Reading Rainbow: Read Along Children's Books, Kids Videos & Educational Games
By Reading Rainbow
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Hosted by LeVar Burton, the reimagined Reading Rainbow app includes an unlimited library of children’s books and video field trips to ignite your child’s imagination.
• #1 Education app with over 10 million books read & video field trips viewed by children
• Award-winning reading service recognized by Common Sense Media, Mom’s Choice, Dr. Toy and more
• Based on the beloved Emmy award-winning PBS TV series
• Curated library with hundreds of fiction and non-fiction books for children ages 3-9
• Exclusive, newly produced educational video field trips hosted by LeVar Burton
• New books and videos added every week plus recommended books based on your child's age and interests
• Two modes of reading (Read To Me & Read By Myself) and delightful interactive activities in every book
• Rewards to motivate reading
• Parent Dashboard to track a child’s reading progress
How the Reading Rainbow App Works:
• Free to try, select up to 5 books and enjoy a sampling of the educational video field trips.
• Subscribe and receive unlimited access to the library, choose either a monthly recurring subscription for $9.99 or a six-month recurring subscription for $29.99.
• Accounts for up to 5 children in a family, at no additional cost.
• Your subscription is for your iTunes account and can be used on additional iPads you own.
• Payments will be charged to your account at confirmation of purchase.
• Your subscription will auto-renew unless auto-renewal is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You may turn off auto-renewal at any time from your iTunes account settings.
• Subscriptions cannot be cancelled during the active subscription period.
With Reading Rainbow children’s library, it’s easy for your child to find just the right book. Kids travel to themed islands such as Animal Kingdom, Genius Academy, Music Mountain, Awesome People and National Geographic Kids to discover books from acclaimed authors and illustrators. Recommended “just for you” books are customized to your child’s age and interests. New books and videos are added every week, always expanding the collection.
Children can choose from two reading modes: Read By Myself or Read To Me. In Read To Me mode, each book comes alive with audio storytelling by spoken word Grammy winner Burton himself, and his hand selected group of professional actors.
Reading Rainbow exclusive video field trips take children behind the scenes to visit fascinating people and places. These educational videos connect the stories children read to the world they live in.
Parents can track their child’s reading progress in the Parent Dashboard to see books read and time spent reading. Children also earn rewards for each book read to encourage reading.
FREE to try, download the App to explore our worlds of reading while enjoying up to five free books and a sampling of video field trips.
"We've never before seen as diverse a library offered up" – Common Sense Media
“The vibrant games, beautiful illustrations, and cute animation all make for an interactive experience, but kids get hooked on reading books” – PC Mag
“The benefit to children’s literacy development cannot be overlooked” – Smart Apps for Kids
“I love this app and I highly recommend it for children” - Wired Magazine’s GEEKMOM
What's New in Version 1.9.3
- Introducing the all new Music Mountain Island where music and reading play
- Featuring sing-along stories, videos that make you move and music-themed books from Kindermusik and other acclaimed publishers
- Bug fixes and optimization
WOW! My 3yr old Loves It!
It is so nice not to end up reading the same books to my son at bedtime by the end of the week. With this app the stories are interactive and categorized on different sky islands, with a huge library that is so easy my son navigates himself through it. Thank You! The new music island is great, he will surely enjoy it as well. I joined for the six month membership first thing. Reading Rainbow was always one of my favorite shows growing up and I knew that it wasn't going to be a waste of my money, but an investment for my son.
GREAT APP GUYS
Very slow and glitchy
Got this because of Kindermusic advertisements. While the app looks fantastic the Islands take a LONG time to upload and lost the kids interest, most videos would not play smoothly. Was expecting something smoother like the Disneyland app that is seemless and everything loads quickly. I can't see paying money for an app that is more frustrating than useable.
Great idea, but does not work
I purchased a six month subscription, and I am very disappointed with it. The idea is great, but the books take way too long to download. My children will not sit and watch a book load for 20 minutes. The downloads pause if you exit the app to play a different game. Total waste of money.