By John Famiglietti
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
EasyRoute is a route planner for outdoor activities like running, biking and walking. It's a big help for determining where to go if you want to cover a certain distance or if you want to know how long a particular route is.
Simply tap where you want to go. It will follow roads and paths while also providing the freedom to route directly where you touch.
EasyRoute was written by a runner looking for a quick and easy way to plan routes using an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. Designed to be easy to use, you are never more than one touch away from viewing, adding or editing a route.
Personally, the author of EastRoute has used this program to:
• Plan long marathon training runs, figuring out how far detours should be and how far to go before looping back so the distance comes out right.
• Plan routes before leaving the house. If a park was closed or a road was blocked, could the same mileage be covered by taking a different road or path?
• Use Street View to ensure there is a safe sidewalk or shoulder before running along a busy street or an unfamiliar area.
• Figure out the distance of a walk to grandma's house (and how much farther to avoid the Big Bad Wolf).
• While traveling, to figure out where to run in order cover a desired distance.
Although the author is primarily a runner, lots of feedback from cyclists and walkers has been incorporated into EasyRoute in the 2+ years it has been available on the App Store.
In case you're not convinced by now, here is a quick rundown of the features that make EasyRoute awesome:
- Create a route by following roads or routing directly to where you touch.
- Drag a portion of the route to include a particular spot.
- Easy to undo so you are free to experiment.
- Tap the elevation button to expand the elevation graph.
- Tap and drag the elevation graph to highlight areas of the route.
- Drag the Street View icon onto the map to look around.
- Import and export GPX files directly to and from other apps.
- Export to MapMyFitness.
- Share routes with other users using AirDrop or e-mail. (AirDrop requires iOS 7 and a compatible device.)
- Route can be reversed, made into an "out and back" or be routed back to start.
- Duplicate and modify a route.
- Works in kilometers or miles.
- Save as many routes as your device can hold. (That is probably a LOT of routes.)
- Correctly utilizes all screen sizes including iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
- Universal iPhone/iPad app.
EasyRoute will not bug you to sign up for anything and there are no ads. The philosophy is simple: if you buy it, you can enjoy it with no constraints or compromises.
Just to be clear, this app does NOT record routes based on your movement or give you directions. (If you want these features, let me know!)
There are still many more tweaks, improvements, features and enhancements planned.
Thanks for reading this far down and considering this little app.
What's New in Version 2.8.0
• iPhone X updates
• FIT course export - this enables an easy export, with turn-by-directions, to devices that support FIT course files. (For example, the Wahoo ELEMNT.)
Impressively simple & useful
This does a fantastic job of creating a route along established roads and paths without having to set a waypoint at every little curve along the way. It won me over the first time I used it and was able to tap a location ½ mile away from my home and have it intelligently create a route follows the curves of my road instead of drawing a straight line through other buildings and homes. The elevation feature is a real bonus - letting you know in advance when you’ll need a little extra energy for climbing. I think back to when I was 17 and running around my neighborhood: I used to 1st drive my car along the route I would run and use the odometer reading to estimate how long it was. How far we’ve come!
Great Idea, but ...
The app crashes the moment you set the first pin of your route. I've tried to use the app on iOS 10 (on my iPad) and iOS 11 (on my iPhone 7+). So very disappointed. Will update my rating and review for the app when the developer corrects the problem.
Shut down over and over
Doesn't work at all iPhone 5 and iPhone 6+