By Maryna Kolokolkina
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Praised by pros and trainers as the most capable and flexible workout planner and tracker.
• The only app that can handle any routine and workout.
• Organizes your workouts and helps you reach your goals in strength, muscle size or weight loss. It will empower you with knowledge and revolutionize your workouts.
• Featured in The New York Times, Consumer Reports, The Daily.
FEATURES (Everything is included into the base price. The Pro addition is explained at the end).
• 280 exercises with animations and step by step instructions. You can add your own exercises.
• Text, pictures, animated GIFs and youtube clips can be attached to any exercise.
• 54 workout routines. You can add your own routines.
• Flexible tracking system for strength and cardio workouts, circuit training, Tabata or any other workout type. Supports supersets, several workout sessions a day, freeform notes and much more. Workout history is fully editable.
• The workout logging screen is optimized for fast data entry. It is extremely feature-rich. You can copy data from the history, add new exercises, images and videos, start timers - all within this screen.
• Bodyweight and assisted-weight exercises automatically account for your body weight.
• GymGoal calculates your One Rep Max for every exercise.
• Workout history by muscle shows muscles that you neglect.
• Weekly and rotating schedules support up to 4 workout sessions a day.
• Body measurements tracking plus additional custom trackers.
• The best in class Body Fat tracking module includes a calculator, several skinfolds (calipers) methods, direct entry. Tracks every method and individual skin folds, explains results.
• One-rep Max, BMI, BMR, TDEE, Target Heart Rate calculators and progress tracking.
• Automatic two-way syncing of BMI, BMR, Body Fat, weight and height with Apple Health. Export of burned calories to Apple Health.
• Two-way syncing with RunKeeper - both cardio and strength workouts.
• You don't need an Internet connection - everything is stored on your device.
• Ability to back up your data to the server (free), or to email it. You can copy your data between iPhones and other supported devices.
• Workout logs, measurements, routines and the schedule can be emailed for review and printing. Workout logs can be opened in Excel.
• You can compare your results to other GymGoal users.
• 3 user accounts.
The Pro addition enables the following features:
• 50 user accounts.
• Professional volume load and training intensities tracking.
YOU CAN DEPEND ON GYMGOAL
• GymGoal is in AppStore since 2008. It is used by over a million people, from beginners to pro athletes and trainers, and even in schools.
• Many people have 6 years of detailed workout history in GymGoal. Years of history do not slow GymGoal down.
• Updates will not lose your routines, schedule or workout history. Even if your iPhone breaks, you will be able to restore your data from the server backup.
What's New in Version 7.8.9
- Bug fix for iPad: the "Performed" switch was hidden
+ Workout calories in History and graphs
New in v.7.8
+ Support for landscape iPad orientation.
+ Automatic but fully adjustable calculation of burned calories.
+ History for each workout routine (in addition to the combined workout history and history for each exercise).
+ Additional data export to Apple Health:
• Cycling distance
• Walking/Running distance
The best there is
I've used Gym Goal since version 1 back in 2010. I've used several fitness apps and I always keep coming back to this one. It has a bit of a learning curve but when you get it figured out, you won't want to use another fitness app. The ONLY thing I can think of that would make this better would be some GPS tracking for outdoor running or cycling. But I don't do either of those so it doesn't really bother me.
I've had this app for over 2 years and it keeps getting better and better. It was best in its genre when it came out and the updates that permit changing exercises on the fly, ETC., keep it there. Get this app.
I tried most of the weightlifting/workout apps and this one is by far the most feature rich!
Ver 7.8.9: Developer keeps adding awesome new features!
Update for version 7.6.6:
The different methods to calculate body fat, in-app instructions for those, and tracking results via current measurement view and trending with graphs and a table view are impressive. As important as body fat, it also shows lean mass in those views. I was using another app for that but will now use this one. The body fat/lean mass tracking looks very polished.
I don’t use RunKeeper so I can’t comment on that new feature but I know RunKeeper is very popular so that was a great addition to the app.
There are also some other minor improvements I appreciated like the option to have the screen rotate if you rotate your phone. The developer is very responsive to constructive feedback, more so than any of the other app support times I have provided feedback and suggestions to.
Original review ————
Overall I feel GymGoal is the best app available to plan and track your fitness sessions. Its main focus is weightlifting planning and tracking but is great for tracking cardio and body measurement-related items too. This app does have a small learning curve compared to some of the other similar apps but that is only because it is packed with so many more features compared to the other similar apps. If you get this app and spend 10 minutes getting familiar with it (built in help files and links to how-to videos linked in the app) you will be much happier with this app over some of the others that might look slicker at first glance or boast having 1000s of built-in exercises.
Over a two week period I downloaded and tried almost every app out there for weightlifting. Many of those apps had some unique must-have feature or did something better than the others but none of them seem to do almost everything I wanted. That was until I tried GymGoal. Before finding GymGoal I had narrowed my choice down to two others. I sent those developers a list of feature requests. Ironically, once I found GymGoal I realized it had all the features of the other two apps along with everything I had on my feature request lists to them!
This app lets you pick existing exercises or you can create new ones and put them into a "routine". The routine mainly consists of the exercises and for each one of them: number of sets, reps, weights, and rest time. You can also attach reminders/notes to the routine and/or to individual exercise sets. The routine is the workout template you follow. Think of it as a printed sheet with all that info, and when in the gym for each exercise if you follow the printout exactly you just check it off and move to the next but if your planned number of reps or weights are different than on the sheet you write that down along with any notes you want to save. Same concept here. None of the other apps have the ability to have all of that in their version of a routine. When you do a routine it will guide you through the workout by showing you the aforementioned information—there is more you can add too, like mark a set as a warmup set, drop set, etc. It is easy to change the reps, weights, or other info mid-routine. Changing the info mid-routine will not modify the routine, it just modifies the exercises logged for that session. As you follow the routine any unmodified sets will get logged with the info from the routine (sets, reps, rest,etc). I like that because during the workout you only have to enter data if it is different than what was planned in the routine!
You can use one of the great built-in routines or create you own. The next optional but effective step is to add one or more routines to the configurable recurring schedule. I love that feature because at a glance I can see what workouts I need to do on what days. All of that helps add structure to your workouts creating a true fitness plan that you can follow and measure your progress!!!
This app does not have 4000 built in exercises but it has a lot and covers all the common ones. One big strength of this app is that it was the best at creating new exercises. You can fully duplicate existing built-in apps or create your own. You can add a lot of text to a new exercise, multiple pictures, pick what things you want to track (reps, sets, weight, time, Max HR, Avg HR, and more), if it is one weight like a barbell or a dumbbell in each hand—in which case it multiplies the weight times 2 in the metrics. All the apps I looked at let you create custom exercises but every one except this one had some type of annoying limitation/lack of feature—some did not allow you to add a description, others no pictures, etc…
Here are some other features I like about this app: 1-rep max calculator and can calculate percent any percent of 1 rep max easy to do during the workout, fitness tracking including custom fields, notes with time stamps (Main page, Routine, Set), color tag sets with can be used as an example to make what tempo (speed) you should be doing that set, mark sets as warmup so that they don't count in the statistics and reporting, very easy to turn two or more exercises into supersets, tracking progress, can back up everything—very important, you can share data (Workouts as html that anyone could see/print or in GymGoal data format that other people with GymGoal can import, great reporting and tracking progress, body map that show how much you are woking/neglecting each muscle area, the developer quickly responded to e-mails I sent him, timer options, HealthKit integration, allows us to have a structured program and not depend on the trainer, great for tracking cardiovascular workouts, goals option w/short,mid, long-term inputs, exercise - 1 or 2 dumbbells per rep configure option, pictures - multiple and can add comments , configurable sounds for timers, some those that need more guidance the app comes with a bunch of built-in routines—some of them can be done at home if you have just a set of dumbbells.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Jun 26, 2015
- Version: 7.8.9
- Size: 60.7 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Japanese, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: Maryna Kolokolkina
- © 2008-2015 SmalTek
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- Pro features$5.99