Pluto is the only free app designed to help college students manage money. Featured by Apple's "New Apps We Love", and trusted & loved across 1,500+ U.S. colleges!
We guide you to spend smarter & save up in a simple, automatic, and fun way that fits your lifestyle. No more stressful numbers, ugly graphs and tedious budgets.
"I love that it's catered to students and allows me to compare my spending habits with my peers automatically.. and the challenges make it fun!" - Allison B.
Securely add your accounts (debit, credit cards, PayPal, etc.) so Pluto can help you! We support over 10k U.S. financial institutions. We do NOT support non-U.S. institutions at this time.
HOW WE HELP YOU
Save for Goals, by doing Simple Challenges:
• Do fun challenges tailored to your finances & save up some bucks.
• EX: Take the "Spend Less on Uber" challenge this week, spend under your benchmark, save the difference towards your SE Asia trip!
Compare Finances to Similar Peers, Anonymously:
• Compare your spending to similar peers, grouped by criteria like your age, income, relationship status and college campus.
• The more peers on Pluto, the more accurate it gets - so invite your friends to Pluto!
Understand Your Money with Simple Insights:
• Finally, insights that don't overwhelm you.
• See snapshot summaries, then dive into details only if you want!
Automatic Tracking & Categorization:
• Tracks your financial accounts and activities for you in one place.
• Categorizes all your transactions for you!
• Keeps you on track with our challenge "Spendometers".
• Bank-level security (learn more below).
Search Transactions, Easily:
• Type to search by bank accounts, merchant name and category!
• Want to see all transactions + total spend for Lyft? Type "Lyft" into the search box and boom!
Get Powerful Alerts:
• Notifies you about new transactions, including when you get paid & pay off your credit card bills.
• Encourages and informs you of your challenge and goal progress.
• Tells you how many more times you can spend to stay green!
And best of all, Pluto is absolutely 100% free!
• SMS verification to prevent fraudulent accounts.
-We do not currently support VoIP, Google Voice and international numbers.
-However, if you're a U.S. student studying abroad, please reach out to our support team and we may verify you on a case-by-case basis.
• PIN & Touch ID to protect device-specific account access.
• Bank-grade security & encryption to keep your personal data safe.
• Your bank log-in credentials cannot be stored by us.
• Your money cannot be moved via Pluto.
• Our partner Plaid also partners with Venmo, Acorns & AMEX.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
CNN Money: A recommended app “to keep tabs on expenses”
PT Money: Named as one of 'The Best Personal Finance Software for Taming Your Budget (2019)'
Stacking Benjamins (#1 personal finance podcast by Kiplinger): "This whole idea of gamifying your goals is pretty exciting”
No funds can be moved in or out of Pluto yet, so the savings are virtual. We're working hard to bring you Pluto FDIC-insured accounts and easy in-app transfers - join the waitlist on our app!
Icons by Icons8.
Custom goal photos are here - it's motivation x3000! Search the web or upload from album.
Plus, pull to refresh your dashboard, transactions & account pages!
• Lots of internal upgrades in the mothership so you can fly faster.
• More bug extermination because we don't like to scratch either.
• More UI enhancements you may or may not notice.
Keep the feedback coming - much love! (and stay tuned for a huge feature in the works)
Ratings and Reviews
Pluto has more potential than any other finance app I have seen thus far, and I’m excited to see the app grow and change in ways that make my personal finances much easier (and almost fun) to manage. The app includes so many useful tools and provides such remarkable accessibility to my linked bank account that shows each of my transactions in detail, and even separates them by category of what each transaction was spent on. In the Insights tab of the app, there is an available bar graph that compiles all of my spending habits into an easy-to-read diagram. It shows results from the current week, the past week, as well as the weekly and monthly averages to inform you on what you’re spending on most! The challenges that I’m able to set for myself do genuinely help me save money on certain categories that I’m spending too much on. Pluto sends you notifications to let you know how much you’ve spent in a certain category, and how much you could save if you spent less. Overall, the app is extremely helpful, incredibly resourceful, and it’s still young! Not to mention, the customer service is rapidly responsive and always provides me with accurate information. They reply to any inquiries, questions, or comments within minutes, and the communication service is available on their own app. 5/5 from me.
Developer Response ,
Hi Johnny - we're blushing from your incredible feedback! 😳 This is why we do what we do. We've got a lot more work ahead and look forward to continually improving your Pluto experience + how you manage finances! Much love to you. -Pluto Team
Beautiful interface, simple, efficient and straightforward
I don’t typically write reviews for many apps since they seem to mainly do their job and wouldn’t need one more carbon-copy review, but Pluto is an app that most definitely deserves the recognition and appreciation for its ability to help any age group get an easy and quick start on saving up for any goal. I personally love the interface because it makes it fun to interact with the app and encourages me to steadily work toward my goals. For ex, there are small motivational statements here and there like “let’s do it!” to replace your typical lackluster “okay” button. It’s the small things that matter! Being able to see what category your spending goes under is especially helpful for someone who wipes out their card whenever around friends (my bad). I would highly recommend for anyone who’s looking for a way to break into saving up for a goal!
Developer Response ,
What an incredible review, Jenny. 👌 You're amazing. Thanks for recommending us, and don't hesitate to give more feedback anytime via our in-app chat! -Pluto Team
Best finance app I’ve used
I have tried many many expense apps, but Pluto so far has been the best. Not only does it have amazing UI (which was super hard to come across), it also analyzes how I spend money the way I like (with graphics, categories, etc). The two features mentioned have never been both present in another app I tried before. I also like that I can see how I spend compare to my peers and that I can set challenges for me to save. One more thing: I also really like that I can edit transaction amounts. I’ve either entered every transaction manually (which is annoying and I stop after 2 months), or use an app that enters transaction automatically. The problem with the latter is that in college, we take the bill and Venmo each other a lot, thus the total isn’t necessary what I spend myself. I love that my spendings are tracked automatically AND I can edit it to reflect the true value.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.