By Wild Island Resorts Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Island Compass is THE app to have while traveling in Abaco, Bahamas. All of the main functionality is usable without a connection! So no roaming charges!
Charts are great but if you don't know where you are....charts won't help you. Download the Island Compass and you instantly will know where and how to get to your location.
The app is not meant to be a complete replacement for detailed navigational charts but an additional tool to help you find your way.
Without using the "roaming" feature on your smartphone, the Island Compass App will:
- Show you Where you are
- Show you the direction and distance to your favorite location
- Identify points of interest (resorts, bars, rental property, navigation points, etc)
- Provide contact information to the destination as well as a link to their website How to use the Island Compass
- Download the app prior to arriving in the Bahamas or using a wifi connection once in the Bahamas
- While in the Bahamas TURN OFF your Roaming feature to avoid fees.
- Keep Airplane mode off
- The Island Compass utilizes your GPS function on your phone thus no Roaming fees!
- Touch the icon in the bottom right of the home page
- Select the category you are looking for and het done
- All categories will appear on your map.
- Touch the destination desired and hit "set location"
- You are on your way!
- No fees, no roaming, update using wifi
Frequently Asked Questions:
1). Will I have additional changes on my phone bill for using the a Island Compass. Answer: NO...but you MUST turn off the roaming feature on your phone
2). My phone appears to be "connected" to BTC (Bahamas Telephone Company) even with the roaming feature on. Why is that?
Answer: Your phone "sees" the BTC towers but can not connect with them as long as you have the roaming feature off.
3). If I turn the roaming feature on, can I make phone calls and still use my Island Compass.
Answer: yes but be aware that making cell phone calls from the Bahamas is very expensive and will result in significant charges. You are better off using FaceTime, Skype, Viber or some other VoIP phone service.
4). Does Island Compass show me the safest route with the deepest water to get to my destination?
Answer: No. Island Compass is meant to be a directional tool with information about your destination only. It is not meant to replace charts that may show preferred routes, hazards, markers or water depth.
What's New in Version 1.08