SearchPatterns Pro Air
By Adam Kusch
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Do you FLY for Search and Rescue?
Then this is REALLY the app for you!
Easily calculate various values to help you manage your search patterns.
PLUS have a map displaying the search area and your search pattern, and with GPS equipped iOS devices, you can see your current position as well!
*** BETA: Track GPS Breadcrumbs and view on map
- Export GPS track as a GPX file into a supported app on the iOS device itself, or email it
Featured search patterns:
- Expanding Square
- Creeping Line Ahead (CLA)
- Sector Search
- Track Crawl
For each search pattern, you can:
- calculate total distance of your search
- calculate how long it will take to fly it
- calculate total square area searched
- calculate tracks
- enter wind speed & direction to determine headings to fly
- view/calculate left or right patterns
- display the pattern on a map
- view a Full Screen map in Portrait or Landscape
- view current position with reference to the pattern
- view calculated waypoint Lat/Longs to enter into a search GPS
- mark your current position for where you left track or for a call-around/sighting/on-top
- enter a variation so you can enter all tracks in Magnetic but the pattern is still oriented True North on the map
- enter distances/speeds in: nm / sm / km
- view bearing & distance to CSP from current position
- draw a line direct to the CSP from current position
- export pattern as a GPX file into a supported app on the iOS device itself, or email it
in addition to:
- calculate number of waypoints needed to enter the pattern in a GPS
- tap on the graphic to highlight which legs you have completed (iPad only)
Creeping Line Ahead:
- calculate number of legs to fly based on a given the distance you need to creep (defined search area)
- calculate the maximum distance you can cover based on a fixed amount of legs
- use 60 degree or 30 degree cuts
- calculate subsequent tracks
- use bearing/distance or Lat/Long inputs to calculate subsequent waypoints
Bingo Fuel Calculation:
- enter many airfields from around the world
- obtain METAR/TAF for destination/alternate
- enter fuel flow, airspeed and reserve to calculate your approximate bingo fuel amount from your current position or manually entered position
- can enter en-route winds for more accurate groundspeed variable in the equation
- use this only as a backup/cross-reference -- always refer to your training
Email the developer for questions/comments/requests
What's New in Version 2.6
- Fixed Navigation bars -- can swap tabs around and save their order (iPhone)
- Fixed CSP keyboard covered entry fields (iPhone)
- Performance enhancement for breadcrumb tracking refresh
- Sector Search intercept lines -- toggle ON/OFF in Info tab
- RateApp feature
Good SAR app
There is no doubt that I am going to intigrate this app into my SAR operations. it has the key features and then some for doing a search pattern. if you tell it the wind direction it will even tell you the correct headings for each leg. and the ability to give you the heading to the Comence Search Point (CRP) will also help. Tho to tell the truth, the first place the CRP goes is in my planes GPS so that I can use the autopilot to get there.
there are couple of problems that need to get fixed (hence the 4 stars)
1) you have to be in portrait mode to enter the pattern data. infact you have to have the ipad with the camera at the top. Once the data is entered landscape will only show the map but not the data entry fields. the fact that portait mode is fixed means that I can not have the iPad "upside down" in the plane. a problem as I keep the charging port at the top so taht the cable does not interfere with the ipad mount.
2) there does not seem to be anyway to enter your current position into the CRP. you have to manually load the coordinates. what is worse is that your current coordinates are covered by the little keyboard when you try to manually enter your position in the CRP fields.
3) the little keyboard is to little. in a small plane at 1000 feet you can be bumped around pretty good in the thermals. hitting the right number is a challenge. at least double their size. cover the map if you have to, you don't need it till you hit return anyway.
Reduces workload and increases accuracy
I really appreciate the ease in setting up and the way I am able to track a sector search more accurately. The APP makes a SAR check-ride much easier with consistent elements when changing from one search pattern to another.
Good program, does what we need - a bit of learning curve but intuitive in nature.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Feb 14, 2013
- Version: 2.6
- Size: 2.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Adam Kusch
- © Copyright Adam Kusch 2012. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.