Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus
By jDictionary Mobile
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
* Featured by Apple in "STAFF FAVORITES" and "WHAT'S HOT"
Features that make Advanced English Dictionary stand out from other dictionary apps:
● Widely recognized as the most comprehensive English dictionary on the App Store with a 4.9 million word database
● High-quality audio pronunciation (American, British and Australian English)
● Advanced search technology
● Lightning fast and intuitive user-interface
● No internet connection required
● No ads, no in-app purchases
Advanced English Dictionary is a new way to discover meaning. With more than 4.9 million words, phrases, and definitions, including a wealth of new words, sample sentences, Advanced English Dictionary makes it easier than ever before to find the correct meaning of a word.
● Up to 591,700 entries, 4.9 million words, 335,000 relations
● Audio pronunciation (available in American, British and Australian English, in both male and female voices)
● Content sensitive IPA pronunciation symbol assistance
(just tap the pronunciation guides to open it)
● Word origins (etymologies)
● Clear and precise definitions
● Apart from "everyday" words and definitions, Advanced English Dictionary also includes biographical and geographical data, technical and scientific terms and more
● Unique conceptual thesaurus with word links
● Sample sentences show you how to use the words in your own speaking and writing
● Fast look-ups, snappy user interface, smooth scrolling screens
● Editable history/bookmarks function
● Word Shake - shake the device to look up random words!
● Designed specifically for iPhone/iPod touch
● No internet connection required (except to play audio pronunciation)
● Ready for iOS 9
● Powered by iSpeech® technology
“Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus rises above the rest with a good interface, fast speed, and a unique way of looking up words. […] Recommended for anyone needing a dictionary and thesaurus on the go”
“This is no ordinary dictionary. In addition to being an almost infinite resource of words and what they mean, it also educates users as to how words are linked. […] It’s a new take on an old, but incredibly useful, concept and one that will no doubt gain many fans”
— Clare Hopping, Know Your Mobile
“Its superior biographical and geographical data and its pleasing interface gives jDictionary Mobile's offering a slight edge”
— Sam Felsing, Macworld
“For exploring the language, it has the edge, the upper hand, the whip hand, etc.”
— Tony Smith, TheRegister.com
“This is a sleek dictionary with a cool "word links" feature that briefly describes the history around that word. It's easy to use and I love the pronunciation guide for those more esoteric words”
“Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus app is one of the best reference apps you can download on your iPhone”
— The Recapp
What's New in Version 9.0
● Etymologies (word origins)
You will find a clear and brief account of the origins, history, and sense-development of a major part of the modern English vocabulary.
For example, you will learn that the word 'quarantine' comes from Italian quarantina (“forty”), from quarantina giorni (“forty days”). Originally when a ship arriving in port was suspected of being infected with a malignant, contagious disease, its cargo and crew were obliged to forego all contact with the shore for a period of around forty days.
● Database updates
● UI improvements
● Bug fixes
My Reading BFF
I use this app everyday. I got tired of assuming the definition of words based on the context it's written in, and now I can find the exact definition, instantly. I love that it keeps a history of words you've looked up and that it's completely accessible offline. I wish it had a thesaurus, but it does suggest words that have a similar definition to the word you searched for. Special thanks to the developers for steadily releasing updates since I first bought this app in 2008!
Don't listen to the previous reviewer, the app works perfecly on iPhone 6 and iOS 9.
Anyways, it is a very comprehensive dictionary in its own right. Contains an exhaustive collection of rare, obscure, uncommon, technical and sometimes funny words. Additionally, it is by far the most enjoyable dictionary to view. For some reason, this seems to make the whole experience of using this dictionary more pleasant.
I've had this app for several years now. I can't compare to any other dictionary apps because I never needed to try another one. This app is useful to me on a daily basis and it never lets me down. I especially like the phonetic spellings and alphabet included with the definitions. I highly recommend to anyone wanting (and willing) to expand their vocabulary.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Sep 19, 2015
- Version: 9.0
- Size: 50.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Csaba Kertesz
- © 2008-2016 jDictionary Mobile
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.