Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Now anyone can create stunning iBooks textbooks, cookbooks, history books, picture books, and more for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Start with one of the Apple-designed templates that feature a wide variety of page layouts. Add your own text and images with drag-and-drop ease. Use Multi-Touch widgets to include interactive photo galleries, movies, Keynote presentations, 3D objects, and more. Preview your book on your iOS device or Mac at any time. Then submit your finished work to the iBooks Store in a few simple steps. And before you know it, you’re a published author.
• Give your book a great beginning with templates that include a choice of page designs with matching fonts, colors, and textures
• Quickly customize your book with text and images, create new layouts, and even save a custom template
• Easily add a cover, video introduction, table of contents, copyright page, dedication, and foreword
Beautiful text and layouts
• Use a variety of text styles including custom fonts to give your book a rich yet consistent look
• Add text, shapes, charts, tables, and media anywhere on the page
• Import a chapter written in Pages or Microsoft Word and apply a great-looking layout from your current template
• Add sophisticated mathematical expressions with native equation editing using both LaTeX and MathML notation
• Add any word to the glossary with a single click and easily include photos, images, charts, tables, and shapes next to any definition
• Automatically create a portrait view of your landscape book, which allows readers to focus on the text
• Choose from a variety of widgets that add Multi-Touch interactivity to your book
• Add a photo gallery, chapter review, movie, audio file, Keynote presentation, scrolling sidebar, dynamic pop-over, interactive image with callouts, 3D object, or custom HTML anywhere in your book
• Many widgets include placeholders for titles and captions and are automatically numbered so you can reference them in your main text
• Add accessibility descriptions to any widget so that it can be used by sight-impaired readers easily with VoiceOver
Export for iBooks Store or iTunes U
• Preview your book in iBooks on iPhone, iPad and on Mac to see how it looks and works
• Submit your book to the iBooks Store for sale or free download in a few simple steps
• Export your book in iBooks format to share on iTunes U or to give to others
• Export your book as a PDF file
• macOS 10.11 or later
• 2GB of RAM
• 1.2GB of available disk space
• Keynote 6.0 or later (required for importing presentations created in Keynote 6.0+)
• Pages 5.0 or later (required for importing documents created in Pages 5.0+)
• iBooks for iOS 4.3 or later (required for previewing on an iOS device)
• iBooks for Mac 1.3 or later (required for previewing on Mac)
• iTunes Producer 2.9 or later (required for book publishing)
• Network Connection (required for book publishing)
What's New in Version 2.5
• New templates for creating interactive ePub books
• Support for publishing to iBooks using an Apple ID with two-factor authentication enabled
• Improved workflow when publishing books on behalf of multiple sellers
• Performance and stability improvements
Heading in the right direction, but...
I discoverd this app while reading a PDF that someone created using iBooks Author. I’ve been using it for a few days now and it is a really nice app EXCEPT I echo what others have said (iCloud sync for one). But…why not make an iPad/iPhone version? Yes it would not be as fully functional (although I don’t understand why…Pages and Numbers are available on the iPad, iPhone and Mac) but right now, when I am away from my Mac, I write on iOS Notes and then I have to transfer what I wrote to iBooks Author on my Mac. Of course, if there is no iCloud sync (like others have pointed out), having an iPad/iPhone app doesn’t make any sense. I truly hope that Apple is not going to only do simple upgrades. This truly is a great app. It has so much potential. Please, Apple, don’t leave us hanging here. Listen to the feedback and keep improving this app. Thank you.
Who’s deciding on update specs
I am mostly repeating what two other users have already said but it bears repeating. For quite some time, iBooks Media Browser will not sync (work with at all) the Photos library or iTunes library. I find this amazing. It seems that Apple is simply providing updates to ensure iBooks (generally) works with the latest OS. Reminds me of the time Apple abandoned Aperture (and its customers). Also, the reviewer that questioned why iBooks does not have all the iCloud syncing abilities of so many other apps is spot on. iBooks feels like an app that is limping along simply to appease customers. Otherwise, if Apple is serious about iBooks, why not provide the necessary resources to provide a proper, fully functional update (including attention to UI improvements). I hope Apple provides the necessary reources to keep iBooks viable. Otherwise Apple, just tell us you no longer care, and drop the rouse.
This software is not user friendly at all. Much of what I would expect to find here which is found in similar formats like PowerPoint are simply lacking. I’ve viewed so many support forums which direct me to things like layout master which are not in this program at all. I cannot for the life of me get the pages to number. First I had one page that displayed a number but none of the other pages did. Now none of my pages have numbers (yes I’ve gone to inspector and changed the numbering options but NOTHING works). All of that being said… What I have managed to work up so far is incredibly beautiful. I am hoping future updates will help make this app more user-friendly and second-nature, like much of the rest of Apple products and apps.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Sep 20, 2016
- Version: 2.5
- Size: 405 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Apple Inc.
- © 2011-2016 Apple Inc.
Compatibility: OS X 10.11 or later