Across Lite Crosswords
By Literate Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The iPad app for unlimited solving of professional crosswords published for Across Lite. Whether you are a beginner or a fanatical expert, you will be able to enjoy some of the best in crosswords daily.
"Anyone Can Solve Crosswords With Across Lite for iPad" - PadGadget Recommended app
This lovingly handcrafted third-generation solver is our thanks to our loyal users, many of whom are Across Lite users for more than a decade.
If you find published puzzles difficult, you can purchase our highly acclaimed trainer crossword series inside the app.
INTRODUCTION: Across Lite is the de facto standard for publishing crosswords on the web - from newspapers such as the NY Times to independent authors - most of which are available free. The app includes a set of bookmarks (see screenshot) to some of the well-known sources.
It works well with the web browser on the iPad. When you visit a web page with Across Lite crosswords, just tap the download link. It is that simple. Puzzles are downloaded and available to solve even when offline.
HIGHLIGHTS: People who have used Across Lite on any platform know there is nothing Lite about it. The third-generation pushes it even further to keep it the most sophisticated crossword app on the iPad like its desktop counterparts.
In addition to Across Lite signature features you have come to expect such as pen and pencil modes, extensive check and reveal commands, etc., there are new ground-breaking features:
- For the traditionalists, the unique Page View mode allows you to view and solve the crossword just like a printed crossword, the closest you can come to solving on paper. The List View provides the conventional computer-like interface for the gamers. But here is the best part - with single taps you can instantaneously switch back and forth between them allowing a type of solving never before possible. Once you get used to solving like this, nothing less will do.
- The app contains our unique invention - SmartMove™ - which captures a method experts instinctively use to solve in a criss-cross manner leveraging previously entered letters. Use it for a while and you will develop that habit for fast and effective solving.
UPGRADE: We request serious solvers and those who appreciate our efforts to consider purchasing an upgrade from inside the app. The upgrade enables the following:
- A timer for those who wish to measure themselves.
- Ability to enter multiple characters for rebus puzzles.
- A unique color and contrast setting feature designed to reduce eye strain from looking at the traditional white background (perhaps because we, at Litsoft, are getting older!). It can be customized to personal tastes and to light conditions, so for example, solving in the dark does not turn you into a lighthouse for your spouse.
- A unique touch sensitivity adjustment for clues, grid and keys because no two people touch the iPad the same way.
Just try it out and we are certain that over time you will discover and come to appreciate all the small touches we have embedded in the app.
NOTE about availability of crosswords:
- This app is just a solver for independent crosswords published online in Across Lite format. Other than any crosswords for sale inside the app, it is NOT a supplier of crosswords.
- To respect a site's terms of service and to avoid copyright infringement, it does NOT scrape websites or otherwise fetch crosswords for you.
- It does NOT guarantee availability of crosswords from publishers who make their own decisions on availability and access including charging for them on their web sites.
If there are any problems with the access to crosswords on any site, please contact the site directly.
What's New in Version 3.1
iOS 7 compatibility
Smarter layout and movements
User suggested improvements
A detailed list of change and fixes can be accessed in the Help section of the app
Puzzles are even more fun with Across Lite!
I always look forward to the New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle. A good puzzle and a cup of coffee are a great way to start the day. Since I started using Across Lite, I seem to finish puzzles even faster than before. I like that I can fill in the few letters of a word that I may know, just like I used to in the Times Magazine. I like that the app has different levels of difficulty where you can choose to see your correct letters as you go or not. The app could use some help with rebus puzzles, which are my favorite (besides the cryptic crosswords). Right now, each cell only accepts one letter per square which makes solving a rebus a bit harder since you need to remember what's really in those rebus squares. But even with that, I'd recommend the app. It also makes finding puzzles online easy as pie!
Just installed the update, and haven't seen a rebus to solve yet, so I'm not sure if the programmers have found a way to make rebus puzzles easier to read/solve yet. Still loving the app,
glad this app is here, but needs a tweak
I am really happy to finally see the Across Lite app. I have been using another app to access the NY Times puzzle and am happy to switch over. Each app has its advantages and disadvantages, but I will only speak to Across Lite.
Advantage: you can access the NYTimes puzzle and pay a lot less for the privilege especially if you are a NY Times subscriber (I get the Sunday paper, and this provides the crosswords on line at a cheap price).
Advantage: the user can use a blue tooth keyboard instead of a screen keyboard.
Disadvantage: does not automatically load the puzzle. You need to go to the site, download the puzzle and then select to play with Across Lite--this isn't harsh, just a lot of steps that other apps don't require.
Disadvantage: It does not allow tabbing to the next open/unfinished word in the order that you want (across, down, or nearest), it forces nearest which can make it a bit annoying.
Need to check: I am guessing that since the app downloads the puzzle from the NYTimes, that the user can access the puzzle on multiple platforms (computer, phone, tablet). The other programs require separate subscriptions.
Challenging? Above Average
Like all crosswords puzzles, how difficult or easy they are depends on how literate or well read you are (and what type of upbringing you had in school regarding grammar and English, LOL). In about two hours, I knocked off three crossword puzzles, the first easy one, the large easy one, and the first New York Times crossword (I don't remember the newspaper date :-). I heard that the New York Times crossword puzzles are the most difficult so I thought I'd try one. Like many fairly good crossword puzzles, which this is, it stimulates the mind and makes you think really hard, digging really deep to find some of those words (i'm embarrassed to say that some words were quite easy but ones that took awhile to get.)
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Games
- Updated: Oct 26, 2013
- Version: 3.1
- Size: 12.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Literate Software LLC
- © 2011-2013 Literate Software Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Crosswords You Can Finish$2.99
- Premium upgrade$4.99
- Learn Crosswords Vol 1$2.99
- Bogglers and Challenges$1.99
- Learn Crosswords Vol 2$1.99
- Learn Crosswords Vol 3$1.99