Dark Meadow: The Pact
By Phosphor Games Studio, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
FREE VERSION OF THE VISUALLY STUNNING, ENGROSSING STORYTELLING GAME ON YOUR MOBILE DEVICE!
Nominated for Mobile Game of the Year from the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences
* IGN: "worth playing just to experience the game’s huge amount of eccentric dialogue, and to experience the unfolding mystery.... one of the best to hit the App Store in recent memory."
* KOTAKU: "at home in the halls of BioShock's Rapture...disturbingly gorgeous experience."
* DESTRUCTOID: "a very atmospheric and engrossing game with a delicious streak of dark humor coursing through its veins.. worth picking up for anybody with an interest in iOS gaming."
* JOYSTIQ: "It's a surprisingly funny, gorgeous game that's an easy recommendation... ram home the truth that mobile games are getting surprisingly good at creating big worlds on tiny screens."
* TOUCH ARCADE: "The Dark Meadow is a standout in almost every way. From look to setting to the touch-centric gameplay, it shines, and you can tell this title was crafted with much love "
* GIZMODO.UK: "a splendid achievement. The bar has been raised, the gauntlet has been thrown down, and the hyperbole has been exhausted. We can’t wait to see the next game that tries to go one better."
* MODOJO: "a cross between BioShock and Infinity Blade... a hauntingly beautiful and intriguing game everyone should play, as it offers both a compelling adventure and a glimpse into the future of smart phone gaming. "
* GAMEZEBO: "arguably the best title to come to the genre. It's gorgeous, it's creepy, and it's a blast to play. This is the perfect game to play during the Halloween season. "
A dark fairytale of intrigue and mystery, where the sins of the past must be paid for… So sets the stage for The Dark Meadow -- a visually stunning world of deep exploration, gripping story, and heart racing combat, created with the unrivaled power of the Unreal Engine 3.
You awake in a hospital uncertain of how you arrived there or why. An old man warns of a beautiful witch whose minions roam the halls seeking the living. It is only when the witch is destroyed that you will be released from this unrelenting torment.
Using fun and intuitive fully gesture-based controls, you explore the decaying ruins of Montclair Hospital, armed with your crossbow for long-range combat as well as your sword for up close and personal melee battles.
The best elements from role-playing games encourage exploration as a wide variety of items are secreted throughout the world – from hidden scraps of paper that reveal the mystery of your imprisonment, to weapons and items, to money which can be used to purchase better equipment and weapons.
- Visually stunning, photo-realistic world built with the Unreal 3 engine
- A mature plot, stylized as a dark modern fairytale with bizarre twists and turns;
- In-world storytelling and quality acting
- Gesture-based action: crossbow ranged combat with ‘pull back and fire’ mechanic, slashing melee combat with dodging, blocking, and combos;
- Available in English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Korean , Italian, Simplified Chinese, Russian, and Brazilian Portuguese languages.
What's New in Version 1.1.1
-Fixed Retina support issues so graphics on mobile devices now render as they should
-Fixed a bug where health packs were not spawning in world as they should
-Adjusted enemy loot drops to be more generous
-Increased Sun Coin rewards from killstreaks
-Premium Game and upgrade now convert all costs of swords, crossbows, and amulets permanently into gold from sun coins
This game really is something else. It's not everyday I come across a game of this magnitude. Stellar graphics, sound, and an intuitive user interface. Seriously a five star worthy game. However, the real killer for me that cost this game its five-star review was the sun coins. First off, half the merchandise can only be purchased with sun coins; which wouldn't be so bad if the sun coins weren't so impossible to come by in the game! Secondly, the only real way to get sun coins it to pay for them. Whether it be through the tap joy services or through an in-game purchase, I have to pay truly ridiculous prices for sun coins. And due to the fact that we need sun coins to do almost anything in this game, we have to pay ridiculous prices to do anything in this game. If anything, just charge an up front cost for the app itself, instead of having people pay in the game. Now, I'm not saying that the sun coins need to no longer be payed for, nor am I even saying that the prices should be reduced. I'm simply asking that the sun coins be turned into a helpful supplement for the game, rather than the necessity they are currently. In conclusion, this app truly should be worthy of five stars and anybody that's interested in this game need only try it out and they will see that this game... Has some rather impressive potential.
Beautiful graphics, creepy monsters, fun crossbow mechanic, excellent voice acting, witty script and interesting story. Definitely worth a download, even if this isn't your genre. The difficulty may turn you off eventually, though. It's difficult to tell where some monsters are going to fire or swing, and your dodge animation is pretty slow; eventually you'll read the tells, but it's not easy. Dodging feels a little unwieldy, and is unfortunately a requirement to do serious damage, landing "hits" instead of "grazes" (so you can't sit there and eat damage whilst hacking away). Regardless of the tricky and punishing combat, it's worth it to continue the story and hear what the witty, crazy(?), wheelchair-bound gentleman over the intercom has to tell you next.
This deserves special notice, because this is apparently the guy's first time at professional voice acting. He reminds me of Zoltun Kulle from Diablo 3, and he always says something new. That is a lot of voice acting to stay fresh, and it's all marvelously executed. I couldn't find the name of the guy, but if you're reading this, keep it up!
Five star-worthy on graphics, sound, story, and voice acting. 4.5 stars for combat.
Dark Meadow review
I honestly love this game. It's graphics are head-and-shoulders above anything else on the App Store. On top of that, the storyline is intriguing, while the dialogue with your mysterious friend is humorous at times, there is something about it that creates a dark and ominous feeling.
The combat is good and fun, though it could be a little more involved and the dodge buttons could be a mite bit bigger.
One of the best aspects of Dark Meadow is journals and newspaper clippings and books (etc. etc.) that the player can find, which serve the same purpose as the recordings in bioshock or the scanning ability in metroid prime, which is to reveal the backstory behind the story without the player being told directly. They are interesting, and provide replay value to the game.
Overall, the game is extremely creepy and appropriately dark. While the controls are a bit odd and the restricted movement may turn the player off at the start, you will quickly realize it only reinforces the idea that you really have no way of getting out of the Dark Meadow.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Apr 09, 2012
- Version: 1.1.1
- Size: 573 MB
- Languages: English, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: Phosphor Games, LLC
- © 2012 Phosphor Games, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation), and iPod touch (6th generation).
Top In-App Purchases
- 100 Sun Coins$0.99
- 210 Sun Coins$1.99
- 550 Sun Coins$4.99
- Premium Upgrade$1.99
- 35,000 Gold Pieces$0.99
- 100,000 Gold Pieces$1.99
- 1250 Sun Coins$9.99
- 300,000 Gold Pieces$4.99
- 2,000,000 Gold Pieces$19.99
- 800,000 Gold Pieces$9.99