3 seconds - a progress bar monitors the loading of each new color set)
• Toggle back and forth between 10 interchangeable geometric designs to view colors surrounding, adjoining and / or layered on top of one another
• Each design is comprised of four distinct color areas arranged and identified in numbered, overlapping layers
• Colors by Number is programmed such that no two colors can ever repeat within a given four-color combination
• Back and Forward buttons allow you to review your entire session history, one step at a time
• Eyedropper function for sampling and capturing colors generated in the central display - any of the colors in the resulting palette(s) can be selected and dropped onto existing colors in the right-hand control panel
• Option to hide left and right control panels (try hiding both control panels, select Auto mode and see what happens next!)
• Save as many of your color selections as you like – for editing, printing, sharing or exporting for use in other applications
SELECT / ADJUST (right panel)
• All color values are defined in RGB, HSB and Hexadecimal color models plus alpha channel (transparency) values
• Manipulate individual color values by adjusting slider controls or direct text input – changes are reflected in real time in color blocks associated with controls and in the main (center) display area
• Any number of the four colors in a given design can be locked to prevent a color (or colors) from changing – by tapping once on its corresponding small color block; tapping again unlocks the color(s)
• Tapping twice on a small color block in the right-hand control panel brings up a Visual Color Selector where you can choose to edit or replace an eisting color
• Info button provides access to Colors by Number's video tutorial, web site, blog and social network pages
EDIT / MANAGE / EXPORT (left panel)
• View your entire session-specific history recorded from generated color / design selections, slider adjustments, text inputs or saved color palette / design retrievals
• Store an unlimted number of color selections in a Library that can be viewed even after Colors by Number has been quit and restarted; stored selections stored in the Library include dates created and last modified
• Print multiple selections with color data and associated thumbnail images to AirPrint-enabled printers
• Edit: review, add, delete or modify your Saved and Library selections at any time
• Export multiple, saved color selections as Adobe Swatch Exchange (ASE) or Image files through iTunes and email – all selections exported via email include thumbnail images with numbered color areas and color data including aplha channel values
• Share your color / design selections via message, email, Twitter or Facebook
What's New in Version 1.6.2