Lost Cinemas of Castle Park
By Calvium Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Lost Cinemas of Castle Park App is a location-based audio tour of the forgotten cinemas in Bristol’s once thriving cultural centre, Castle Park, which was destroyed by the Blitz during WW2. Featuring 13 cinemas and spanning over 100-years of cinema exhibition, the app automatically triggers context-specific stories about Bristol’s cinema heritage in the places where it actually happened.
• Designed to be experienced in Castle Park
• GPS triggers context-specific stories about the lost cinemas
• Bonus tracks are hidden in the park
• Manual mode allows you to experience the app remotely
• If you are in Bristol then you can check out what’s on at your nearest cinema
• Comment or donate your own cinema memories via Twitter
• The first moving pictures screened in Bristol in 1896
• The development of purpose-built cinemas in the 1910s
• The coming of sound
• The height of cinema-going in the 1930s
• The devastating Blitz of WW2 in the 1940s
• The decline of audience numbers in the 1970s
• The politics of post-war Bristol that lead the area becoming a park.
This is a Cinemapping experience http://www.cinemapping.co.uk developed
in collaboration with Calvium and Bristol City Council as part of an academic research project funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council REACT (Research and Enterprise in Arts and Creative Technology) is one of four UK Knowledge Exchange Hubs for the Creative Economy and is a collaboration between the University of the West of England Watershed and the Universities of Bath, Bristol , Cardiff and Exeter
What's New in Version 1.3
- 3 New Cinemas added near Baldwin Street (The Hippodrome, The People's Palace & The Clare Street Picture House)
- Minor audio bug fixes
- Category: Education
- Updated: Sep 24, 2013
- Version: 1.3
- Size: 101 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Calvium Ltd
- © Charlotte Crofts
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.