Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus
By jDictionary Mobile
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
* Featured by Apple in "STAFF FAVORITES" and "WHAT'S HOT"!
Features that make Advanced English Dictionary stand out from other dictionary apps:
• Widely recognized as the most comprehensive English dictionary on the App Store with a 4.9 million word database
• High-quality audio pronunciation (American, British and Australian English)
• Advanced search technology
• Lightning fast and intuitive user-interface
• No internet connection required
• No ads, no in-app purchases
Advanced English Dictionary is a new way to discover meaning. With more than 4.9 million words, phrases, and definitions, including a wealth of new words, sample sentences, Advanced English Dictionary makes it easier than ever before to find the correct meaning of a word.
• Up to 591,700 entries, 4.9 million words, 335,000 relations
• Audio pronunciation (available in American, British and Australian English, in both male and female voices)
• Content sensitive IPA pronunciation symbol assistance
(just tap the pronunciation guides to open it)
• Word origins (etymologies)
• Clear and precise definitions
• Apart from "everyday" words and definitions, Advanced English Dictionary also includes biographical and geographical data, technical and scientific terms and more
• Unique conceptual thesaurus with word links
• Sample sentences show you how to use the words in your own speaking and writing
• Fast look-ups, snappy user interface, smooth scrolling screens
• Editable history/bookmarks function
• Word Shake - shake the device to look up random words!
• Designed specifically for iPhone/iPod touch
• No internet connection required
• Ready for iOS 10
“Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus rises above the rest with a good interface, fast speed, and a unique way of looking up words. […] Recommended for anyone needing a dictionary and thesaurus on the go”
“This is no ordinary dictionary. In addition to being an almost infinite resource of words and what they mean, it also educates users as to how words are linked. […] It’s a new take on an old, but incredibly useful, concept and one that will no doubt gain many fans”
— Clare Hopping, Know Your Mobile
“Its superior biographical and geographical data and its pleasing interface gives jDictionary Mobile's offering a slight edge”
— Sam Felsing, Macworld
“For exploring the language, it has the edge, the upper hand, the whip hand, etc.”
— Tony Smith, TheRegister.com
“This is a sleek dictionary with a cool "word links" feature that briefly describes the history around that word. It's easy to use and I love the pronunciation guide for those more esoteric words”
“Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus app is one of the best reference apps you can download on your iPhone”
— The Recapp
What's New in Version 10.0
• Enhanced for iOS 10
• Updated definition and etymology databases
• Improved fuzzy-search
• Offline audio pronunciation
• Bug fixes
Best app for word finding
This app is a great tool not only for the every day user but for any English language writer to help with word finding, meanings, and even interlinked related words. Most times there are word histories at the bottom of the page telling you how the word was formed. Have had this for years and it is a very valuable app. Worth the purchase!
Wonderful Pocket Dictionary
I have used this dictionary everyday for years but never took the time to review it. Shame on me! It has never let me down. The convenience of having one that works offline cannot be overstated. I still have the oversized paper version near my writing desk but invariably I turn to this one first. A big thanks to its developers!
The iOS 10 upgrade is great.
Anyways, it is a very comprehensive dictionary in its own right. Contains an exhaustive collection of rare, obscure, uncommon, technical and sometimes funny words. Additionally, it is by far the most enjoyable dictionary to view. For some reason, this seems to make the whole experience of using this dictionary more pleasant.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Sep 13, 2016
- Version: 10.0
- Size: 185 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Csaba Kertesz
- © 2008-2016 jDictionary Mobile
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.