TL;DR: The app for unlimited solving of crosswords published online for Across Lite by major publishers and renowned authors.
Across Lite has always been hand-crafted with an eye for detail that only people who love both software and crosswords can create. Version 4 takes the most polished and smart crossword solver ever built to new heights of usability and performance.
Since 1995, more crosswords are published for Across Lite than any other format. Loyal users have enjoyed our software for decades. Whether you are a beginner or a fanatical expert, you will be able to enjoy the best in crosswords daily.
If you find published puzzles difficult, you can purchase our highly acclaimed trainer crossword series inside the app.
INTRODUCTION: Across Lite is the de facto standard for publishing crosswords on the web - from newspapers such as The New York Times to independent authors - free or with subscription. The app includes a set of bookmarks to some of the well-known sources crosswords published for Across Lite. Downloading crosswords into Across Lite is easy. Puzzles can be downloaded and available to solve even when offline.
HIGHLIGHTS: People who have used Across Lite on any platform know there is nothing Lite about it. It has more user-friendly and advanced features than any other software out there.
In addition to Across Lite signature features that has set the standard such as pen and pencil modes, extensive check and reveal commands, or ink saver for printing, there are ground-breaking features that are much copied but never equaled:
- For the traditionalists, the unique Page View mode allows you to view and solve the crossword just like a printed crossword, the closest you can come to solving on paper. The List View provides the conventional computer-like interface for the gamers. But here is the best part - with single taps you can instantaneously switch back and forth between them allowing a type of solving never before possible. Once you get used to solving like this, nothing less will do.
- The app contains our original invention - SmartMove™ - which captures a method experts instinctively use to solve in a criss-cross manner leveraging previously entered letters. Use it for a while and you will develop that habit for fast and effective solving.
- Because no two solvers are alike, the app provides the most flexible and customizable interfaces. Both left-handed and right-handed people can find a layout that caters to them.
UPGRADE: We request serious solvers and those who appreciate our efforts to consider purchasing an upgrade from inside the app. The upgrade enables the following:
- A timer for those who wish to measure themselves.
- Ability to enter multiple characters for rebus puzzles.
- A unique color and contrast setting feature designed to reduce eye strain from looking at the traditional white background (perhaps because we, at Litsoft, are getting older!). It can be customized to personal tastes and to light conditions, so for example, solving in the dark does not turn you into a lighthouse for your spouse.
Just try it out and we are certain that over time you will discover and come to appreciate all the small touches we have embedded in the app.
NOTE about availability of crosswords:
- This app is a solver for independent crosswords published online in Across Lite format. Other than any crosswords for sale inside the app, it is NOT a supplier of crosswords.
- To respect a publishing site's terms of service and to avoid copyright infringement, it does NOT automatically fetch crosswords for you without visiting the site. Doing so is a violation of publisher copyrights and reputable software will not do this.
- It does NOT guarantee availability of crosswords from publishers who make their own decisions on availability and access including charging for them on their web sites.
If there are any problems with the access to crosswords on any site, please contact the site directly.
Note: After installing this app, if you find the included sample crosswords missing, restart app by double pressing home button, sliding the app snapshot up to stop it and starting the app again from home screen. All sample crosswords will then become visible. This is only required the first time after you install. Will be fixed in an update.
> V4 is a major update that makes any negatives in older reviews moot ...
(V4.0.2 is a maintenance release with minor fixes)
+ iOS 11 compatibility
+ Choice of 10 layouts that will suit any preference
+ Refreshed interface for easier content browsing, faster solving and customization
+ Multiple virtual keyboard choices in both orientations for left-handed and right-handed people
+ Expanded external keyboard functionality with key shortcuts
+ Screen optimization for each iPad Pro size
+ Sharing via AirDrop or Google drive enabled
+ Ink saver option for printing
+ Easier batch deletions from puzzle library
+ PUZ Format V3 with support for clue styling, unicode and emojis
+ Simplified contrast setting (with premium upgrade)
+ Smart zooming and scrolling in layouts where grid is only partially visible
See "What's New" for complete list in the About Across Lite section of Help Panel
Ratings and Reviews
Puzzles are even more fun with Across Lite!
I always look forward to the New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle. A good puzzle and a cup of coffee are a great way to start the day. Since I started using Across Lite, I seem to finish puzzles even faster than before. I like that I can fill in the few letters of a word that I may know, just like I used to in the Times Magazine. I like that the app has different levels of difficulty where you can choose to see your correct letters as you go or not. The app could use some help with rebus puzzles, which are my favorite (besides the cryptic crosswords). Right now, each cell only accepts one letter per square which makes solving a rebus a bit harder since you need to remember what's really in those rebus squares. But even with that, I'd recommend the app. It also makes finding puzzles online easy as pie!
Just installed the update, and haven't seen a rebus to solve yet, so I'm not sure if the programmers have found a way to make rebus puzzles easier to read/solve yet. Still loving the app,
glad this app is here, but needs a tweak
I am really happy to finally see the Across Lite app. I have been using another app to access the NY Times puzzle and am happy to switch over. Each app has its advantages and disadvantages, but I will only speak to Across Lite.
Advantage: you can access the NYTimes puzzle and pay a lot less for the privilege especially if you are a NY Times subscriber (I get the Sunday paper, and this provides the crosswords on line at a cheap price).
Advantage: the user can use a blue tooth keyboard instead of a screen keyboard.
Disadvantage: does not automatically load the puzzle. You need to go to the site, download the puzzle and then select to play with Across Lite--this isn't harsh, just a lot of steps that other apps don't require.
Disadvantage: It does not allow tabbing to the next open/unfinished word in the order that you want (across, down, or nearest), it forces nearest which can make it a bit annoying.
Need to check: I am guessing that since the app downloads the puzzle from the NYTimes, that the user can access the puzzle on multiple platforms (computer, phone, tablet). The other programs require separate subscriptions.
Challenging? Above Average
Like all crosswords puzzles, how difficult or easy they are depends on how literate or well read you are (and what type of upbringing you had in school regarding grammar and English, LOL). In about two hours, I knocked off three crossword puzzles, the first easy one, the large easy one, and the first New York Times crossword (I don't remember the newspaper date :-). I heard that the New York Times crossword puzzles are the most difficult so I thought I'd try one. Like many fairly good crossword puzzles, which this is, it stimulates the mind and makes you think really hard, digging really deep to find some of those words (i'm embarrassed to say that some words were quite easy but ones that took awhile to get.)
- Literate Software LLC
- 46.2 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2017 Literate Software LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Crosswords You Can Finish $3.99
- Premium upgrade $4.99
- Learn Crosswords Vol 1 $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.