By National Park Service
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Discover Boston National Historical Park, home of the Freedom Trail®, and Boston African American National Historic Site, home of the Black Heritage Trail®, with this official National Park Service app. See the premier historic sites associated with the colonial struggle for independence and the birth and growth of the nation.
On your next visit to Boston, use it to explore many of the most important cultural and historical sites in the United States— Old South Meeting House, Old State House, Faneuil Hall, Old North Church, Paul Revere House, Bunker Hill Monument, Bunker Hill Museum, Dorchester Heights, and the Charlestown Navy Yard including USS Constitution, the USS Constitution Museum, and USS Cassin Young. Every site along Boston’s Freedom Trail® is featured.
Boston African American National Historic Site is comprised of the largest area of pre-Civil War black owned structures in the U.S. Learn about the homes, businesses, schools, and churches of a thriving black community that, in the face of great opposition, fought the forces of slavery and inequality.
- Check out historic sites and events with text, audio, images, and video.
- Choose thematic tours, staff picks, or build your own tour.
- Explore the official National Park Service map of Boston that includes large font sizes, easy to distinguish walkways, and dimensional buildings.
- By tapping the “Locate me” icon you will always know where you are.
- Walking directions – Get from one place to another by following a line on the map or a list of directions. Estimated walking times are given.
- Discover alternative modes of transportation.
- Today's Events will let you know about ranger programs, walks, and events that are happening today.
- Accessibility – Audio described images combined with the built-in iOS accessibility features let all visitors experience the historic sites.
- Find other national parks and historic sites in the region and across the country.
What's New in Version 1.2
More ways to discover Boston! Today's Events updated, Interface updates, and bug fixes - not the kind of bugs you might find in the park, but the kind you find in your phone.
Buggy. Not useful. Get another app
The bug that makes this most useless is the inability to pinch them out. It is rather comical. Yes it pinches and then goes right back to us size were you cannot see anything else. So if you sort of kept your fingers on the screen all day and did weird movements of spinning your fingers around you might be able to see something. But if you get a different app you just simply are able to use the map. The app you want instead is the one just called freedom Trail that has the picture of the statue. It is by a well-known company Steve's along with an app designer and works great. It has audio to allow you to just continue looking up things while listening to the events. It also covers a lot more information. I'm very glad someone in the government tried to get this right. I'm so glad they do so many things so well but this was not one of them.
Not completely functional ??
I was using the app and found that on an iPhone 6s when on the Freedom Trail using the map the "...find from my current location" only worked for finding the start of the Trail, not for finding points along the trail. Maybe it's designed that way, but that would be a nice feature to add, if someone didn't want to walk the whole trail but only wanted or had time to see a few things, and wasn't near the start.
Other than that the app was pretty intuitive and easy to use and the information and pictures were pretty good.
Boston history made easy and inexpensive
We loved using the NPS app because the directions were accurate, contained stories of characters from the period and helpful hints on how to break into more than one day. We will use it again to finish freedom trail upon our return
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Dec 08, 2015
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 32.1 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: National Park Service
- © National Park Service
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.