Read classic books in daily bite-sized bits!
Serial Reader delivers a new part of a classic book every day. Read each issue in 20 minutes or less! Choose from more than 600 classic books for free.
Serial Reader helps you fit the best classic literature into your spare time.
• Hundreds of popular classic books
• Choose when to receive each day's new issue
• Customize with a variety of themes and fonts
• Sync your progress to Goodreads
• Easily lookup words
• Earn fun badges and track your reading streaks
Plus, with an optional one-time in-app purchase:
• Sync your reading across multiple devices
• Highlight text and save notes
• Skip ahead to tomorrow's issue today
• Save books to read later
• Pause delivery of new issues
• App-wide dark theme
Serial Reader has been featured in The Washington Post, Mashable, Lifehacker, BookRiot, MacStories, Gizmodo and was one of Apple's Best New Apps.
More than 600 are currently available, with new titles added each week. Here's a selection of some of the most popular titles:
— Most Popular —
• Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
• A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
• Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
• War & Peace - Leo Tolstoy
• Les Misérables - Victor Hugo
• The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
• The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
— American Lit —
• Moby-Dick - Herman Melville
• Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
• My Antonia - Willa Cather
• Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
• This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald
— Adventure —
• The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
• Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
• Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
• The Odyssey - Homer
• King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard
— Romance —
• Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
• Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
• Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare
• Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
— Science Fiction —
• The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
• 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne
• A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs
— Horror —
• Dracula - Bram Stoker
• The Dunwich Horror - H.P. Lovecraft
• Frankenstein - Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
• The Fall of the House of Usher - Edgar Allan Poe
• The King in Yellow - Robert W. Chambers
• The Wendigo - Algernon Blackwood
— Mystery —
• The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle
• The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie
• The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
— Biography —
• The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
• Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
• Twelve Years a Slave - Solomon Northup
— Children's —
• Peter Pan - J. M. Barrie
• Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
• The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
• Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maud Montgomery
— Fantasy —
• The Well at the World's End - William Morris
• Time and the Gods - Lord Dunsany
• The Wood Beyond the World - William Morris
— Philosophy —
• The Republic - Plato
• Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes
• Rights of Man - Thomas Paine
— Nonfiction —
• Vindication of the Rights of Woman - Mary Wollstonecraft
• On the Origin of Species - Charles Darwin
• The Federalist Papers
• The Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
— Westerns —
• Riders of the Purple Sage - Zane Grey
• The Virginian - Owen Wister
• Gunman's Reckoning - Max Brand
— Religion —
• King James Bible
• The Dhammapada
• The Quran
And many more!
• More than 600 books now available!
• Performance updates & bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
What a great app!
I’ve only been using Serial Reader for a few days, but I’m hooked! The interface is clean and intuitive, as well as being easy to navigate. The accomplishment badges and words of encouragement are a tad bit cheesy, but they can be toggled off if you like.
Overall though, this is a great way to read a book. I started with “The Count of Monte Cristo”, a classic that I’ve been wanting to read for quite some time now, but just haven’t found time to fit into my reading schedule. The notifications come each morning, (you can set them to your own personal preference), to remind me that the next installment of my novel is available. It’s typically a 10-15 minute portion that I can read with my morning coffee.
The number of titles is somewhat limited to what, I assume, is in the public domain. But that still amounts to hundreds of the great classics! These books are available through other apps, but I really love the idea of serving it up in daily bite-size portions that don’t take up too much of my day but always leave me wanting more. Kudos to the developer for a great idea.
I would certainly recommend this app!
I have enjoyed using Serial Reader for the past few weeks and I ended up purchasing the extra features. Two things I'd love to see addressed; the sync, while it works, is a little off. I complete a serial on my phone and sync. I pick up the iPad and tap sync, and it still shows the serial not completed. I would assume it would state I was done with that one for the day. I would also like to see some marking, a badge or similar on finished books, maybe I'm just getting old but I've read 12 books already and I'm forgetting which ones they were when browsing something new to read. I can just see this getting worse. I'd still like to see the detail for the summary and other similar books, so I wouldn't want them hidden.
Update: I just opened this up today from an extended beak and the books I’ve read now have a check mark on them, awesome. I’ll have to check out the sync and if that’s better it will be worth a star bump! Thanks!!
I used Serial Reader several years ago to great enjoyment, but I did not pay as I was a poor, greedy college student.
Today I remembered this app and just had to download it. I was worried cheapskates like me would have led to its discontinuance. I am glad to see that it is still around and has even been improved upon.
I don’t really do much reading on devices because I like the feel of the book and I don’t like to strain my eyes on the phone screen. However, Serial Reader has an attractive, minimalist design and I find it very easy on the eyes.
All around, the app still has a very simple concept and interface which I admire. I appreciate how SR essentially gamifies reading as this keeps me hooked in, and also provokes me to read a section on days when I would not otherwise prioritize reading.
It helps that I actually have time to read now that I am no longer a college student—you know, that old irony. Of course, I also have a lot more money, so I paid for the app right away...really, at a mere $2.99, that was a poor excuse in any case considering I was a top-shelf-scotchoholic for at least 3 semesters.
Anyhow, I had made it about halfway through War and Peace last time. Cheers to second rounds!
- Michael Schmitt
- 30.1 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2019
- In-App Purchases
- Serial Premium $2.99
- Tip Jar - Short Story $1.99
- Tip Jar - Novel $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.