Across Lite Crosswords
By Literate Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The iPad app for unlimited solving of professional crosswords published for Across Lite. Whether you are a beginner or a fanatical expert, you will be able to enjoy some of the best in crosswords daily.
"Anyone Can Solve Crosswords With Across Lite for iPad" - PadGadget Recommended app
This lovingly handcrafted third-generation solver is our thanks to our loyal users, many of whom are Across Lite users for more than a decade.
If you find published puzzles difficult, you can purchase our highly acclaimed trainer crossword series inside the app.
INTRODUCTION: Across Lite is the de facto standard for publishing crosswords on the web - from newspapers such as the NY Times to independent authors - most of which are available free. The app includes a set of bookmarks (see screenshot) to some of the well-known sources.
It works well with the web browser on the iPad. When you visit a web page with Across Lite crosswords, just tap the download link. It is that simple. Puzzles are downloaded and available to solve even when offline.
HIGHLIGHTS: People who have used Across Lite on any platform know there is nothing Lite about it. The third-generation pushes it even further to keep it the most sophisticated crossword app on the iPad like its desktop counterparts.
In addition to Across Lite signature features you have come to expect such as pen and pencil modes, extensive check and reveal commands, etc., there are new ground-breaking features:
- For the traditionalists, the unique Page View mode allows you to view and solve the crossword just like a printed crossword, the closest you can come to solving on paper. The List View provides the conventional computer-like interface for the gamers. But here is the best part - with single taps you can instantaneously switch back and forth between them allowing a type of solving never before possible. Once you get used to solving like this, nothing less will do.
- The app contains our unique invention - SmartMove™ - which captures a method experts instinctively use to solve in a criss-cross manner leveraging previously entered letters. Use it for a while and you will develop that habit for fast and effective solving.
UPGRADE: We request serious solvers and those who appreciate our efforts to consider purchasing an upgrade from inside the app. The upgrade enables the following:
- A timer for those who wish to measure themselves.
- Ability to enter multiple characters for rebus puzzles.
- A unique color and contrast setting feature designed to reduce eye strain from looking at the traditional white background (perhaps because we, at Litsoft, are getting older!). It can be customized to personal tastes and to light conditions, so for example, solving in the dark does not turn you into a lighthouse for your spouse.
- A unique touch sensitivity adjustment for clues, grid and keys because no two people touch the iPad the same way.
Just try it out and we are certain that over time you will discover and come to appreciate all the small touches we have embedded in the app.
NOTE about availability of crosswords:
- This app is just a solver for independent crosswords published online in Across Lite format. Other than any crosswords for sale inside the app, it is NOT a supplier of crosswords.
- To respect a site's terms of service and to avoid copyright infringement, it does NOT scrape websites or otherwise fetch crosswords for you.
- It does NOT guarantee availability of crosswords from publishers who make their own decisions on availability and access including charging for them on their web sites.
If there are any problems with the access to crosswords on any site, please contact the site directly.
What's New in Version 3.1
iOS 7 compatibility
Smarter layout and movements
User suggested improvements
A detailed list of change and fixes can be accessed in the Help section of the app
Outstanding iPad app
I've been using the NY Times Crossword app from Magmic since I first got my iPad one. I always resented having to pay to access the puzzles through that app as an annual subscription as well as pay the NY Times a fee if I wanted to access them through their website, which I often do.
Along comes Across Lite for iPad, the same app that the Times offers on their site, and solves that problem. You fetch the puzzle for the NY Times and others directly from their websites and they open in Across Lite. There is a one-time in-app purchase to allow this, but I don't think it's relevant if you really like playing the NY Times and LA Times crosswords, and definitely less expensive than an annual subscription to Magmic's app.
Another advantage of Across Lite over the NY Times Crossword app is that the solution is packaged with the puzzle for Across Lite where with Magmic's app, you need to wait until the next day.
Lastly, the NY Times Crossword app only accesses the Times puzzle, while Across Lite offers a dozen puzzle sources. There's really no comparison.
I'm subtracting a star because the Gaffney daily puzzles don't fit on-screen when using the iPad keyboard. The last row is cut off, forcing the player to us the Across Lite interface instead. Other than that one criticism, I couldn't recommend this app more enthusiastically.
Forget about Magmic's NY Times Crossword app. This is the one to have if you're a crossword fan.
glad this app is here, but needs a tweak
I am really happy to finally see the Across Lite app. I have been using another app to access the NY Times puzzle and am happy to switch over. Each app has its advantages and disadvantages, but I will only speak to Across Lite.
Advantage: you can access the NYTimes puzzle and pay a lot less for the privilege especially if you are a NY Times subscriber (I get the Sunday paper, and this provides the crosswords on line at a cheap price).
Advantage: the user can use a blue tooth keyboard instead of a screen keyboard.
Disadvantage: does not automatically load the puzzle. You need to go to the site, download the puzzle and then select to play with Across Lite--this isn't harsh, just a lot of steps that other apps don't require.
Disadvantage: It does not allow tabbing to the next open/unfinished word in the order that you want (across, down, or nearest), it forces nearest which can make it a bit annoying.
Need to check: I am guessing that since the app downloads the puzzle from the NYTimes, that the user can access the puzzle on multiple platforms (computer, phone, tablet). The other programs require separate subscriptions.
I like this, and I've done a number of puzzles since downloading the app.
It took me a while to find the keyboard option because I was looking at my iPad in landscape and the keyboard is only available in portrait. If you're in landscape, it appears that you have to enter letters by tapping the letters arranged on the two sides of the screen, which is awkward.
I like the convenience of online links to many puzzle sources. (I've been doing ones from the Chronicle of High Ed.)
I did a crossword that included several special clues. One square would represent an element, with the abbreviation one way and the name the other. E.g.,Na down clue was ESAU, with "Au" in one square. Across was The Mongol dynasty! With GOLD in that same square. There's no way to type that sort of thing. Maybe the app could give you a special way to mark a square that you know is not a regular letter and you could just remember that it's special. (I've seen other puzzles whe a square is supposed to essential something else -- a shape, a color, or whatever.)
- Category: Games
- Updated: Oct 26, 2013
- Version: 3.1
- Size: 12.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Literate Software LLC
- © 2011-2013 Literate Software Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Premium upgrade$4.99
- Crosswords You Can Finish$2.99
- Learn Crosswords Vol 1$2.99
- Bogglers and Challenges$1.99
- Learn Crosswords Vol 2$1.99
- Learn Crosswords Vol 3$1.99