Vowel Stories for Beginning Readers: Short Vowel Sounds
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
4 star review from BestAppsforKids.com!
"a simple and easy to use app that will support young or struggling readers as they begin to learn about decoding. The app is easy to use, with clear directions and simple controls."
Voted Best App for Beginning Readers by iTeachHub!
". . . apps that have been successful for use with students in the emergent or beginning stages of reading. "
Vowel Stories for Beginning Readers: Short Sounds teaches short vowel sounds a, e, i, o, u. It improves reading skills and builds confidence. The app contains simple stories based on the short vowel sound as well as common sight words that help build vocabulary. This is an ideal app for children who are learning to read or who need to improve phonics skills, fluency (reading speed), and the recognition of letter sounds.
The other apps in this series are "Vowel Stories: Long Vowel Sounds" and "Vowel Stories: Flash Cards". It is also available part of the Vowel Stories app bundle.
* Watch – The app will read to the child while the animated story shows in the background
* Read – The child has the option of reading the story or tapping the screen to hear the sentence
* Fluency information - Contains word and sentence count to help with fluency rates.
* Vocabulary (sight words) – Each story has a vocabulary section with important sight words where the child can tap and hear the pronunciation of the words
* Words are highlighted as the app reads the sentences aloud
* Animated scenes and characters for more interactivity
* Stories are professionally narrated
* Helps young readers identify short vowel sounds (CVC pattern)
* Phonemic awareness (phonics)
* Recognition of sight words
* Early literacy preparation
* Increase listening skills
* Bonus activities and worksheets are available on our website at http://www.quackenworth.com/appactivities.html
* Boys and girls ages 3 to 6
* Beginning readers
* Struggling readers, up to age 8
* English-language learners
This app is also available in an app bundle and contains the following apps:
* Vowel Stories Short - Teaches short vowel sounds
* Vowel Stories Long - Teaches long vowel sounds
* Vowel Stories Flash Cards - has over 500 words including sight words, beginning/ ending consonant blends, and word families
BUILD STRONG READING SKILLS
Parents and teachers in 45 countries have used this app to teach their children short vowel sounds. Further, it has been proven to:
1) Improve reading speed or fluency.
2) Increase the ability to recognized short vowel sounds
3) Increase a child's understanding of rhymes and word families
*The other apps in this series are Vowel Stories: Long Vowel Sounds and Vowel Stories: Flash Cards.
TEACHERS USING COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS
Vowel Stories for Beginning Readers (VSBR) provides teachers with a resource that supports CCSS most directly in the area of Reading: Foundational Skills. Below are the specific standards that are supported.
Reading: Foundational Skills>Phonological Awareness> Kindergarten
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.2 Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.2a Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Reading: Foundational Skills>Phonics and Word Recognition> Kindergarten
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.3a Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.3b Associate the long and short sounds with the common spellings (graphemes) for the five major vowels.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.3c Read common high-frequency words by sight (e.g., the, of, to, you, she).
Reading: Foundational Skills>Phonological Awareness>Grade 1
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.2 Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).
What's New in Version 1.9
Thanks for downloading our app!
- Added word count, sentence count, and suggested words per minute (wpm) - This helpful information for teachers and parents who are trying to improve the fluency rate with beginning readers.
- Added landscape auto-orientation - The app now rotates/adjusts when the device is turned upside down.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jul 30, 2015
- Version: 1.9
- Size: 37.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Quackenworth Inc
- © Quackenworth
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.