Stars and Stripes Military News
By Stars and Stripes
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Stars and Stripes Military News app offers you quick on-the-go access to the best reporting on U.S. military-related news and information. Get an insider's view from the independent perspective of Stars and Stripes.
** Have an iPad? Check out the Stars and Stripes Tablet Edition on the App Store **
Whether you're active duty, reserve, retired, DoD civilian or a concerned citizen or family member, Stripes delivers the military news and information that matters the most to you. Stripes offers First-Amendment protected, objective reporting when and where you need it.
• Always updated and unique reporting from Stars and Stripes journalists located around the world and embedded with our troops.
• Engaging photography captured by Stripes photojournalists.
• Twelve categories of content from Veterans to the latest from Europe and Pacific news.
• Easily customize the order the categories appear.
• See the Most Read articles from Stripes.com.
• Quickly share news with friends and family via Facebook, Twitter, email and more
• 5-day local weather, no matter where in the world you find yourself.
• Real-time comments from across all our apps and website.
• Stars and Stripes' insight – unlike any other independent source for U.S. military news.
** Have questions or suggestions? Please contact us at iPhoneFeedback@stripes.com. **
An Independent Perspective
News apps may be a dime a dozen – but an app from the only news media organization inside the U.S. Department of Defense that enjoys First Amendment privileges is a different story. Other DoD media report only what the government says – only Stars and Stripes reports on military issues and events from an independent perspective, relying on multiple sources, not just the command’s point of view.
An Illustrious History
Reporting continuously since 1942, Stars and Stripes has covered every major conflict since World War II. Stripes reporters have served alongside American soldiers, Marines, sailors and airmen in Korea, Vietnam, the first Gulf War, Bosnia and Kosovo. They embed with military units and on Navy ships to cover the conflicts and wars around the world, and still report from Afghanistan.
** Providing you with the best experience is our top priority. Send feedback to iPhoneFeedback@stripes.com. **
What's New in Version 3.3
- Article sharing is now using the iOS native sharing system. This enables sharing with multiple accounts and many additional social media services.
- Improved article feed system for faster performance and load time.
- Improved swiping between categories.
- Fixed the bug where comments link disappeared.
- Various bug fixes and performance improvements.
Stars and Stripes Forever
Not for just those with military roots ... often S&S will pick print articles of a non-military nature that you just wont see anywhere else. Whimsical articles that make your day, incisive articles that drive the conversation, leaving the national press to catch up.
For those of us who served, this is an invaluable connection to our roots. When I was stationed overseas I read the Stripes daily. With this app I can still keep in touch and get news important to me as a retiree, and more. Stripes features significant, important, articles on topics that are ignored by corporate mainstream media. At times, Stripes starts or drives the conversation with their reporting - and others follow.