The Teen and Adult Phonics (TAP) Library offers a growing collection of sequential, decodable digital novels with edgy, engaging themes designed to appeal to teenagers and adults. Care has been taken to build a positive experience for older emergent readers, especially those with SpLD such as dyslexia, ASD or ADHD.
Download the free app to examine all of the support materials, listen to the narrated introduction and read the beginning of any novel in the collection. (If in-app purchases are inconvenient for you, consider getting the TAP Library School Edition instead.)
* BUILD CONFIDENCE with FULLY DECODABLE TEXTS
TAP novels support the teaching of systematic and cumulative phonics to older learners, especially those with learning difficulties like dyslexia. Minimal use of “weird words”—non or not yet decodable words—allows teens and adults to experience success in reading and grow into confident emergent readers.
* PRESERVE DIGNITY
Older learners with severe reading difficulties don’t want to be handed another levelled reader or ”baby book”. These apps combine high-quality, age-appropriate images with clean design. Support materials and level information are kept off the cover and out of the main text to give learners a “novel reading” experience to be proud of. Progress through the book is indicated and encouraged with feedback designed for older learners.
* SUPPORT DYSLEXIC LEARNERS
Attention to the needs of learners with dyslexia or other difficulties (ASD, ADHD) has gone into every feature of the app:
- Open Dyslexia as a font option
- distractions on pages with text are minimal (no movement or sound unless the user interacts with the app)
- easily accessible page numbers and colour coded chapters along the margins
- swipe or non-swipe page navigation allows a reader to touch the page to aid decoding without accidentally changing pages
- images and sound are optional
- optional white noise for masking classroom noise
- save learner preferences and location in each book in a user profile
- unlimited user profiles
* SYSTEMATIC AND CUMULATIVE PHONICS
The library currently contains four novels at TAP Level 2. Level 2 texts are written using fully decodable words of the following types: CVC, CCVC, CCVCC, CV (open syllable). Words can include the consonant digraphs sh, th, ch, wh, qu and ending sounds ck, ng, nk . A small number of single-syllable open-syllable words (eg. “she”) and a very small number of “weird words” (non or not yet decodable words) are used in each book. Users can set their preference for UK or US vocabulary and spelling (eg. ”mum” versus “mom”, ”bin” versus ”trash”). More information on the TAP phonics progression is available on our website, FocusOnTAP.com.
* DESIGNED BY A READING AND DYSLEXIA SPECIALIST
Victoria Leslie, a reading and dyslexia specialist based in Australia, designed the TAP series and is writing each of these high-interest novels. These texts are for use by specialist dyslexia/literacy teachers, schools and parents as well as teens and adults seeking to learn to read.
- fixed a bug where swiping the Profiles table was crashing the app
Ratings and Reviews
Great app for adults who struggle with reading!
A few weeks ago my young adult grandson, who has cognitive impairments, came to live with us. Reading has always been a struggle for him, but he wants to improve. We discovered that he reads on a kindergarten level and has low compression. We wanted to help him but didn’t want to humiliate him with childish apps or children’s books. We found this app and it has been amazing! Even though he struggles with even a phonics level 2, the words are not beyond his ability to sound the out. The stories are mature and meaningful to him. My only concern is that there are only five novels and we will be through them in about 6 weeks. I’m not sure what we will do then as this has been highly effective for him. I am just hoping for more titles by then.
Thank-you for taking the time to share this with us. You **are** an Awesome Great Grandma to have found TAP for your grandson and we're so glad you did. New titles are indeed in the works. With your encouragement, hopefully they'll be ready even sooner. Best regards to you and your grandson! Greg and Victoria
- Gregory McDonald
- 44.6 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2017-2018 Victoria Leslie
- In-App Purchases
- The Gas Men: The Test $2.99
- The Dog Man $2.99
- “Bad” $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.