Abacus in Augmented Reality
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
*This app is designed to be as close to real wooden school abacus as the latest achievements in technology (augmented reality) would let us.
**The beads move as you shift your iPad making sounds as they touch one another.
***The ‘transparent’ background gives you a feeling as if you were holding the actual handheld abacus.
Abacus (or soroban) helps a learner develop ability to do the arithmetic calculations MENTALLY. The learner converts the numbers into beads, manipulates the beads, and brings out the result.
It enables learners to
1) understand the basic number systems;
2) understand concepts of carrying and borrowing in arithmetic;
3) understand combinations of 5 and 10 and complements of numbers;
4) visualize close relations between numbers and numerals, and
5) develop learners’ ability to perform mental calculations.
@Reks (aka AtReks) Apps are designed in compliance with Children’s Online Privacy Protection Rule (COPPA).
- Does not contain ads.
- Does not contain in-app purchases.
- Does not contain integration with social networks.
- Does not use analytics / data collection tools.
- Does include links to apps by @Reks in the iTunes App Store hidden in the settings section behind parental gate (child-proof button).
This idea is ok. I love being able to use an abacus with my students and children to help them figure out math problems with a visual… however this doesn't work like a real abacus. You can only move one bead at a time. When working with my students I encourage them to move a group of ten once they have that understanding. I'd like the child to be able to move more than one bead at a time, that is the best way for me as the educator to know that they have a greater understanding of the concepts and can move past counting just by 1's. Even once they have that skill we still need the abacus. I'm hoping the developer will make changes to this app to make it more useful as a tool for learning.
Pretty good but..
Am I missing something? I don't have transparent background..mine is black.
Also..instead of the beads moving when they are just touched, I would like to have the option allowing the child to actually slide the bead over so they are controlling it more.
I will install this on my student ipads when they add the ability to slide a whole row of 10 at once. Everything is based on a 10, so we need to be able to move the whole 10. Also, how about the possibility of splitting the rows into two different colors to show the fives? Great start, but this app needs more work.
- Category: Education
- Released: Jul 14, 2012
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 3.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: natasa gajic
- © @Reks
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.