By Kevin Umbach
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
If you need help with the app email Kevin at email@example.com. The app DOES work with SPOT and DeLorme/Garmin InReach!
Spot Buddy is an app for tracking SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger and DeLorme inReach devices.
Using the Spot Buddy app on iPhone or iPad is much easier to use and more feature rich than the SPOT and DeLorme tracking websites. The map view in Spot Buddy is fast and intuitive and allows you to use the zooming and panning gestures that you are already familiar with.
Some of the main Spot Buddy features include:
- See one or more SPOT or inReach devices on the map at the same time. This is very useful for group, event or fleet tracking. Or just to see where all your friends are at any given time.
- See the details reported by each device such as latitude, longitude, position time, speed, distance, course, and battery status.
- Custom select the units shown for each device. Speed and distance can be selected in statute miles, kilometres, or nautical miles. Altitude can be selected in feet or meters.
- View both public and password protected SPOT and inReach tracks (knowledge of userid and/or password is required).
- Open a GPS track in Google Earth, Drop Box, Google Drive, or any other app that can read KML files.
- Send GPS tracks in CSV or KML format by using email. Useful for opening track details in Excel or Google Earth on a desktop computer.
- View SPOT or inReach check-in messages. When a SPOT or inReach user sends a check-in message, you see the message in Spot Buddy.
- Share your list of GPS trackers via email. You can send a single tracker or your entire list to a friend as an email attachment. They can then open the attachment and add the trackers to their Spot Buddy instantly.
- View your current location on the map using the built-in GPS.
Spot Buddy reads GPS position details directly from the SPOT LLC and Garmin inReach web service and stores them on your iOS device for viewing. The app developer is not associated with SPOT LLC or Garmin and does not have access to any GPS data or account details obtained while using the app.
What's New in Version 3.6.3
InReach tracking data is now retrieved through Garmin. The app currently supports these GPS tracking devices: SPOT, DeLorme InReach, and Garmin InReach. Spot Buddy now requires iOS9 or later.