By Zach Gage
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Finally the Word Game Everyone is Talking About Comes to Mac!
! The #1 Word Game on the Mac App Store !
As seen in Apple's October Keynote!
As Mentioned In The New York Times Magazine, Wired Magazine, NPR, Forbes, and Apple's Recent Press Tour!
Looking for a word game that goes beyond a simple Scrabble/Boggle/Jumble clone? SpellTower is for you.
Best Word Game! - 148Apps' 2011 Best App Ever Awards
- Touch Arcade's Favorite Puzzle game of 2011 -
Ranked #2 in Mashable's Top 10 iPhone Word Games
"Simple, stylish and furiously addictive. Far and away the best ‘pure’ word game on iOS." 5/5 stars - Tap! Magazine
"I'm obsessed, I'm ignoring my family!" - John Moe, NPR Marketplace
"guaranteed to entertain" - IGN
"by far one of the best [word puzzle games] in recent years" - 4.5/5 Stars - Editors Choice - 148Apps
"SpellTower is an extraordinary word game that deserves a place among the best of the genre." - 4/4 - SlideToPlay
"The Boggle Tetris That We Needed"
- Kotaku's Gaming App of The Day
"A must-buy for word fiends, SpellTower is an uncommonly attractive and thoughtfully designed puzzler" - 9/10 - Gold Award - Pocket Gamer
"Elegant, clever and fun. Proof That Word Games Can Be Beautiful" - 5/5 Stars - TouchArcade
"Nervy, humbling, and strangely energizing. If you can handle the stress, SpellTower is magnificent" - 8/10 - EDGE Magazine
"A superb word game... for anyone in your household who loves a good word teaser, even the most technologically-challenged. Grab it and start spelling!" - JayIsGames
"I expect to be playing for a long time" - ZTGD
"It's Boggle on crack... only costs 2$, and your life." - Weekend Confirmed
* Tested.com App of The Day! *
Best iPad apps of the week of nov13th-19th - AppAdvice
"The best word game you haven't played", "A brain-picking puzzler" - Pitchfork / KillScreen Magazine
"I’m already convinced SpellTower is a significantly better game [than PopCap’s Bookworm]."
Find and swipe (or tap!) words in 4 challenging modes. Make long words or use bonus tiles to clear extra letters from the screen!
* RE-IMAGINED FOR MAC *
- Support For Retina MacBook Pro
- Supports Game Center in Mountain Lion (10.8)
- Three Ways To Control Make SpellTower Feel Great Even Without a Touch Screen!
1. Hold and Drag
2. Click Each Letter
3. Click to start spelling, Click again to submit
* WORDS + STRATEGY = AWESOME *
Pick your words wisely! As you work, more tiles rise from the bottom of the screen, and it'll take all of your lexicological wits and tactical know-how to keep them down. If any of the letters make it to the top row, it's game over.
* FOUR AMAZING MODES *
- TOWER MODE : No pressure here. Try and get the highest score possible out of 150 letters, eliminating small words to set up 7- and 8-letter blockbusters!
- PUZZLE MODE : Every word you make adds a new row of letters! Strategic word finding at its best.
- EXTREME PUZZLE MODE : Puzzle mode with the minimum word length cranked up. Experts only!
- RUSH MODE : Rows of letters build up over time. Find words as fast as you can, but be careful you don't back yourself into a corner!
GAME CENTER leader boards and achievements for each mode and highest scoring word!
There is a rare bug in 10.8 that can cause Game Center to block game usage. This bug is not in SpellTower itself.
Hopefully Apple will fix it soon, but in the meantime, here is a workaround:
1) Open "System Preferences" -> click the "Network" icon
2) Choose your active internet connection from the list and click on "Advanced" on the right side of the window
3) Click "DNS" at the top of the window then the "+" near the bottom
4) add 220.127.116.11 to the DNS Servers section, also add 18.104.22.168 then click "Ok"
5) Click "Apply
What's New in Version 3.2
Resizable play window! finally!
I'm so sorry this took so long!
Room for improvement
This is an okay game, with a few nice features, like the volume control, the tutorial, the night time view. It functions nicely -- no crashing or glitches -- and is easy on the eyes.
I agree with others in regard to questioning the word source or authority used in developing the game. Some fairly common words are not recognized by the game.
Some things that are not currently available features, but which the developer might consider adding: a brief explanation of the scorekeeping; an "undo move" (I'm old -- my fingers make mistakes); a way to reset or clear out the overall scores (or the game), so someone else can play, or in case you feel you've maxed out your ability and want to start from "0" again.
I buy a lot of games, but I often don't have time to play them. This is one that I keep coming back to for 5-30 minute spells. Simple, addictive, and stimulating.
I much prefer this to the iOS version, in which my finger always gets in the way of the letters. Both are superbly implemented though, and I recommend checking out other apps by the developer.
The Game Center bug is unfortunate, so I do hope this is resolved soon. Would be great to be able to customize color schemes, and I hope that Mr. Gage has more lined up for the Mac app store.
Good game that could be much better!
I've grown to like this game. It's challenging and has me using a dictionary some of the time. As you begin to make more and more words it gets harder--mostly consonants all in a cluster or vowels in a cluster. I've gotten high scores by trying to minimize the border rows--where the usual unusable letters tend to line up.
I think the creators should also make a game that allows the player to connect words that are placed in the grid but scrambled.